Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Concert Review: INXS in Philadelphia, 2.17.06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start off by saying that I am in no way a "huge" INXS fan, but I've always liked them. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see them live with Michael Hutchence. JD Fortune has replaced Hutchence as the new lead singer, and going to the show I was a bit worried that this concert would feel more like an INXS cover band- some guy who can sing them well.

I'm glad I was wrong.

JD Fortune is the perfect replacement for Hutchence. Perhaps it is his experience as an Elvis impersonator that gives him such great stage appeal and confidence, but he also clicks with the entire audience, both males and females. Since I didn't watch Rockstar: INXS, I haven't really heard him sing the classics. I knew he would sound great with the new stuff from 'Switch,' but was pleasently surprised at how well he sang the hits like "New Sensation" or "Never Tear Us Apart" and seemed to have great chemistry with the original lineup- who are all about 20 years older than him.

Just before starting the show, a huge digital clock was projected on the black curtain that covered the stage, counting down from 5 minutes. The Tower Theater got loud in anticipation. When the clock hit zero and the curtain dropped, the band instantly went into Suicide Blonde. The sound was great and the original lineup all looked psyched to be playing again. With the exception of a few songs, the show didn't seem to lose pace at all.

My only complaint? Most of the early setlists I've seen included 'The Stairs' from the X album as the encore opener, along with every other song played in Philly.

Here's the setlist (which varied slightly from the other shows I've read about):

Suicide Blonde
Devil's Party
Mystify
Disappear
By My Side
Afterglow
Taste It
Original Sin
Hungry
Never Let You Go
Need You Tonight
What You Need
Kick
Devil Inside
Pretty Vegas

encore:
New Sensation
Never Tear Us Apart
Don't Change

Opening the show was Marty Casey and the Lovehammers, who also put on a great show. I highly recommend their new CD as well; it's a straight forward rock CD. Not too much screaming, no fancy over dubs, and it was played live perfectly. Casey is a great performer.
Old 02-20-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Short set.
Old 02-20-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It would have cost $400 to see them here in DC. That's $20 a song. No thanks.
Old 02-20-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It would have cost $400 to see them here in DC. That's $20 a song. No thanks.
$400 to see a band with a replacement lead singer from a TV contest!!!! wow
Old 02-21-06, 07:18 AM

$400?! Face Value?? Tickets in Philly were $45 each.
Old 02-21-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kramdenfan
$400?! Face Value?? Tickets in Philly were $45 each.
If you were able to get them during the 10 minute window, yes.
Old 02-22-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I saw them in Los Angeles, and agree. Totally fun show, and while he's no M.H., he does a great job singing and the new songs are decent too.

Marty almost stole the show.
Old 02-24-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to Vegas strictly to see INXS at Mandalay Bay. J.D. is perfect for the band! They put on a really great show. (Though unfortunately, J.D. was sick and his vocals were strained at times. They played one more concert before cancelling 3 shows due to J.D.'s bronchitis.)

Marty was good, too, though many people hadn't even arrived in time for the opening act.

(On a "Rockstar" related note, saw Deanna Johnston perform a short set at the Monte Carlo Brew Pub. She was my favorite female contestant, and she was great! She has such a terrific voice and is a lovely, sweet lady.)