DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Los Angeles/Hollywood, CA. Another store bites the dust...50% off DVDs

Old 02-10-06, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles/Hollywood, CA. Another store bites the dust...50% off DVDs

Aron's Records
1150 N. Highland Ave.
Los Angeles, CA. 90038

They're going out of business...the store is located a block up from Santa Monica Blvd. Right now they have 50% off DVDs & CDs, 60% off video games. They also have laser discs, books, dolls, tapes, etc. Picked up the following, all are new and sealed:

WWE Vengeance (HBK vs. Angle II) $8.99
Dead & Buried LE $13.99 (is this a good one?)
The Recruit $4.99
Judy Garland Songs for America $4.50
In Dreams $4.99
Along Came Polly $4.99
The Ring/Rings $7.99
Jason Goes To Hell $6.50
Gothika $4.99
My Boss's Daughter "R" Rated $4.99
Legally Blonde 2 $4.99
Young Black Stallion $4.99
Novocaine $4.99
Try! John Mayer Trio $7.99 (any good?)
Old 02-10-06, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CaseyB
Dead & Buried LE $13.99 (is this a good one?)
Yes, it's a great atmospheric horror flick...and that's the 50% off price? No wonder they're going out of business.
Old 02-10-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow...what is the inventory like for dvds and cds?
In the thousands or hundreds?
What will be last day of sale?

Thanks
Old 02-10-06, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've been slowly increasing the percentage off since October of last year. It has gone from 20% to 30% to 40%, and just turned to 50%. Frankly, there is almost nothing left that I would consider a true bargain. New release used DVDs are $14.99-$18.99, so even at 50% off, it is still about the same as Blockbuster's 3 for $25 PVD pricing. There are maybe a few hundred titles left in stock. It has been pretty much picked clean as they are not restocking (with limited exceptions) and the sale has been going for several months now. During the 40% off, I did pick up a Fresh Prince season 2 for $13-ish and Tai Pan for $4.10. I might go back now that it is 50% off to get the Boy Meets World seasons that will now be $15 each if there are any left.
Old 02-10-06, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geeezzzz, I'm sorry to hear that Aron's is going out of business...then again, they did last longer at the Highland location than many people thought they would. (They used to be on Melrose, right on the eastern edge of the "trendy" shopping district.) My favorite memory of this store is the time I was telling someone that my girlfriend had to work, so we weren't going to the Lush concert that night...and the guy pointed out to me that band was sitting right behind me, having just finished a CD signing event.
Old 02-10-06, 02:13 PM

i thought they went out of business last year. oh well. they never had a good selection whenever i was in there. and i what i did find, i could have found cheaper elsewhere.
Old 02-10-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sad to see another independent store disappear, but this place was on its death bed ever since Amoeba opened up nearby. Amoeba doesn't have great prices, but its size and selection dwarfs that of Aron's.

For a while after Amoeba opened, the staff at Aron's actually pretended to care about customers, rather than acting like you were bothering them if you wanted to buy something. I don't what they're like these days because I stopped going there a long time ago.
Old 02-11-06, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I went back tonite, and it took me less than 10 minutes to flip through every DVD left in the store, so that tells you how much is left. I am sad they are going out of business but it is just ridiculous that they now price most recently released USED DVDs at $18.99, so 50% off is still more than they will be at Blockbuster's 3 for $25 PVD prices. Many catalog DVD titles that go on sale new for $5 to $7.50 at Circuit City are used for $14.99 so you could easily pay more even after the 40% off than buying the same title brand new.
Old 02-12-06, 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear this also...

I have fond memories of Aron's when they were on Melrose...

Record execs used to bring in promos for cash and the Aron's would turn around and sell the promos cheaply...

Oh well...
Old 02-13-06, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CaseyB
Try! John Mayer Trio $7.99 (any good?)
Yes, It's John Mayer playing more bluesy guitar than the studio albums.
Old 02-18-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whats the latest discounts there? Anyone been there this weekend?And what kinds of dvds and cds new/used are left...might want to drive there from the O.C. if it is worth it.Thanks for any updates..