Reload this Page >

After double-dipping, should I keep the original? Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-03-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the completist thread, I thought I would start this thread to see if after double-dipping, some of the original dvd's are worth keeping.

This is too my detriment because I tend to be a pack rat and I just want myself to get rid of the old versions of movies after double dipping.

1. I know this is pretty subjective, but I wanted to see what original dvd's you guys are keeping after double-dipping to a new or SE version of the same movie and why.

2. If you a wondering whether to get rid of the original version of a dvd and you don't know if there is a reason to keep it and want to ask, list those titles also.

This can be for whatever reason, in your eyes, the dvd is worth keeping, such as commentary, trailers, limited edition packaging, extra features not on the new version, etc. An example that comes to mind in the new Ferris Bueller that doesn't contain the Hughes' commentary or the trailer, which are both on the original.

So, for me, recently double-dipped on

Office Space
Apollo 13

wanted to know if there is any reason to keep the originals.
Old 02-03-06, 12:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
search is friend...

should i upgrade thread

closing...
Old 02-03-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw that thread and like it, but thought this was different because it's not whether to upgrade or not, it's I already upgraded should I keep the original for some reason that is important to me.
Old 02-03-06, 12:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
I saw that thread and like it, but thought this was different because it's not whether to upgrade or not, it's I already upgraded should I keep the original for some reason that is important to me.
even still. it's not very and should remain in that.
Old 02-03-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to hold on to everything....mainly as backups, but with the new HD discs so close....there is much weeding out to be done throughout the library. It all depends on the title. I would never dump my first edition of many titles due to certian features, different commentery tracks and so on. Sometimes, even the older transfers are better, especially when they decide to screw it up on the new one.
Old 02-03-06, 02:34 PM

When I upgrade, the only time I keep the original disc is if it offers something substantial that the new disc does not. Example - I kept the original Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD because the new disc doesn't have the commentary track. Terminator 2: Judgment Day is another example. Most of the extras on the Ultimate Edition weren't carried over to the Extreme DVD. You mentioned Office Space. I sold my old Office Space disc when I got the Special Edition. There's no reason to keep the old disc when it only offers a non-anamorphic transfer and a trailer. The SE has a 16x9 transfer, the trailer, a 30 minute featurette, and some deleted scenes.
Old 02-03-06, 03:20 PM

I've wondered about four I recently bought superbits of.

The Patriot
Spider Man
Spider Man 2
The Dark Crystal

I'm going to keep the Spider mans I have as they will only fetch $5.00 each if that on eBay. I'm still up in the air about the others.
Old 02-03-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
When I upgrade, the only time I keep the original disc is if it offers something substantial that the new disc does not. Example - I kept the original Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD because the new disc doesn't have the commentary track. Terminator 2: Judgment Day is another example. Most of the extras on the Ultimate Edition weren't carried over to the Extreme DVD. You mentioned Office Space. I sold my old Office Space disc when I got the Special Edition. There's no reason to keep the old disc when it only offers a non-anamorphic transfer and a trailer. The SE has a 16x9 transfer, the trailer, a 30 minute featurette, and some deleted scenes.
Exactly what he said.
Old 02-03-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I was going to sell off my Ferris Bueller disc when I got the SE, but since the new one doesn't have the commentary, I decided to keep it. To save on space, I combine the discs to make a two-disc set...
Old 02-03-06, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I was going to sell off my Ferris Bueller disc when I got the SE, but since the new one doesn't have the commentary, I decided to keep it. To save on space, I combine the discs to make a two-disc set...
I did that with Time Bandits--kept the Criterion and the second disc of the Anchor Bay set, then sold off the first disc.
Old 02-03-06, 04:09 PM

I hold on to everything. Unless the first version i got was a bare bones full screen only version *cough cough Karate kid.... cough*
But I double dipped on saw and sin city and plan on keeping both copies. As well as the Evil dead trilogy too.
Old 02-03-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Terminator 2: Judgment Day is another example. Most of the extras on the Ultimate Edition weren't carried over to the Extreme DVD.
Never got the extreme edition, but yeah I love how the Ultimate Edition has both the theatrical and extended versions. Love how the t1000 starts becoming part of the things he touches in the extended version.

You mentioned Office Space. I sold my old Office Space disc when I got the Special Edition. There's no reason to keep the old disc when it only offers a non-anamorphic transfer and a trailer. The SE has a 16x9 transfer, the trailer, a 30 minute featurette, and some deleted scenes.
Gracias. I'll have to unload the original then. Any word on Apollo 13, I think all of the extras are duplicated on the SE, but I could be wrong?
Old 02-03-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - original has better cover artwork (based on the VHS release)
Lord of the Rings theatrical cuts - nice theatrical poster artwork and TRAILERS!!!
TRON - my first DVD purchase, it has fond memories for me
Exorcist: 25th Anniversary - for the "Fear of God" documentary
Old 02-03-06, 09:02 PM

I only keep the older disc if there are special features and/or a cut of the film that the new version does not offer.
Old 02-03-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As others have said, keep the original if it has something that the new ones don't. I believe the web documentaries made for LordoftheRings.net are exclusive to the 2-disc editions, so I have the 2 and 4 disc editions of each movie. I also have multiple editions of Night of the Living Dead, Dodgeball, Hellboy, Sin City, and probably a few others.
Old 02-03-06, 09:21 PM

Donnie Darko
I prefer the theatrical cut, but the extras on the director's cut are better.

Gladiator
The 3 disc is great, but doesn't have the fantastic DTS track that the 2 disc does.

Serenity
The 1 disc is fine, I guess, but the 5 disc Big Damn Set is...oh wait. I must have dreamt that.
Old 02-03-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually keep all versions, I'll use the originals as "loaners" for friends and whatnot.
Old 02-04-06, 01:27 AM

I Kept:

Sling Blade - Original has the theatrical cut of the movie whereas the new one doesn't
Jaws 25th - for the trailer
Silence of the Lambs criterion - for the complete unedited deleted scenes
Spider-Man 1 & 2 - kept 2 disc releases for the extras, superbit for the movie

there's a few more I kept, but I can't remember them offhand.
Old 02-04-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
The only original I've kept is the Silence of the Lambs Criterion. Otherwise I donate the first version to my mom or a local library.
Old 02-04-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Soon as I upgrade, I sell off the old one.