Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Help, DVD addiction taking over...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, DVD addiction taking over...

So it's not so much that I need to buy every movie remotely interesting, but I have a problem with the condition of the cases, and boxes, where minor imperfections bug the heck out of me and drive me up a wall. Other than selling off every 'faulty' dvd, or seeing a shrink, does anyone else have this same problem, and what ways do you go about it solving/avoiding it?
Old 02-07-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't really have that problem. I may give it a once over, and I will go through a few copies to make sure I get one where the cover art is not under the security sticker on the top or bottom. If I can't find one that isn't like that though, I won't pass on buying it just because I may tear off some of the cover.

One thing you could consider is getting into custom cover art. Then you could also have better cover art, and in some cases (pun intended), better packaging (I like keepcases better than digipacks, and digipacks are prone to those imperfections you're trying to avoid).
Old 02-07-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If the DVD plays without problems, I'm happy. I watch the movie for two hours, and look at the case for two seconds, so I try to keep my priorities in perspective.
Old 02-07-06, 09:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have the same problem that you do. I like to have my cases/slipcovers in perfect condition, and it really bothers me when they're damaged. If the DVD is unopened, I take it back, and exchange it for a new one. If it's opened, and quite damaged, I sell it to a used DVD store, or Blockbuster.
Old 02-07-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not registered to give the kind of help you need
Old 02-07-06, 09:41 PM

It used to bother the hell out of me when I get those DVDs with the security stickers that don't completely peel off, and end up leaving remnants making the cases sticky-- I have about 5 or 6 of those.

These days I just deal with it. I think the reason so many people are bothered by those kinds of problems is because subconsciously they think it takes away from the value of the film, or from the value of what it cost to buy it. Sometimes you just need to realize that it's a hobby. They'll never be in perfect condition anyway and in time they'll just decay like every other piece of plastic we spend money on.
Old 02-07-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the cases of old DVDs on your shelf and you may see how worn and dusty they've become from just sitting there; maybe even sun-faded.
Old 02-07-06, 09:52 PM

I used to be way more picky about condition than I am now. Now, as long as it looks good enough on the shelf i've got no problems with price sticker reminents or plastic glitches etc...
Old 02-07-06, 11:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love movies and yes the condition of the disk is important. But I don't see anything wrong with making sure the case is good, you're spending your hard earned cash.
Old 02-08-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
As long as the packaging isn't blatantly trashed, I don't care too much. The movie itself is what I am purchasing. Honestly, I would be just as happy with something smaller to contain the disc. I'd also rather have a featurette of some sort than any liner notes/booklet.

However, I can understand wanting a quality product, and striving to get the best for your money.
Old 02-08-06, 08:31 AM

I've found myself caring more about that lately. I also am starting to go more towards the better editions if they have a cooler case.

Chronicles of Narnia is one example. I'll be getting the special edition becase the package looks cooler.

VS

Old 02-08-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to be very picky about the conditon on cases, but not so much anymore. They just set on the shelf.

However, it still pisses me off when the security seal pulls part of the cover off with it.
Old 02-08-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe there is some medication that can help.
Old 02-08-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dream about making or getting custom slim case covers for my entire collection (now over 2000). First it was changing all my Snappers to Keep cases (about 200) which I did. Now I'm in the process of changing standard Keep cases into ThinPak Keep cases. Will it never end? At least it keeps me out of trouble and I get help from the 'Den' collection. I figure its all a part of collecting. I'm loving it.
Old 02-08-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
As long as the disc is ok, I'm ok.
Old 02-08-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I mean Im not going to go out of my way to buy a shitty cover, but the case really isnt all that important to me. As long as it isnt totally fucked up, then I dont really care.
Old 02-08-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like to keep things in good condition just incase It goes out of print and i sell it. For things that I would never sell I kind of like when they get a little worn. For example, alot of my Buffy sets are worn around the edges from being watched so much. Looking at them makes me feel like I really got my money's worth out of them.
Old 02-08-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the condition of the case is bothering you, try taking the disc out and watching it. That should make you forget about the case. If you're still fixated on the case, you're either buying crappy movies or need to see a professional.
Old 02-08-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jigga6286
So it's not so much that I need to buy every movie remotely interesting, but I have a problem with the condition of the cases, and boxes, where minor imperfections bug the heck out of me and drive me up a wall. Other than selling off every 'faulty' dvd, or seeing a shrink, does anyone else have this same problem, and what ways do you go about it solving/avoiding it?
I dont know what type of set you are so meticulous off, but as far as my collections are concerned mostly are Limited Editions, and Collector's set, Im too very picky with it, no dents, scrapes or any minor packaging tear and all are in perfect pristine conditions.

Originally Posted by xage
My small collection of DVDs (Collector's Set, Limited Edition, Giftset, Boxsets)

Thumbnail links coincide with how my dvd racks/cabinet looks like (currently there were three racks now in my home)

Last edited by xage; 02-08-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 01:30 PM
Cool New Member

Slowly raises hand...yeah I'm a little picky about my cases for some reason. I get most of my movies from pawn shops so I'll geek out and buy replacement cases for the ones that are all scratched up. I'll also take special care to remove labels very slowly if it's on a digipak case- I've been known to pull out the hair dryer for the really tough ones. Price is the real factor though. If I feel like I'm getting a good deal I'll pick up the movie regardless of the condition of the case.
Old 02-08-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-I normally go through at least a few copies on the store shelf to make sure the coverart is not too high or low thus becoming damaged.

-I immediately goo-gone any areas with sticky residue upon opening

-Needless to say, I will not buy used DVDs of any kind

-I will not buy boxsets online as this almost always guarantees a dented box.

Last edited by JaxComet; 02-08-06 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
I dont know what type of set you are so meticulous off, but as far as my collections are concerned mostly are Limited Editions, and Collector's set, Im too very picky with it, no dents, scrapes or any minor packaging tear and all are in perfect pristine conditions.
Do you open your stuff?
Old 02-08-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
It amazes how much some people spend on DVDs that they never open to watch!

I honestly thought watching films was supposed to be the best part.
Old 02-08-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If one doesn't open their DVDs or if one puts plastic around their DVDs, that's a sign of madness. Their is no rationalization for it - it's called crazy. It is crazy because if a friend comes over and wants to look through your DVD shelf, there should be NO RULES that he hears from you, "Be careful! Don't open that! Open it carefully! Don't rip the plastic off!" If you give your friend a list of rules before allowing him or her to browse your collection, then you are nuts!

Eventhough some DVD collectors treat their DVDs as if they were Poor People's Picassos - they are worthless and shouldn't be treated like valuable art. All it shows is people's obsession and envy of rich people or galleries who have valuable art/sculptures, and treat the stuff they can afford as pieces of art - all it shows is tastelessness and craziness...

Last edited by toddly6666; 02-08-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure if putting your dvds in reasable plastic cases is madness (I don't do it but...) but yea... Keeping them in their factory seals and never opening seems a bit idiotic. That's more of some sort of investment than a film library.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.