Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Computer Games magazine article "Wash Rinse Repeat"

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Computer Games magazine article "Wash Rinse Repeat"

Anyone read this? It was basically about the failure of 2005 in video games, etc. They stated figures that show that most computer games are played by the 30 something age group, but most games are still marketed to 15-25 yos who actually tend to pirate more stuff than buy. Anyway, I wrote this to the mag....
As a 30-something gamer, you found the problem. Games are still marketed to people who are more likely to pirate the games, and don't play as much as the older computer gamer. But deeper, you don't have to look much further than the Top 20 Sellers to see why the industry is in neutral, there are only 2 games on that list that are not sequals or part of some franchise. As it is, I buy more game magazines than I do games. I'm in my peak earning years, and I'm waiting and wanting to give my money away for a good game, but all I see is the same old stuff. The industry needs to innovate. When was the last original game to come out that made you feel the way X-Com did? For me, it was X-Com. Same with Syndicate Wars, and a host of others. New games, great gameplay....simple formula. Now GIMME GIMME GIMME! Or keep wondering what's wrong with gamers...your choice.
I got this reply from the editor-in-chief

I think we tend to forget that when X-COM or Syndicate came out, there were hundreds of crappy, non-innovative games. We only remember the good ones.

I totally agree with the 30-something dilemma, though. I think it's part of a broken feedback loop; that is, the companies see that the 15-25 year olds are the ones that post in forums, and generate all of this buzz. So to get that buzz and feedback, they make their games for that audience. But I'm pretty convinced that 15-25 year olds only buy games they have to; they pirate the rest.
Anyway, thought you might find it interesting. And maybe some day I'll get a game that hooks me the way X-Com or Syndicate Wars did.
Old 02-02-06, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in my peak earning years, and I'm waiting and wanting to give my money away for a good game, but all I see is the same old stuff. The industry needs to innovate
I am guessing that the writer of the article does not own a Nintendo DS.
Old 02-02-06, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the last 15 years or so my favorite genre has been the strategy games, Settlers (Serf City), Age of Empires, Sim City and other empire building games. I wish one day these games would come to a console, in addition to the computer, so I could play in the comfort of my vibrating chair in the living room in front of my 60" television.

Yes, I know that these games are mouse reliant, but I'm sure they could make something that would sit on the arm of my chair, which would work just as good as a computer mouse.

But as you say Dave, 80% of new games are sequels or copies of other games and most are marketed to the college age and below crowd. But dammit, us old folks are the ones with the money!

And I too, fondly remember X-Com back in the mid 90's, but it got too hard at one point and then I lost interest. I like games that allow you to go at your own pace.

Chris
Old 02-02-06, 03:26 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I am guessing that the writer of the article does not own a Nintendo DS.
It's an article about PC gaming.
Old 02-02-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As if 15-25 year olds are some megalithic block. I'm 24 and everyone I know who plays games buys them. A lot of them download music, but they rent or buy DVDs and games. Although they (like me) play console games, not computer games.

I would love to play computer games, but my laptop at home just can't handle the graphics. I wanted to pick up "Freedom Force: The Third Reich" because I really liked the first one -- which I played when I had a tower with a 3D card in it. I also thought "The Movies" looked like a lot of fun.

But even if I had a great gaming computer, I still wouldn't buy very many games. I hate FPS. RTS is played out, although I would give Age of Empires III a chance. Online RPGs are too aimless, and filled with way too many foul-mouthed 13-year-olds. And frankly, I just don't have the time. I like strategy games like Civilization and Master of Orion, but Master of Orion 3 severely sucked. I like tactical games like X-Com, but haven't seen much like that lately. Adventure games, especially the type that LucasArts and Sierra used to put out, are my favorite, but those are long gone. Syberia sucked.

So generally if I feel like playing a computer game I load up Master of Orion or X-Com 2 or something.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 02-02-06 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-02-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another part of the problem is when games come out that are new and interesting/innovative they get little/no marketing backup and end up in the bargain bin very quickly, which tells the publishers that people want GTA3.5 and Halo 3 instead of Psychonauts or Beyond Good & Evil.

To hit the innovative side, we need to look at the smaller developers out there. Darwinia is a game that I think was born out of the modding world, and is gathering momentum.
Old 02-04-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Certainly another problem specific to computer games is the fact of the pirating. I was reading another gaming magazine and I forget what company it was, but it was a big boy like ID who was concentrating on the Xbox360 because of pirating. They figured that if they could sell a million games on it they would be far better off. And you see this trend a lot. A lot of great games are now made for consoles and are ports to the PC. It use to be almost entirely the other way around. I don't believe the PC gaming market is dead, or will ever die, but it has taken a huge hit that I doubt can readily be bounced back from.
Old 02-05-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm 32 and I only bought 1 game in 2005, so the article might be on to something.
But then I'm a fan of single player RPGs, which seem to be going the way of the dodo.
Old 02-05-06, 11:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

To me the pinnacle of PC gaming was around the 486 to Pentium 1 days. Those were golden times.