DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Walt Disney Treasure Wave 6

Old 02-24-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walt Disney Treasure Wave 6

Credit to Steven Wesley at HTF.
-------------------------------------------------------------

UltimateDisney.com reports the following via forum member Bill Cotter (author of The Wonderful World of Disney Television: A Complete History). From UD's homepage:

February 21, 2006 - Last Friday, we passed along information that the first season of "The Mickey Mouse Club" serial The Hardy Boys was expected to be making its way to DVD in this year's wave of Walt Disney Treasures. We've now gotten confirmation of this, as well as new information on the three other Treasures sets that are due, from a forum post made by someone involved in their production. The post hints that follow-up sets Silly Symphonies, Volume 2 and The Complete Pluto, Volume 2 are definitely in place, while the fourth set, tentatively titled Your Host, Walt Disney is currently in the process of having anthology episodes selected which prominently feature Walt himself beyond the introduction.
Old 02-24-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for the info Cam. I'm not a big fan of the non-animation WDTs but I'll probably get Your Host from this set.
Old 02-24-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Thanks for the info Cam. I'm not a big fan of the non-animation WDTs but I'll probably get Your Host from this set.
Exactly...And the Silly Symphonies and Essnetial Pluto Vol. 2 will be must buys for me. Good news!!
Old 02-24-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
Disappointed there is no Chip n Dale set yet. Where is the love for the chipmunks!

Now if I could only get my hands on the first Silly Symphony set...
Old 02-24-06, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
Disappointed there is no Chip n Dale set yet. Where is the love for the chipmunks!
Ditto
Old 02-24-06, 12:02 PM
Banned

while the fourth set, tentatively titled Your Host, Walt Disney is currently in the process of having anthology episodes selected which prominently feature Walt himself beyond the introduction.
I wonder if this Walt Disney DVD will have their recently acquired Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit shorts, that were part of the deal with Universal on the Al Michaels' contract trade.
Old 02-24-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had kinda hoped to see Song of the South make its way into the Treasures series.
Old 02-24-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
What the hell happened to "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh"? It was announced a long time ago and then withdrawn.
Old 02-24-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I remember someone else mentioning that there probably not enough shorts with them in it to warrant their own release.

Originally Posted by dx23
I wonder if this Walt Disney DVD will have their recently acquired Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit shorts, that were part of the deal with Universal on the Al Michaels' contract trade.
Probably next year. They probably need mroe time to sort through everything and get it in order for a quality release.
Old 02-24-06, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I remember someone else mentioning that there probably not enough shorts with them in it to warrant their own release.
There are about 20-something cartoons with Chip 'n' Dale with them, but all but three of them would be included on the last two Chronological Donald Sets or the last Pluto set
Old 02-24-06, 04:15 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Exactly...And the Silly Symphonies and Essnetial Pluto Vol. 2 will be must buys for me. Good news!!
Ditto.
Old 02-24-06, 04:24 PM

Looks like I'll be getting 3 out of the 4 again on this one. What happened to the True Life Adventures set that was supposed to come out? They even have a tentative listing for it on DVDAficionado.
Old 02-24-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Same here.
Old 02-24-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the Oswald shorts will show in a rarities set. Even though Disney acquired all of the cartoons and properties for the charachter, less than twenty survive (in various conditions) that were actually produced by Walt himself. Some of the so called missing cartoons are known to be in the hands of private collections, but even those are from 16mm dupes, and no telling what condition they are in.
Old 02-24-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Now if I could only get my hands on the first Silly Symphony set...
Yeah, I snoozed on release but finally got my hands on a nice set back in June '04. I found it in the Exchange Forum, so I kept it in the DVDTalk family.
Old 02-24-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really wish Disney would release things in sequence, instead of skipping a year to release Vol 2 of some set. Their current method of releasing Treasures really yanks big time.

Particularly since the Elfego Boca/Swamp Fox set left you hanging with both characters, but more so with the Fox. I had been really looking forward watching the Swamp Fox. I'm more than a bit ticked that I won't be able to see the end of the Fox saga until probably the end of 2007.

I dislike continued stories and would have preferred a release like they did with Davey Crockett, over this dual series combination set. I suspect this set was made as a marketing ploy to insure that anyone buying it for just one character would also get the followup set. Disney didn't see fit to pull this nonsense with the Mickey, Donald, Pluto, etc., etc., Treasures. What marketing guru thought this was a good idea?

I sincerely hope Disney doesn't do this sort of thing again, but I'm not hopeful.

I also doubt we'll see SOTS, or similar theatrical releases, as a Treasure. Davey Crockett was an exception (like Swamp Fox and some others) because Disney made it not just as a theatrical release, but also with eventual TV presentation in mind. Sort of made-for-TV movies that debuted in theaters. SOTS, like Darby O'Gill and most major Disney theatrical releases, doesn't fit.

Also, all the Treasures have episodic or serial type content, along with some Leonard Maltin commentary/just a bit of behind-the-scenes stuff. For the most part, Treasures don't really have much on them outside of the actual content they're being released for. They aren't typical DVDs of theatrical presentations with substantial extras. Again, Davey Crockett being an exception.
Old 02-24-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well The Reluctant Dragon and Victory Through Air Power were all theatrical feature films, I think.
Old 02-25-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Good news indeed.
Old 02-25-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Silly Symphonies 2 and Pluto 2 for me.
Old 02-25-06, 05:58 PM

Will definitly get Silly Symphonies! Pluto is a possibility.

Like someone else said I'm still trying to find the first Silly Symphonies.

Tabbi <3
Old 02-25-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I was hoping for more theme park stuff...
Old 02-25-06, 08:12 PM

Amen to that, the only treasure I currently own is the Tommorrowland one.
Old 02-26-06, 08:43 PM

I'm getting double sets of all four. I always have an extra set on hand. Someone in my family is always forgetting to buy them, they go OOP, then they come whinning to me.....
Old 08-10-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From HTF

According to ultimatedisney.com http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html

- Silly Symphonies Vol. 2

- Complete Pluto Vol. 2

- Your Host, Walt Disney

Expected to include complete episodes of Walt Disney's anthology series which prominently feature Walt not just in the introduction, but as host. Exact episodes to be determined. Walt's anthology, initially called "Disneyland" (and later "Walt Disney Presents", "The Wonderful World of Color", "The Wonderful World of Disney", "The Disney Sunday Movie", simply "Walt Disney", and "The Magical World of Disney"), debuted in 1954 and consistently aired through 1990.

- The Mickey Mouse Club featuring The Hardy Boys: The Applegate Mystery

The Hardy Boys, a pair of teenaged brothers with a flair for detective work, were well-known with readers before they were tapped as a serial subject for "The Mickey Mouse Club", Walt's daily variety series, in its second season (1956-57). This DVD will contain the first serial, titled "The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure", which was made up of 20 installments running about 10 minutes each. Disney regulars Tim Considine ("Spin & Marty", The Shaggy Dog) and Tommy Kirk (Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog) portrayed Frank and Joe Hardy, respectively. The siblings returned for a second serial, "The Mystery of Ghost Farm", composed of 15 episodes that aired during the 1957-58 season. Considine and Kirk recently sat for interviews with Treasures host Leonard Maltin and Hardy Boys fans were contacted for additional bonus features.
Old 08-10-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

also a book on the way

Walt Disney Treasures : Disney Comics

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.