Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Used DVD sale at Tower.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(DEAD) Used DVD sale at Tower.com

On Tower's front page, they are having a used DVD sale, today only, for very cheap prices. There's no free shipping with used DVD's, and I'm not sure if you can use coupons, but the prices are pretty low anyway. They recently had a Used CD sale that I got some great deals on, but you have to accept that the cases may be damaged in some way.

They had some Criterions available, but those seem to be gone now.

Anyway, I picked up Crouching Tiger Superbit, Resident Evil Superbit, Bubba Ho-Tep SE, Stuart Little 02 (for the little one) and Bully for $16.70 plus tax and shipping (came to $23 total for me).
Old 02-13-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, everything good sure went quick...
Old 02-13-06, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the heads up OP. I got the following for $24.95 shipped:

Final Fantasy (DD/5.1/Spec Ed)
Underwaterworld Trilogy
Future Is Wild
Final Countdown (2PK)(Limited Ed.)
Outer Limits (S02)
Old 02-13-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, everything I was slightly interested in is no longer in-stock.
Old 02-13-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got a few, thanks OP. To bad teh criterions are OOS.
Old 02-13-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
got a few, thanks OP. To bad teh criterions are OOS.
Yeah, they show up as low stock when you go through the used page (at least for me), but then when I got the order confirmation email, they say "Special Order".

The titles I grabbed that were actually in stock were:

Sick
The Future Is Wild

I had added on the FedEx 2-day shipping when placing the order since it said they were all in stock, so I just emailed them and told them to cancel the whole order if all the Criterions are out of stock. The two titles in stock wouldn't put me over the $20 threshhold for free shipping, and I was only expediting the order because of the excellent prices on the Criterions.

Thanks anyways, OP. You at least gave me a little excitement today.
Old 02-13-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just about everything I wanted was out of stock. I wanted "Sick" and The Outer Limits.
Old 02-13-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I found a lot of nice stuff, put it all in my cart and 75% of them were out. Then I had to wait 2 hours before making the order. I go back later and, low and behold, the few that were actually still in-stock were now were out
Old 02-13-06, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by natevines
Wow, I found a lot of nice stuff, put it all in my cart and 75% of them were out. Then I had to wait 2 hours before making the order. I go back later and, low and behold, the few that were actually still in-stock were now were out
Well, unfortunately, with any of these types of sales, there's a feeding frenzy and if you snooze, you'll definitely lose. There's clearly limited stock of anything, but even by early this morning, all of the Criterions were gone, and as the day wore on, anything else of value was snatched up.

With their Used CD sale a couple of weeks ago, I got some amazing deals, but the good stuff was gone pretty quickly. You have to get in early. And all in all, of the 10 or so CD's I received, including some box sets, there were only a couple of cracked cases that I easily replaced with backup cases I had around. Otherwise, some of them were in like new condition. We'll see what condition these DVD's arrive in.

But perhaps Tower will start doing these sales more often. Apparently, they have some stock of used DVD's and CD's that they decided to start clearing out. And they must have been pleased with the response to the used CD's, hence, this DVD sale. We'll see.
Old 02-13-06, 08:26 PM

What about the condition of their used DVDs?

I have never ordered used DVDs from Tower Records before. For those who have bought the used DVDs from there before, could you please tell me if their used DVDs' condition is good? Are the discs scratch-free? Are the cases and inserts in mint condition?

I rate DigitalEyes used DVD condition "9" and Overstock's used DVD condition "2", please give me a rating on Tower Records' DVD condition. (10 is the best and 1 is the worst)
Old 02-13-06, 08:34 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
tower is a 6 or 7. I bought when they used to carry a lot of them. This merch could be especially for this sale though and maybe from a differrent source.

Last edited by g; 02-13-06 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-16-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Did anyone else only receive a partial shipment notice from them? Apparently half my order is OOS. The ones that they are sending me are the ones I added for free shipping.
Old 02-16-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
Did anyone else only receive a partial shipment notice from them? Apparently half my order is OOS. The ones that they are sending me are the ones I added for free shipping.
Same thing happened to me. When I was placing the order, a number of Criterions I added to my cart showed low stock, but by the time I got the email, it said they were "Special Order". I had chosen the two-day FedEx shipping hoping to expedite the order, since it seemed like such a great deal.

So there were two in stock (Future Is Wild, and Sick) that totaled about $7, and then $7 for shipping. I immediately emailed and told them to cancel the whole order. They emailed back and said "Only cancel the OOS stuff, or the whole thing?" I replied to cancel the whole thing, and then I got an email saying my two items were shipped, and then another email saying my backordered stuff was cancelled.

What are my options to get my money back? If I had known all those Criterions were actually OOS, I wouldn't have ordered anything at all. I know I could probably send them back to Tower for a refund/credit, but I'd still be out the $6.95 shipping, plus whatever it cost to get back to them, which probably isn't worth it.
Old 02-18-06, 03:06 PM

Got my shipment of used DVD's today. Pleased to report that on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate these at an 8. Cases were pretty much in perfect condition. Discs look great. Hopefully others get good ones as well. My order of Resident Evil Superbit didn't ship, so I'm sure it is out and never will.
Old 02-18-06, 04:17 PM

Be sure to check out the DVDs on a DVD player. My Salon Kitty DVD looked great, but didn't play on one player and didn't play past 25 minutes on another. But that might be some kind of other issue.
Old 02-18-06, 04:36 PM

i got my discs yesterday, and both looked perfect. no scratches or banged up cases or anything, but i haven't tried playing them yet.
Old 02-18-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

got mine today...all were in perfect condition... one or two had a finger print on em ..all came with inserts...no stickers on em ..each was in plastic protector thingys..(not original)...better condition than their used CDs were in when I placed an order ~two weeks ago
Old 02-18-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid the extra $6.95 shipping & only I dvd shipped. I called and complained about it and got a refund.
Old 02-19-06, 03:02 PM

I ordered:

1. Anna Nicole Show (S01) $2.74
2. Images $2.74
3. Elaine Stritch At Liberty $3.49
4. Enigma (DD/Spec Ed) $2.99
5. Spellbound Criterion $5.99
6. Together $1.99
7. Anne Frank Remembered $3.99
8. Scenes From A Marriage Criterion $3.74
9. Naked Lunch Criterion $5.99
10. Beauty & The Beast Criterion $5.99
11. Mon Oncle Criterion $4.49
12. Onibaba Criterion $4.49

The First 7 were shipped and all arrived in excellent condition. They were all in almost new condition, just not sealed.
Old 02-19-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by gjamesm
I ordered:

5. Spellbound Criterion $5.99
8. Scenes From A Marriage Criterion $3.74
9. Naked Lunch Criterion $5.99
10. Beauty & The Beast Criterion $5.99
11. Mon Oncle Criterion $4.49
12. Onibaba Criterion $4.49
Holy crap... so how many people got in on these deals?