Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Ultimate Avengers: The Movie'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Ultimate Avengers: The Movie at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20265 and...

Yeah, a missed opportunity. The animation is truly sub-par. It looks like it was all done in somebody's basement, and he drew only 1 of only 10 frames or something, and had his PC fill in the rest. Most of the stuff on Sat morning is better animated, and weekly shows at that.

The storyline could have been better, there is just way too much going on, and it felt way too short.

I recommend people pick up the MTV Spider-Man set instead, if they want a good recent Marvel DVD. Complete with a DTS soundtrack.
Old 02-25-06, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My name is Enoch Allen, and this is my first post.

I just got the Ultimate Avengers DVD from Overstock.com in the mail, and enjoyed it. Yes, the animation is TV quality but no time during the viewing did I see a single visual that reminded me of the squigglecrap of the first season of Home Movies or even CatDog. For horrific, terrifying animation, check those two out. Oh yeah, plus Teamo Supremo.

I literally cannot wait until Ultimate Avengers II, or the Iron Man DTV. And I think John Sinnott was a tad too harsh on Ultimate Avengers.
Old 02-26-06, 08:36 AM
Defunct Account

Hi Enoch, welcome to DVDTalk!

Thanks for reading my review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Ultimate Avengers DVD.

I watch a lot of anime, and UA didn't stand up to most of the anime that's broadcast on TV, much less the OVAs (Original Video Animation - straight to DVD shows that have higher production values since they have more time). I was just expecting OVA quality material, and it was significantly worse than that.

While I agree that UA wasn't the worst animation ever, it should have been very good. "Doesn't suck as much as some of the crap you see on American TV" isn't really a good selling point.

Yes, I'll admit that I was harsh in my review, but I was really disappointed that the movie was so slow starting out and that they tried to put too many subplot point into it. I'm hoping that the sequel and the Iron Man movie will be better.

Thanks for your comments Enoch.
Old 02-27-06, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I expected more from Marvel considering the big fuss they have been making about developing their properties in-house.
Old 02-27-06, 04:35 PM

While i agree with the reviewer wholeheartedly, my son watched the movie and was giddy and excited at watching his favorite superheroes in action. I hope they are not catering these movies for the preteen crowd.
Old 03-03-06, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi videophile,

what can you recommend to see the best animation out there? preferrably japanimation with cool sword-fights

thanx
Old 03-03-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what is this great saturday morning or daytime animation that everyone is talking about? It all sucks today! Saturday morning animation and daytime cartoons haven't been good since the early 90s, but definitely the best during the 80s...It's not just the animation, it's the stories too....what current cartoon has a good story and decent animation????

The AVENGERS movie was very good for its genre. Maybe the expectations are high since it's coming from a high-quality "art" comic brand and maybe because it's a movie, but the animation was good enough...

It would be awesome if they did all the new Marvel movies a la MTV SPIDERMAN - that was the best combination of amazing/creative animation and excellent/replayable storyline...
Old 03-03-06, 09:26 PM
Defunct Account

Masamune -As far as good animation, all of the feature films that Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki does are excellent: Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke just to name a few. Excellent stories but not really action-packed. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is very good, as is Neon Genesis, and they have more action. Also see the list I gave Toddly below.

Toddly- I agree that there isn't much US animation on TV that's good today, but the Japanese have a lot of it which is turning up on US stations. The previously mentioned GitS:SAC is a good example. Check out Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent (my personal favorite), Trigun, Wolf's Rain, etc. etc. All of them put US animation, and Ultimate Avengers, to shame.

I thought that the Avengers animation was really horrid. Jerky and stiff movements. It should have looked BETTER than the MTV Spiderman show (which is/was made in Canada BTW) since it had a bigger budget and more time, but it didn't come close.