Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does picture quality or audio differ for different dvd regions?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any such cases whereby for example
the picture quality for a R1 Batman Begins would be better than a R4(Aus) Batman Begins?
or its just the compatability or the packaging
Old 02-22-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It happens all the time (see Army of Darkness). I don't think Batman Begins had any real differences, though (there would have been more mention of it). Check the DVDBeaver.com comparisons for much more information.
Old 02-22-06, 12:25 PM

yea i get what u mean...
cause im planning to shell out for a Final Fantasy Advent Children
and jeez...im kinda jealous of the Australians out there because what they can get is...

and what the US R1 can get is this...

Old 02-22-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audio and video can vary dramatically from region to region. Support dvdbeaver!
Old 02-22-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVDBeaver is an invaluable resource for many region-to-region comparisons, but their reviews are poorly written and they are rather superficially snooty about what they choose to review (most mainstream American movies-no, most indie and foreign movies regardless of quality-yes, The Rock-yes but only because it's a Criterion).

For these reasons, I rely more often on DVDcompare.net, a just-the-facts-ma'am listing of aspect ratios and special features by region that links to DVDBeaver for more in-depth audio/video comparisons.
Old 02-22-06, 01:35 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow our R1 packaging really sucks.....I think we're the only region that also uses flippers.
Old 02-22-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow I had no idea The Waterboy was Anamorphic in every region except the USA. Lame!
Old 02-22-06, 02:37 PM
Banned

Other regions will also sometimes get a dual-layer version where we get a single. Or we'll get the WS/FS on one disc whereas another region will just get the WS on 2 layers.
Old 02-22-06, 05:27 PM

We're the whipping children of the DVD industry
Old 02-22-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely, I got an education through the years buying dvds from other regions, or buying them from anywhere.

For instance, 1492: Conquest Of Paradise, there was a Japanese release issued in 2001 with excellent video/audio quality, and years later I purchased a Brazil release of the film in 2005, and it had the same WS NTSC transfer, but the video was soft and had problems with it's Anamorphic letterbox feature, and the audio wasn't anywhere near the quality of the JPN edition of the film.

Before the Back To The Future boxset was released on dvd in the USA, I imported it from Australia, and the video on the Aussie version is still much better than the USA boxset.

You have to be careful when buying dvd's from other regions.
Old 02-22-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say to some extent, it definately differs between title to title. Also, the medium also translates into problems .. PAL to NTSC converter on a region free player for example. Also, if you buy anything R0 (China), be warned about titles suffering on the video side.

I've seen disks from every region except 5, but I probably haven't seen enough to say one zone is generally better than another. As others have mentioned, it's always better to do your homework. I'd rather have the best version available and don't mind paying for it.

A couple of examples that I would share:

R1 vs R3 [Kor] Avalon (Oshii). Audio is by far, more natural and imaged on the R3 than the R1 counterpart. The video on the R1 is beat to hell with a master that completely distorted coloration. Everything is more red/orange than it's suppose to be. Packaging on the R3 is digipack with better cover art than R1.

R1 vs R2 [Jap] The Chronicles of Riddick. The audio is more dynamic and cleaner on the much cheaper R1 release. Video transfer appears the same to me. Packaging art is better on R2 .. case is similar.

R1 vs R2 [Scandinavian] Boondock Saints. Audio is by far, more natural, dynamic and thoroughly used throughout the soundfield on the R2 version. Video and packaging (custom slip cover design) are also superior on the R2. Needless to say, R2 = uncut, anamorphic, full bit DTS - R1 = rated, nonanamorphic, DD5.1. Although the difference in price = $20, if not more now.

I used to purchase other zones outside R1 only if I couldn't find them within R1. Then I began buying outside R1 if there were better releases or limited editions.

Last edited by visitor Q; 02-22-06 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 08:29 PM

thanks for the advice people
would u mind helping me decide if i should preorder the Aussie release for advent children or R1
because im not sure if the R4 would be on par with R1 for picture quality

also,im curious to know,why is ezydvd able to get real cool dvd packaging
they had an awesome Batman Begins collector's set while the best the R1 had was that 72pg comic book -_-"
Old 02-23-06, 05:16 PM

anybody has an idea why the R4 has the collectors set while R1 doesnt?
Old 02-23-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same reason Japan got the Alien Head packaging for the Alien Quadrilogy. And that reason is, "Because Jesus hates you."
Old 02-23-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Same reason Japan got the Alien Head packaging for the Alien Quadrilogy. And that reason is, "Because Jesus hates you."
[shakes fist at god]why i oughta...[/shakes fist at god]
Old 02-23-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting .. there's a R2UK version too .. and it's still available.
Old 02-24-06, 01:26 AM

im not quite sure what u meant by that
Old 02-24-06, 02:33 AM
Banned

And damn the folks who won't release the Godzilla-head in America with over 25 DVDs and a book!
Old 02-24-06, 12:07 PM

And also the normal Quadrilogy packaging in Region 2 (UK and Japan, too, I think) is nicer than the US super-yahooza gatefold. A "book" of 9 trays.
Old 02-24-06, 02:10 PM

The ALIEN quadrilogy set released in Japan is better. DTS for all 4 films and slightly better PQ on 3.
The PAL LOTR flicks look MUCH better, more detailed than the R1's
SW TPM has less EE in R2.
Old 02-24-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It happens all the time (see Army of Darkness).
One of the notorious ones was Le Pacte des Loups, aka Brotherhood of the Wolf. Canada got a 3 disc deluxe edition which is also region 1 so most here were picking that up at the time. Turns out the US R1 single disc release has better a picture quality.
Old 02-28-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One of the notorious ones was Le Pacte des Loups, aka Brotherhood of the Wolf. Canada got a 3 disc deluxe edition which is also region 1 so most here were picking that up at the time. Turns out the US R1 single disc release has better a picture quality.
Good call man.
Old 02-28-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
But the canadian version has a longer, better cut of the film IIRC.
Old 02-28-06, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by danicus007
Wow I had no idea The Waterboy was Anamorphic in every region except the USA. Lame!
A special edition will be coming out in June so it isn't lame anymore