Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you transfer music from a computer to the 360?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This probably sounds stupid, but I've already wasted enough time trying and figure one of you guys would have an easy answer. I've got my computer and 360 in the same room, hooked up through the same router. I downloaded that stupid Windows Media Terminal (or something like that) and so now I can stream music/movies/whatever from my CPU to the 360. But I can't figure out how to actually save songs onto the 360 Hard Drive from the computer. I'm trying to use the hard drive for in-game custom soundtracks, can they be transferred from the CPU to the 360 hard drive?
Old 02-21-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From my understanding they can only be streamed.
Old 02-21-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If that is true, this is going to suck ass.
Old 02-23-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Bump. Sorry to drag it out again, but I'm dying here. The music for Fight Night Round 3 is driving me to do horrible things to my 360. I turned it off, but now it's just odd. I looked everywhere online and got nothing, anybody have any advice at all?
Old 02-23-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the only way to save music on the hdd is to rip a disk. Otherwise you have to stream it from the computer or a media player like an ipod.
Old 02-23-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, can you rip mp3s onto the 360 or does it have to be CD format?
Old 02-24-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good question. I don't know.
Old 02-25-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Thanks, can you rip mp3s onto the 360 or does it have to be CD format?
It has to be an audio CD. A data CD full of mp3 files can be played, but it cannot be transferred to the 360 harddrive.

The more I use my 360 and see the potential, the more frustrated I become with how tightly Microsoft locked down this box.

Windows Media Connect is a nice band-aid for those of us without Windows Media Center Edition, but there are so many limitations that attempting to use it for anything more than occasionally, is a real pain.
Old 02-25-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
^ Bump. Sorry to drag it out again, but I'm dying here. The music for Fight Night Round 3 is driving me to do horrible things to my 360. I turned it off, but now it's just odd. I looked everywhere online and got nothing, anybody have any advice at all?
you can still stream your custom soundtracks. you could also transfer all your mp3s to a usb memory key and then just plug that into the xbox and use it that way too i think
Old 02-25-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

streaming the music works great from a computer, you can stream it to the 360 to use as a custom soundtrack, plus wont take up space on the HD on the 360
Old 02-25-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maingon
streaming the music works great from a computer, you can stream it to the 360 to use as a custom soundtrack, plus wont take up space on the HD on the 360
This is exactly what i was going to say. You can setup playlists on your computer and choose them from the dashboard to play whatever soundtrack you want in any 360 game. I never play DOA4 with the original soundtrack and i have no mp3s taking up space on the 360's harddrive.
Old 02-25-06, 06:13 PM
Uber Member

This was posted in the compendium Xbox 360 thread:

Originally Posted by bahgee
You were right! Here is the link to more info. Now I just have to pick up a 200GB Seagate and I'm all set!

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/U...rive%20Mod.htm

Similar to using a USB key, but a lot more space. Not a free solution though (unless you have a spare USB ready hard drive lying around.)
Old 02-25-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one of those portable 20 gigs and it is GREAT. I use it solely for music and pictures. Hook it up to your Xbox and you have a great jukebox.

Thanks for the info xmiyux! I didn't realize it was that easy to use your own music for 360 games! I was playing my ipod to the side and turned the volume down on the TV. :-) Not anymore! Now I just need to add some playlists! :-)

Sam
Old 02-25-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, custom streaming playlists
Old 02-25-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
This is exactly what i was going to say. You can setup playlists on your computer and choose them from the dashboard to play whatever soundtrack you want in any 360 game. I never play DOA4 with the original soundtrack and i have no mp3s taking up space on the 360's harddrive.
Don't you need Windows Media Center Edition to create playlists that are playable from the 360?
Old 02-26-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer
Don't you need Windows Media Center Edition to create playlists that are playable from the 360?
That is actually what i was coming into this thread to ask about. It turns out i hadn't been using playlists, just ripping entire albums to my PC in their own folder then searching under the artist and choosing to play that album. No actual playlist construction.

I looked around trying to puzzle out a way to make playlists with Windows Media Player and couldn't figure it out - so perhaps you are right. Or i'm incompetant. Or both really.
Old 02-26-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
That is actually what i was coming into this thread to ask about. It turns out i hadn't been using playlists, just ripping entire albums to my PC in their own folder then searching under the artist and choosing to play that album. No actual playlist construction.

I looked around trying to puzzle out a way to make playlists with Windows Media Player and couldn't figure it out - so perhaps you are right. Or i'm incompetant. Or both really.
The options we have are:
Rip an audio CD to the 360 harddrive. This allows for playlist creation, less contention for network resources, and is self-contained.

USB thumb drive/supported audio player. Doesn't require any space on the harddrive, less contention for network resources, but no playlists, and have something protruding from the 360 console.

Stream via Windows Media Connect. Doesn't require any space on the harddrive, uses network bandwidth, no playlists, self-contained, access to entire digital audio library, no playlists.

Stream via Windows Media Center Edition. Same as WMC but support for playlists.
Old 02-26-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK. I made a playlist in media player and the 360 sees it but says there are no songs on it. Anyone have any experience with this? THe songs are all MP3's so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Old 02-26-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer
Stream via Windows Media Connect. Doesn't require any space on the harddrive, uses network bandwidth, no playlists, self-contained, access to entire digital audio library, no playlists.

Stream via Windows Media Center Edition. Same as WMC but support for playlists.
Does it use enough network resources that streaming from your PC could be exacerbating any lag you might be having? This might be a contributing factor to my problems in DOA4 since i'm always streaming from the PC in that game.