Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Kurosawa - Lucas connection?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure we're all familiar with the fact that a number of elements in Star Wars were inspired by Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.

However, I recently watched Seven Samurai again and was struck by another connection, or at least what I think is a connection.

I think the character of Grand-Dad - the village elder - directly inspired the creation of Yoda. Watch his scenes again in the film and tell me what you think.

He is old -ancient looking even-, face lined with wrinkles, slight of build, sits cross legged on a dais during important meetings, and walks hunched over with a stick cane. But, the most important parallel is found in the scene when the samurai meet with him at the Mill after their arrival in the village. Watch how Grand-Dad sighs and groans. His whole head and body droop when he sighs. Grand-Dad in that scene immediately reminded me of Yoda's sighs, vocalizations and mannerisms.

Whaddya think?
Old 02-14-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kurosawa and Lucas both suck as directors. McG is where it's at!!! Michael Bay rox!!!!one!!!11eleventy!

I saw Seven Samurai about 2 months ago...I'll have to take another glimpse and see...but off the top of my head, that seems like it could very well be an accurate comparison.
Old 02-14-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC, the "We're meant to suffer... it's our lot in life" line in ANH is lifted straight from Seven Sammy.
Old 02-14-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HMMMM...I think you may be right on that one whaaat.