Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need a power filter (probably)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past 2 months -

*My neighbor tried to burn down my apartment
*I had a cleaning crew come in and scrub down everything
*I acquired 2 new PCs (for a total of 4)
*I got a Tivo

And now, as a result of some of those events, when I power up my Onkyo HT setup, I get a hum through the speakers at level 60 (standard DVD listening volume).

I can minimize the hum by killing the surge protectors on all of my computers, but it still won't go away or reduce to the level that I think I am accustomed to (this is the first time i've turned it on since pre-Thanksgiving, my memory may be fuzzy). I tried playing with the cables to no avail - but strangely, depending on where I stand, I can effect the interference.

Based on my limited expertise, I'm guessing I need to install some sort of line conditioning hardware.

This Monster Power unit (MP-HTS3500MKII) 'seems' like an awfully good deal for less than $120, but with the way people react to that name it's impossible to get a real feel for it.

Then there are various surge-protector-esque tripplite and pureav offerings which may be fantastic, but don't have the aesthetics to imply that they are worth the $60-$80 price tag.

So please, guide me ... I don't need much, my equipment is quite plain ... I just want to be able to ditch that annoying hum.
Old 02-04-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think a power filter is going to help. The problem is being caused by some type of ground loop or overload on the circuits. With 4 pc plus monitors going all connected to surge protectors, that is putting out alot of rf interference.

Try starting with just the Onkyo running and see if you can isolate the offending device(s).
Old 02-04-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woohooo ... problem solved!

The cleaning women thought they would be smart and wedged the speaker wires for my surrounds underneath my heat register. Normally they run under the middle of the couch, 2' from the wall. Anyway, since I have electric heat, you can image what sort of a signal those wires were picking up from the heaters ... It's a damn good thing nothing melted.