Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anyone see "Wife Swap" last night (1/30)?..

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally don't watch this show. But, I was with my wife and kids who love it. Last nights was mothers were ridiculous. One was a spend-thrift to the extreme. The other was so bizarre it felt almost like incest. The woman hasn't slept in the same room as her husband in over 12 years. She spends money on whatever the kid wants. Her husband works fulltime. Yet, has to do all of the chores at home. He eats alone in the kitchen. She eats with the son in her room. The mother keeps the kid home from school every so often to have pajama day...for which she said she has to be careful because the school was getting upset. She runs a kids entertainment company that goes to schools and performs kid shows. She makes the husband and son come along. Her business looses so much money that even with the husbands decent salary they might go into bankrupcy.
I could go on. But, it was kinda of freaky. I also have to wonder what this guy's business associates must think after seeing this...He is portrayed as so p-whipped.

(edited to correct my moronic spelling errors. )

Last edited by TOLEN; 01-31-06 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TOLEN
Yet, has to do all of the choirs at home.
Yeah, I can understand how that would be tiring. I mean, one choir alone would take quite a bit of energy, but two or three?

Old 01-31-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-31-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It never fails to amaze me how much I laugh when I read here....classic.
Old 01-31-06, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it. I wasn't so freaked out by the spend-thrift (although making her kids pay for their way for family vacations was bizarre) as I was by the woman who slept with her son. Truly freaky. To my surprise though, the kid seemed pretty well adjusted considering...I thought for sure he'd break down while Mom was away, but he held up pretty well and even seemed to enjoy the thrifty mom.

I like this series a lot better than Trading Spouses. The couples really seem to be doing it to better their relationships with their families. I mean, as vile as that woman was last night (spending her family into bankruptcy and sleeping with her son), she and her counterpart both obviously learned enough from the exp. to make better their homes.
Old 01-31-06, 04:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Saw it also.

I'm always pretty dumbfounded to see any of the couples where one spouse sits in bed all day and gets catered on and the other spouse waits on them hand and foot.

Is that kind of relationship really so prevalent in America today??? Who would put up with that crap?

And in this situation where the guy was clearly a great guy, working his ass off to support them, letting his wife screw their kid up psychologically, I just don't get it.

That guy was good looking too, he coulda walked out on her at any time and had no problem finding someone. Of course he would have had to ask his wife for his balls back I guess. Don't any of these guys listen to Tom Leykis????
Old 01-31-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=TOLEN][QUOTE=Breakfast with Girls]Yeah, I can understand how that would be tiring. I mean, one choir alone would take quite a bit of energy, but two or three?

It wasn't the fact that he did a few choirs....he did ALL of the choirs. She did squat. And what is with the sarcasm?
Tolen, no offense, but you really need to proof-read your posts. Sure all of us realize that you mean chores. But if you keep reading your post, you also say in the end that he was "betrayed" as so p-whipped. Obviously you meant to say portrayed. Taking an extra minut to read over a post will keep others like myself from having a good laugh. I do enjoy it though.

And one other thing that I believe to be incorrect, but I believe the wife said they never shared their bed during their marriage. This would mean that they have not slept together in the same room(yet alone a bed) for 19 years. It must have been a conjugal visit or something like that when they had their kid.
Old 01-31-06, 05:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
schloob, what's a minut?
Old 01-31-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Schloob1][QUOTE=TOLEN]
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yeah, I can understand how that would be tiring. I mean, one choir alone would take quite a bit of energy, but two or three?

Tolen, no offense, but you really need to proof-read your posts. Sure all of us realize that you mean chores. But if you keep reading your post, you also say in the end that he was "betrayed" as so p-whipped. Obviously you meant to say portrayed. Taking an extra minut to read over a post will keep others like myself from having a good laugh. I do enjoy it though.

And one other thing that I believe to be incorrect, but I believe the wife said they never shared their bed during their marriage. This would mean that they have not slept together in the same room(yet alone a bed) for 19 years. It must have been a conjugal visit or something like that when they had their kid.
Wow! What the hell is wrong with me??....It was the end of the day at work and I was fried. I glad I can bring some humor into the forum...intentional or not.

With regards to her not sleeping at all. I missed some of what they said about it. So I assumed they hadn't slept together since their son was born.

Last edited by TOLEN; 01-31-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I've only caught a few episodes, and I find it hard to watch because it generally shows that humans tend toward suckitude. However, it does make me very glad I married my wife.
Old 01-31-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Is it any surprise that anyone who volunteers for a show to swap their wives would end up having pretty horrid marriages?
Old 01-31-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
schloob, what's a minut?

It's one second short of a minute
Old 01-31-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually the kid was taking singing lessons, so I think he was doing the choirs.
Old 02-01-06, 09:33 AM

i don't understand those episodes where they swap and leave their young children with strangers. i would never leave my 2 year old son for 2 weeks with a stranger.
Old 02-01-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

its not like they leave for 2 weeks. they just go film the scripted scenes for the show and come back. they probably are just across town anyway
Old 02-01-06, 03:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
uhh..no. In most episodes they are at least 500 to 1000 miles from the other family.

I don't think its as big a deal as you would think. I mean the husband is there for most of the time to monitor the impact and when the swapped wife is there a camera crew is no doubt trailing them the whole time as well.

Most of the famlies have kids older than 4 or 5 years old. I could see your point if there were kids younger than that.
Old 02-01-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
schloob, what's a minut?
A minuet is a dance originating in France. Presumably, the dancers were to go with the choirs.

Old 08-25-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody still watching this show? I did a search and this is the most recent I could find.

I don't know if these are all reruns for the summer or not, but the last two were great. That lady that just sat in bed and had her husband and kids bring her food and wine, wouldn't the husband get tired of that?

Also, what was up with that family in the tree house? I'm all for a happy medium, but what was with the only 1 hour per day on schooling, does the mother expect the kids to be ready for the realy world? or does she just want them to work at the paper mill like dad?

Also, the harvard family mom: "we want our kids to be good corporate citizens."
Old 08-26-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I watch it. But when I got into Hell's Kitchen this season I would switch back and forth and if it was repeat I would watch HK. There are some screwed up families on this show.

I would love to know if anything ever happened between the swaps. You know what I mean?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-26-06 at 06:05 AM.