Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Samsung sued over DVD-duping by discontinued player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-20-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Engadget:

"Like a number older DVD players, Samsung's long-discontinued DVD-HD841 can be hacked via a sequence of remote-control keystrokes to, among other things, become a region-free player and disable copy protection. And even though Samsung stopped selling the DVD-HD841 in the US in October 2004, the big US movie studios have decided to make an example of the company. Disney, Time Warner, Fox, Paramount and Universal have filed a suit against Samsung, demanding that the company recall all affected players. Samsung execs are puzzled by the lawsuit and can't understand why the studios are going after the company over a player that the company says was discontinued after the copy-circumvention issue came to light. In the meantime, the lawsuit will likely only serve to call attention the player, which is still available via eBay and other sources for as little as $50. Thanks, guys!"

Here is the link.

I thought some one out there would find this interesting. Though I don't know why they are going after just Samsung. Like the article said, this is not a rare thing with older DVD players.

Btw, mods, I didn't know if this should be in the Store Forum, or this one. Sorry if I guessed wrong!

Last edited by gijon213; 02-20-06 at 03:28 PM. Reason: may not be in right place.
Old 02-20-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are literally hundreds of players which can be hacked by simple remote code to do this. They'll be busy suing lots of people.
Old 02-20-06, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
There are literally hundreds of players which can be hacked by simple remote code to do this. They'll be busy suing lots of people.
You're right. I found how to "mod" my HD841 at a website listing players from probably all manufacturers...
Old 02-21-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can see the studios point of view in that it allows the copying of their material but its a little bit too late for the suit. Im sure there wouldnt have been any lawsuits if all the machine did was contain a region hack.

I think my Philips 642 deactivated the macrovision using older firmware but ive never looked into it. Maybe Philips will be next??
Old 02-22-06, 05:55 PM
AOD

www.vcdhelp.com . It's no secret. There are hundreds. Like everyone is saying, they are going to be busy for a while. They probably chose Samsung because they now have a lot of money. Do you think they would go after Mintek or Cyberhome, etc...? Doubt it, not as much money. Get all the HD-850/950's while you can!