Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 05:23 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Surface - *Season Finale*- 2/6

Episode 15

Spoiler:
The residents of Wilmington must evacuate as a tsunami approaches the coast; Laura searches for Rich, whom the military police arrested at the mysterious lab.
Old 02-06-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to it. They promised us answers and by implication some closure but we all know how that goes.
Old 02-06-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I REALLY hope this show comes back in the fall. One of the few new shows I bothered to watch this year.
Old 02-06-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish they would make these kind of shows (like Lost) a 24 show Maxi Series, and then have real closer. Instead they drag them on and make them boeing.
Old 02-06-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, they better bring the show back after that conclusion.

How Laura found Rich was just so unbelievable, but I just had to laugh it off.

I was laughing at Nim just sitting on the couch watching the TV while Miles and Caitlyn were looking for transportation at his house. Nim was so relaxed through.

And then the shot of all of the gang running from the big wave and you see Nim running along with them was too funny.

This is one of the better comedies on TV.
Old 02-06-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Special FX wizardry created through the miracle of modern technology using revolutionary techniques involving a garden hose and a cameraman with Parkinsons.

I must have laughed out loud at the writing several times during the episode. Most notably Laura's line about "The bottom of the world".

Ignoring my comments above ... I loved it.

I hope it comes back.
Old 02-06-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope this won't end up being the final ever episode of this show.
Old 02-06-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
this was the first surface episode I saw. I thought it was great, though the kid jumping off the ferry seemed a bit over the top but it was nice to see that he found Caitlin.

one question though - what was the significance of the monorail to the "bttom of the earth"?
Old 02-06-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You had to love the way after 15 episodes they finally get the 2 sets of principal characters together. Those writers had to be tripping on something.

The look on Rich's face when he realized Nim was in the backseat was too funny. BTW, did I mention how funny I found this episode?

Speculation mode:

Whoever created the nim-like creatures did so to make them eat into Earth's crust, causing plates to shift which caused the tsunami's and inflicted a shift in planetary climate, and the monorails probably go to a "safe" location underground for the time being while mother nature sorts out Earth's surface. Bear in mind they also brought pairs of animal species (a la Noah's ark) to do some re-populating after the new world comes about with the artificially created tsunami's. Just rambling...
Old 02-06-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I agree that Surface is a hilariously goofy show. But its fun, and a nice change of pace from the grim and serious stuff that's more the rage these days. This can't be the end of the series! That didn't really give us anything ... yeah, the two groups met up and survived. But that's about it.
Old 02-06-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I was laughing at Nim just sitting on the couch watching the TV while Miles and Caitlyn were looking for transportation at his house. Nim was so relaxed through.
That was my favorite part, too. He just needed a beer and a remote control.
Old 02-06-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts
As soon as I saw Rich and Laura trying flag down a ride, I said holy crap, they're finally going to meet up.

Anyone get the feeling that Jackson was working with them? Why did it say 'zone chief'?
Old 02-06-06, 11:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I don't get the 'Marianas Trench' comment. That's in the Pacific Ocean, out by Guam I believe. Weren't they in Wilmington, NC? So did the Iderdex people build a railroad through the center of the earth?

And how did Miles get back to his house so quick after he jumped off the ferry? Are we supposed to believe he swam all the way back?

I'm guessing the house had to be at least 10 miles from that ferry dock considering how far (and fast) they were driving before they got to the church.

So did Miles get Aquaman superpowers along with his mosquito zapper skills?

Also, what was the point of getting to the ferry anyway if you didnt have a car on the other side to get further away from the coast? Taking a boat to the mainland isn't gonna help much on the flat east coast if the sea water level rises a couple hundred feet.

That being said....God I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! More Surface please!
Old 02-07-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I think we might be able to catch a glimpse of it over my..... "

I still don't really understand why the CGI work on this show makes these strange huge shifts.. I guess it's a money issue or maybe a few different FX "houses" working on the show?

I mean back at the start in early eps, when the monsters leaped up and ate a boat it was great. I still think Nim is really well done, monsters under water are well done, but then you have stuff like the water pouring into the church? Errrrrrrrrrr?? Done my a kid on a home cpu for a 6 pack of soda?

over all, fun little show and I'm glad I kept watching it this season being IMO, I still think it had one of the worst premier ep out of the three so called --water shows-- at the time. As in Threshold, Surface and Invasion. interesting to see how that all ended up.

I don't think anyone really thought out of those three Threshold would be the one canned first.. Well, not until we saw a few eps of course.
Old 02-07-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't it at night when the pitchfork-toting townspeople learned of the tsunami? Yet in the beginning of the episode it is daytime and everyone is taking their sweet time evacuating. That cracked me up, especially how casual everyone was at the airport, standing around watching the news.
Old 02-07-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't anyone else notice the shakey camera work as a special effect? A lot of shows are doing it to give a documentary feel.

"Ok, we're 100% over budget and we got a second tsunami to pull off. Any ideas? How about we just shake the camera a bit, It worked in Star Trek."

Last edited by Ayre; 02-07-06 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesix
And how did Miles get back to his house so quick after he jumped off the ferry? Are we supposed to believe he swam all the way back?
I'm assuming yes, especially since it appeared he had been swimming underwater when arrived at the dock.

Fun show. Even if it doesn't get picked up, it ended with enough info to
Spoiler:
signify the end of the world as we know it
and that works for me. As opposed to a completely happy ending.
Old 02-07-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Wow. Maybe I went into this episode with the wrong frame of mind, but I thought it sucked! It came off like the writers were told they had one day to write a "finish" to the show when the writers were planning something else. The first 45 minutes were filler - and what was with that "ominous kid" who stakes out the house only to steal the bike? WTF?! It got interesting only when when the main characters finally meet up, but Mile's girlfriend turned into such a whiney idiot I wanted het to drown!

Jadzia mentioned above about the night-to-day shift with ensuing tsunami - this has been a frequent thing I've noticed with the show in that they bend time quite a bit. Back when Doc Girl and DipShit were in the diving bell with 3 minutes of air left, Miles story progresses at least 24 hours. Last week, Doc Girl is on the west coast, but in the time it takes DipShit to get caught and tossed into a room, she's flown to the east coast. With 40 minutes before the wave hits, she gets a car, finds the secret facility (going against evacuation traffic!!), finds and frees DipShit, meets Miles and the lizard, and escape to a church. I can accept that.

Overall I've enjoyed this series, but last night sucked.
Old 02-07-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot to post the funniest line of the night:

Daddy Doctor to Caitlin

"Get on your scooter, and ride!"

Old 02-07-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I don't get the 'Marianas Trench' comment. That's in the Pacific Ocean, out by Guam I believe. Weren't they in Wilmington, NC? So did the Iderdex people build a railroad through the center of the earth?

I'm guessing the house had to be at least 10 miles from that ferry dock considering how far (and fast) they were driving before they got to the church.

So did Miles get Aquaman superpowers along with his mosquito zapper skills?

Also, what was the point of getting to the ferry anyway if you didnt have a car on the other side to get further away from the coast? Taking a boat to the mainland isn't gonna help much on the flat east coast if the sea water level rises a couple hundred feet.
Yeah, I noticed that Mariana Trench comment too. Maybe Laura was speaking metaphorically (like referring to scaling a giant mountain as going up Mt. Everest)? But its likely the shows writers had no idea where the Mariana Trench is. If there was ever a scientific consultant for this series, they clearly got fired a long time ago (along with the person who should've been watching for continuity errors). What do you think? Is it possible to break into a high-tech biometric security door using a jpg of an eye taken with a cell phone?

Yes, I assumed Miles has Aquaman powers now.

I hope this series comes back. There are just too many things left hanging. Unfortunately, Surface has been finishing in 4th place in recent ratings (even behind repeats), steadily dropping as the season progressed. Still, NBC has to show something, right? I hope they just don't replace it with another reality show or investigative crime series. Don't people get enough of those?!? For all its flaws, Surface was something different on tv, and had a fun tone that was a refreshing change of pace from other serious sci-fi shows.
Old 02-07-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was the PA announcment that there were buses at the dock waiting to take ferry riders inland.
Old 02-07-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
What do you think? Is it possible to break into a high-tech biometric security door using a jpg of an eye taken with a cell phone?
Yeah, that was one of those moments you just have to roll with and accept.
Old 02-07-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About the tsunami causing the 'end of the world', how exactly would it be the end? Even if they happened in every ocean, the water would only flood a few miles inland. Sure sucks for those areas but there is a million times more land that wouldn't be touched by the water.
Old 02-07-06, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
About the tsunami causing the 'end of the world', how exactly would it be the end? Even if they happened in every ocean, the water would only flood a few miles inland. Sure sucks for those areas but there is a million times more land that wouldn't be touched by the water.
I was thinking the exact same thing at first, but remember, she said something like "it's a whole new world". From what we've seen, the creatures are more or less indestructable, are breeding like crazy, and appear to have caused tsunamis in order to hunt things on land. Even if the initial tsunami only affected a relatively small area, it's a pretty bad sign of things to come if they keep progressing the way they have been.
Old 02-07-06, 12:38 PM

I liked it but wasn't quite satisfied with the ending. I needed more creature action after building it up so much for so long.

Hopefully we'll get to see them survive in this new world.

For those that wondered about Miles swimming remember from past episodes....he's not exactly human anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.