Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

'Box Sets'...do you count as more than 1 title?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-11-06, 01:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

In my DVD Profiler...some are set up as 1 title/1 entry. Ex: "Alien Quadrilogy" is 1 title instead of maybe 4 for the 4 separate movies.

However, "The Indiana Jones Collection" is listed as 4 separate titles/4 separate entries (incudes Bonus DVD). I believe in both cases this is just how it was set up, not my doing.

I just got the "Final Destination" 2-pack. Now, there is 3 separate UPC's. 2 for the individual movies and then one for the complete 2-pack as one entry with the slipcase cover art.

I think I want to add these as separate since it is 2 different movies in two different keepcases, but then i lose the slipcase cover art and the 3rd bonus disc. AQ is the digipak and therefore i don't mind if it is one entry.

So what do you do with your cataloguing in regards to these particular titles and the others that can be somewhat confusing?

And then do I keep with my box sets or horror titles (and therefore it would standout because of the slipcase)? Oh the headaches...

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-11-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I count them as separate. As long as they're films.

I have the Austin Powers boxset, but I count it as 3 since it's 3 different films.

Stuff like Hercules I just count as one, regardless of discs.
Old 02-11-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by T1000
I count them as separate. As long as they're films.
Same here. If I do a count of the "DVDs" I own, I count the independent films that are included. The Matrix Trilogy is considered 4 movies in my book (Matrix, Reloaded, Revolutions, Animatrix).

However, I also count such movies that have two version of the same film as "one" film - such as the extended Sin City, even though both version are included in the same DVD.
Old 02-11-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
I add the individual titles and then put the box set in without a collection number. This way I have a count of the total number of movies owned and it still shows which box sets I have.
Old 02-11-06, 02:05 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, separate UPCs = separate listings. Easier to find that way.
Old 02-11-06, 02:16 PM

I count my DVD's by how many movies are there.

TV shows get 1 listing. Alien Quad gets 4. Those 3 disc $5.50 compilations of cheapo movies that have 9 movies on it gets 9. Porky's/Porky's 2: The Next Day DS disc gets 2.

I count my collection as to how many individual movies I have, not discs.
I don't, however, count feature length documentaries as a title (like some of the listings on DVDaf does).
Old 02-11-06, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
I add the individual titles and then put the box set in without a collection number. This way I have a count of the total number of movies owned and it still shows which box sets I have.
that's a good idea.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-11-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I count my DVD's by how many movies are there.

TV shows get 1 listing. Alien Quad gets 4. Those 3 disc $5.50 compilations of cheapo movies that have 9 movies on it gets 9. Porky's/Porky's 2: The Next Day DS disc gets 2.

I count my collection as to how many individual movies I have, not discs.
I don't, however, count feature length documentaries as a title (like some of the listings on DVDaf does).
i think this way you are padding your DVD collection count considerably.
Old 02-11-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
For me, I think it would depend on how the movies are packaged and how I would have them on the shelf. If they go in an actual box that I will leave them in, I use the one UPC like Profiler does. Now, if it was something where they just took two movies and shrink-wrapped them together like a lot of the 2-packs out there, I would use the UPCs for each movie because I won't be shelving them together, and they're two separate releases anyway.

I'm not really sure what I would do for the FD pack if I had it, since, although they are two separate releases, I would certainly have them next to each other. I suppose I would use the two separate releases since the third is on the way.

BTW, my Indiana Jones set has one UPC in Profiler.
Old 02-11-06, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl

BTW, my Indiana Jones set has one UPC in Profiler.
really? mine has 4 different and 4 different entries. i am not sure if i did it that way or it was already like that when i entered what i think was just the one box set upc.
and now that i just looked at them i don't even see any UPC's so i am not sure how they got into profiler.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-11-06 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I usually count them as one. Its easier that way and I like that sets are listed together.
Old 02-11-06, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I wouldn't consider it padding. The amount of DVD's that I own that have more than one title on it are far less than 50.

Now padding my collection would be counting each individual disc. Hell the X-Files sets alone would put it past 60 DVD's. THAT'S padding!

Counting each movie that I have on DVD, whether it be multiple movies on 1 disc or several, is just cataloging every movie I own. If it's a full length feature, then it goes in as one. If they're a collection of shorts (like the David Lynch collection) it goes in as one.

So if you want padding, then I can say that in my TV sets alone, I have over 1300 individual DVD's.

So is what I'm doing padding now?
Old 02-11-06, 03:32 PM

I have 120 movies, 2 sports, and 3 TV sets. I don't really put much more thought into it after that.
Old 02-11-06, 03:32 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by scott1598
I doubt anyone cares about padding their collection numbers. Not like you get a prize for owning a certain number of discs.

Listing movies individually makes them easier to find, that is for certain. When you have a lot of discs, finding the one you want becomes an issue.
Old 02-11-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
I do exactly the same thing. This also helps me keep tabs on what I've watched and what is still in the queue. If I only have the boxset (say, Indiana Jones) listed, I have to watch three movies and the doc to get it off my list. Whereas if I have them listed individually, I can mark them off one at a time and I feel like I'm accomplishing more.

For sets that don't have individual UPCs on each case, I'll usually add in the individual title (even if it's not the exact same release) so that I can list the supplements and be able to check it off when it is watched/completed.
Old 02-11-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm currently considering a change in my Profiler. Right now I blank the box set collection number, and give numbers to the separate profiles, but I may swap it and do it the other way.

For Alien Quad, I have the profile for the box, each of the 4 movies, and then one for the 9th disc.

For titles that don't have UPC numbers, the disc is uploaded via Disc ID in a computer's DVD-ROM drive.
Old 02-11-06, 04:15 PM

I couldn't find a "profiler" that I liked online, so I made my own with a little html and javascript. All I wanted was a simple inventory, and a list that guests can look at to see what movies I have or that they want to watch. I list all TITLES, so the indiana jones trilogy would be 3 separate titles (i don't count bonus discs) and same goes for my pink panther set. However, to keep them together, I list them as "Pink Panther, The: movie title" and "Indiana Jones And The movie title" etc.

I tried to keep it simple, but couldn't help myslef, so I added "Directors" column. Then I wanted to be able to see just that director's movies, so I made it so I could click on any director's name and get just his movies via a show/hide javascript. Then I made it so I can click on any title and get the disc information from that title via a show/hide layer with javascript. And finally I added a "Notes" column so that I could differentiate between similar titles, like the theatrical and director's cuts of donnie darko for example.

I suppose the the importance of listing your dvds or box sets as 1 or more only matters when you count how many dvds you have.

I just don't count, don't see the point. I also don't see the point of putting my list online, though it is a htm file and I easily could. My dvd collection only spans a little over 300 titles or so though, so I'm only a small fish compared to most of you guys.
Old 02-11-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to, but it became a pain after using DVDAf and DVD Profiler to keep the counts consistent. So now 1 box = 1 title.
Old 02-11-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It all depends on packaging for me too... for example, Indiana Jones, Scream Trilogy and Star Wars sets count as 4, since each has 4 seperate keep cases, whereas a title like the Alien Quadrilogy, Ultimate Matrix, Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection or Robocop Trilogy I count as ONE. I number all my dvds with a "collection" number, so this is how I do it. Of course, a TV show that comes in multiple thin paks, still only counts as ONE title, with all the thinpaks getting the same number (per season).

MATT
Old 02-11-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I know there's been threads about this before but can't find one.

For sets that contain movies that are packaged as individual movies (Jurassic Park, Star Wars, etc) I put each movie in separately.

For sets such as Alien Quadrilogy, the whole kit & kaboodle goes in as one.
Old 02-11-06, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I know there's been threads about this before but can't find one.

For sets that contain movies that are packaged as individual movies (Jurassic Park, Star Wars, etc) I put each movie in separately.

For sets such as Alien Quadrilogy, the whole kit & kaboodle goes in as one.
i am so torn. i really don't know what to do or what my preference is. to have them listed separately or individually? right now, most are one entry in one set...Scream, Star Wars. but, they are 3 different movies in each with 3 separate keepcases. but, Star Wars is not sold individually and Scream is...so you see my quandry.

now, what do you do with "The Godfather Collection"? it is 3 movies, but packaged individually, however in digipaks for each one.
Old 02-11-06, 06:34 PM

I count movies as movies. You can buy them as a set but they're still seperate films. With the Alien series, you're owning four movies, so it's ludicrous its counted as one. But since I don't use any of these systems such as DVD Profiler I guess I dont have to worry about it
Old 02-11-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another plus to having them listed in Profiler as individual titles is that the "Movie Picker" feature for registered users can then pick out a specific movie from the box instead of just the whole boxset.
Old 02-11-06, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Another plus to having them listed in Profiler as individual titles is that the "Movie Picker" feature for registered users can then pick out a specific movie from the box instead of just the whole boxset.
what's this "movie picker" thing? i am registered.
Old 02-12-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my cataloging (in an Excel spread sheet I made) I have a listing for the number of titles in the set (like if there is more than one movie in the set, like the Ultimate Toy Box or Star Wars, for example) and another column to list the number of discs in the sets. That seems to be the best way to me, to keep track of the number of titles and discs separately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.