Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

difference between DVD+RW & DVD-RW?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

difference between DVD+RW & DVD-RW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 05:05 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some help/advice

Need a little help here.

Yesterday I went to Best Buy and bought a Samsung DVD-R120 and after asking what recordable DVD's would be good, to which I was told "they all do the same thing". So I pick up a 5 pack of Fuji DVD+RW for the player.

I rush home all excited like a kid at Christmas to set it up.

I'm pretty sure I have it all hooked up properly incorporating my TV, cable box, DVD-R and stereo system.

I insert afore-mentioned FUJI blank DVD+RW into the DVD Recorder to check it out. After getting an image of a disc spinning in the top right of my screen and the DVD Recorder LED screen saying "Load"; it then stops and ejects saying that the disc is not playable and to check the disc.

I therefore believe that the problem is hopefully just the fact that the disc is a DVD+RW and not a DVD-RW.

Does that sound right? Would the disc eject should it be the wrong type.

According to the manual, if the correct disc is inserted I would get a message asking if the I want the disc formatting. That's a Yes right? So that I can record onto the disc.

Anyway, inside the manual it lists the brands of discs that are known to work with the player so I guess I'll go otu and get some more.

I guess I just need peace of mind that the reason the disc ejected is because it was the wrong type and could not be formatted; and it was nothing to do with the way I have set up my equiptment per the instruction manual.

Anyway, what is the difference between a DVD+RW & a DVD-RW?

Last edited by DVDMagic; 02-20-06 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are technologically different. So you just need to pay attention to both the discs and the machines to make sure you get the right one, every time.

Check out www.videohelp.com for compatibility lists between recorders, players, and blank media. Taiyo Yuden media is usually the best for reliability and compatibility. It shouldn't be any more expensive than others, possibly cheaper.

Wikipedia is great, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_plus_RW
Note the subheading DVD+RW vs DVD-RW.