Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How do I play online?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I play online?

Hi there.

I need help please in setting my 360 up to live. I never did it on the xbox so I'm new to the whole online gaming world. I have a premium 360 which I wish to connect through my PC using ICS (internet connection sharing). All I know is I got an ethernet cable with my 360 and this needs to be plugged in the back of my PC. I think my ISP is Wanadoo, but my broadband icon says "speedtouch connection"?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your best bet would be to buy a cheap router. Then just plug your internet connection, your PC and your 360 to the router and you should be OK.

This is a simplified version of it mind you
Old 01-31-06, 07:36 PM

Thanks mate How much can I expect to pay for a cheap router? I don't want anything fancy just enough to get my playing my 360 online
Old 01-31-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
cronenberg:

You need Xbox Live Gold to play online. You currently have Xbox Live Silver (free) which lets you download content, but not play online against others.

Xbox Live costs about $50. You can get a "starter" kit for $70, which gives you a $20 rebate on any Xbox 360 game, a $15 Billiards game, a 2nd Live headset, and 12-months of Xbox Live gaming.

If you're the type of person who likes to play online, is likely to play once a week, and is likely to pick up more than 4 games a year, this is definitely for you.

The router is the least of your troubles. If you don't need to go wireless (your Xbox and PC are in the same room), then you can buy a router for $20. Sometimes they are even free after mail-in-rebate.
Old 01-31-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you can spend anywhere from $20 - $200 if you wanted too. Ebay is your cheapest option too... look for a 4 port router... be careful however...some might not work with XBL very well.
Old 01-31-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
you can spend anywhere from $20 - $200 if you wanted too. Ebay is your cheapest option too... look for a 4 port router... be careful however...some might not work with XBL very well.
The cost of new basic routers is minimal. With eBay you're just setting yourself up for a hassle if it doesn't work / is broken / etc.

This Linksys is on sale for $40 AR at Best Buy. 802.11g, pretty much as top of the line as you're going to get in that price range and it works great with XBL. The eBay prices for that router range from $38 to $57 with shipping included. So if you don't mind rebates, you're better off buying a new one in-store.
Old 02-01-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
cronenberg:

You should be able to use ICS to connect to xbox live. That's how I used to have mine setup. Here's a more detailed description of what you'd need to do.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp
Old 02-01-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by goLUCKY
cronenberg:

You should be able to use ICS to connect to xbox live. That's how I used to have mine setup. Here's a more detailed description of what you'd need to do.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp
ICS
Old 02-01-06, 01:30 PM

thanks for the replys. I didn't know you needed two computers to use ICS... I thought there was a way to just send my computers broadband to my 360, I thought the "sharing" phrase was used to describe the PC sharing the connection with the 360.