Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC picks up "Masters of Science Fiction"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC picks up "Masters of Science Fiction"

ABC Television has picked up IDT Entertainment’s drama series “Masters of Science Fiction,” featuring works from some of the most well known authors of science fiction, the network announced today. Negotiations are underway to include works from Isaac Asimov (author of “I Robot” and “Nightfall”), Ray Bradbury (“The Martian Chronicles,” “Fahrenheit 451”), Harlan Ellison (“A Boy and His Dog,” “Jeffty is Five”) and Robert Heinlein (“The Puppet Masters,” “Stranger in a Strange Land”). IDT Entertainment, in association with Industry Entertainment, will produce a minimum of four one-hour episodes.

“With IDT Entertainment and Industry bringing such high-end talent, we’re very excited about this anthology,” said Quinn Taylor, senior vice president of Motion Pictures for Television and Miniseries, ABC Entertainment. “We’ve been trying to put together this kind of series because it has great potential to become appointment television.”

Writer Michael Tolkin (“The Rapture,” “The Player”) will adapt and direct one episode. Discussions are underway to feature such works as “The Discarded” by Harlan Ellison, “The Last Question” by Isaac Asimov, as well as for Ray Bradbury to adapt his own “Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed.”

“We’re delighted that ‘Masters of Science Fiction’ has found a broadcast home on ABC’s primetime lineup,” said John Hyde, COO of IDT Entertainment. “ABC is the perfect venue for these interpretations of science fiction’s seminal literary voices.”

“We are excited by the response we’re getting from the creative community,” says Industry Entertainment partner Keith Addis. “We are in advanced discussions with distinguished screenwriters and directors to bring the works of these science fiction icons to a broad audience in the most compelling and entertaining way.”

Production on the series will begin this May in Vancouver. Morris Berger, Steve Brown and John Hyde are executive producers for IDT Entertainment. Industry Entertainment’s Keith Addis, Brad Mendelsohn and Andrew Deane are executive producers, and Ben Browning and Adam Goldworm are co-producers.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr...=20060223abc01

I certainly hope it turns out better than it's "sister" show Masters of Horror and also that the network constraints it'll have over not being on Showtime won't cause too many problems.
Old 02-24-06, 11:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Old 02-24-06, 11:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Has lots of potential (then again, so did Masters of Horror).
Old 02-24-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
It looks a little more promising if they would adapt existing works rather than having them write something just for this venue as with Masters of Horror. That would pretty much be a given in Asimov's case.
Old 02-24-06, 01:18 PM

For a moment there I thought I read - ABC picks up "Misfits of Science"
Old 02-24-06, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't mind Bradbury adapting "The Veldt"
Old 02-24-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

“The Last Question” by Isaac Asimov
Hmm...of all the Asimov shorts, I guess I wouldn't have expected that one. Not that it isn't a very good story - just gets a little abstract at the end. I'll be interested to see how they adapt it. Any number of Asimov's Robot short stories would make nice little episodes (sans Will Smith, of course).
Old 07-25-07, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did this ever air? I see it's going to be on in a week or two, Terry O'Quinn is in it, so I'll definitely be watching.
Old 07-25-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, it hasn't aired as yet. Next Saturday is the first episode.

A year and a half after the article.
Old 07-26-07, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Nope, it hasn't aired as yet. Next Saturday is the first episode.

A year and a half after the article.
No kidding, they were really looking to the future on that one, eh?
Old 07-26-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Heinlein works, nice. I would like to see them do "All You Zombies". Although, I really just want a DVD release of Red Planet.
Old 07-26-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well here's to hoping this turns out better than Master of Horror S1 did. I see a lot of potential here, both for good and bad. I'm curious to know what Bradbury they plan to adapt...
Old 07-27-07, 11:41 AM

no Bradbury adaptation...
Episode 1 Clean Escape-adapted from John Kessel
Episode 2 Awakening-adapted from Howard Fast
Episode 3 Jerry was a Man-adapted from Robert A. Heinlein
Episode 4 Discarded-adapted from Harlan Ellison
Unaired Little Brother-adapted from Walter Mosley
Unaired Watchbird-adapted from Robert Sheckley
Old 07-27-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unaired? Have they aired the first 4 or are they planning to can it already?
Old 07-27-07, 07:56 PM

None of the episodes have been aired yet. Unaired means it is not scheduled to be aired on TV. The show will run each Saturday night during August. Maybe we will have the option to watch the two unaired episodes on ABC.com after the four episode run is completed on TV.
Old 08-03-07, 01:45 PM

Masters of Science Fiction too artistic for ABC

"The shame of it is that from the looks of the first two hour-long installments, the network is appallingly firing a fatal bullet through an anthology project of genuine artistic vision. The problem is, it apparently doesn't track as nearly shallow enough for the suits whose job it is to prevent pretty much anything that's unique and imaginative from accidentally leaking out to the public."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/television_masters_dc
Old 08-03-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That article implies this show doesn't suck. Could it be?

das
Old 08-04-07, 08:55 AM

Well If this show turns out to be actually good, heres what will happen...

1. It will debut with decent/strong ratings.
2. It will see a small decline in the ratings.
3. It will be one of the least watched shows of the night.
4. It won't be renewed for another season.
5. It will be replaced by another ABC reality show or Grey's Anatomy repeats.

Then after it's been cancelled by the network...

1. People will send some "Strange" things to the network.
2. ABC will renew it for 8 more episodes.
3. The DVD release is announced.
4. The DVD is Released.
5. The 8 episodes are aired, then cancelled offically.
6. The 8 episodes that aired for the second season will never be released on DVD & people will be pissed.
Old 08-04-07, 08:54 PM

whether or not the show is actually good, heres what will happen...

1. No one will watch it because they never even knew it existed.
2. The few of that do know about it probably won't watch because Masters of Horror sucks, or we will watch it but then wish we hadn't.
3. ABC will cancel production after 6 episodes are completed, but will air four episodes or fewer because of contractual obligations.
4. ABC will spin the cancellation by calling it a "special limited series"
5. Starz Media very likely already had a deal lined up with Anchor Bay to release the episodes on DVD because they know where their bread is buttered.
Old 08-04-07, 10:36 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I watched "The Clean Escape" for two reasons: 1) Sam Waterston was in it [and so was Judy Davis], and 2) there was nothing else on.

It was okay. Not anything really spectacular. Wasn't familiar with the concept or the author's work but watched it nonetheless.

In the end I didn't think it was a wasted hour of TV, but I will watch the Terry O'Quinn ep next week.

I was a fan of Amazing Stories, so I figured why not give this a shot.
Old 08-05-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah there really wasn't anything else on so I checked it out too. It was pretty decent, wasn't terrible. It reminded me of a similar episode of The Outer Limits
Old 08-05-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeporter
Masters of Science Fiction too artistic for ABC

"The shame of it is that from the looks of the first two hour-long installments, the network is appallingly firing a fatal bullet through an anthology project of genuine artistic vision. The problem is, it apparently doesn't track as nearly shallow enough for the suits whose job it is to prevent pretty much anything that's unique and imaginative from accidentally leaking out to the public."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/television_masters_dc
Think the production company's COO still stands by this quote: “ABC is the perfect venue for these interpretations of science fiction’s seminal literary voices.”

I guess with this imposed "Siberia" of air-times, there aren't going to be any re-showings in the near future? My tv has been out for the last week, but I hope to up and running again early this week.
Old 08-05-07, 02:56 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
When they said that the show was hosted by Dr. Hawkins, I figured we'd get to see the good doctor, but he just "voice overs" narration. It's kind of creepier that way.
Old 08-05-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
When they said that the show was hosted by Dr. Hawkins, I figured we'd get to see the good doctor, but he just "voice overs" narration. It's kind of creepier that way.

No offense to Mr. Hawkins, but I think it might have been more creepy to see him actually hosting! I find the voiceover much more effective. This was a gripping first episode and finally captured, for me, the magic of those old anthology shows. I hope they follow through and broadcast the rest of the series.
Old 08-06-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Oh pooh, these things never work out. I was hoping for a teleplay of Alfred Bester's short story Fondly Fahrenheit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.