Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

eBay in trouble over counterfeits

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-30-06, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although this is not completely DVD related, I hope is the start of a trend, so ebay gets rid of bootlegs and counterfeits.

By Tristan Kelly Jan 30, 2006, 17:28 GMT

Jeweller Tiffany & Co is suing eBay for allowing individuals to auction counterfeit items on its site, the New York Times has reported.

The company secretly purchased 200 pieces of jewellery which claimed to be from Tiffany on the auction site in 2004. Three quarters of the pieces received by the jeweller turned out to be fakes.

It has accused eBay of not only facilitating the counterfeit sales but also making a profit from them through "hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees" charged on counterfeit goods.

If the suit is successful, eBay's business model could come under threat. It is impossible for eBay to vet items sold on its site, as sellers can come from across the world and do not submit their products to the company before they sell them.

Intellectual property lawyer Thomas Hemnes told the newspaper that a loss for eBay could have ramifications for other similar firms: "If eBay lost, or even if they settled and word got out that they settled, it would mean they would have to begin policing things sold over eBay, which would directly affect their business model."

"The cost implied is tremendous," he added.
http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/n...r_counterfeits

I'm really tired of bootlegs and fakes for many items, including DVDs. I hope that some other companies like Warner or Universal follow the trend so ebay clean the place a little bit.
Old 01-30-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Good news. I collect live recordings (and tape them as well) and it pisses me off to no end to see my recordings on eBay.

They should use some type of database, and allow people to only sell DVD's and CD's from the Database. Then if you end up with a "copy", you can file a claim against the seller. (or something like that)
Old 01-30-06, 12:26 PM
Banned

It's about time a company with some cash can finally teach eBay to clean up their act.
Old 01-30-06, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's real sicking to buy a DVD that is advertised as legit and receive a piece of shit bootleg. This just happened to me last week. Of course ebay does nothing. I hope someone sues the pants of them.
Old 01-30-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got stuck with a few fake Versace ties from ebay a couple years back
Old 01-30-06, 04:14 PM

That is very good news. Will have to follow this closely as any counterfeit goods or pirated products sold as openly as they do on e-bay is detrimental to all of us who are genuine purchasers of products and I know we don't always see eye to eye with some studios in particular but does hurt them financially where DVD is specifically concerned.
Old 01-30-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they lose, and lose big time. I have stopped using Ebay for a lot of things a long time ago (with rare occasions), especially for selling. They rake in the money hand over fist on the fees when they do not need to be charging as much as they do. I hope this results in lower fees and also results in a BIG clean up on their site of fake and bootleg items, and also results in better protection for buyers who get screwed over, even on smaller items.
Old 01-30-06, 04:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is one of my big gripes with eBay, their whole "Buyer beware" philosophy and lack of any real integrity or responsibility about the items up for sale on their site.

The downside of this: expect seller fees to rise.
Old 01-30-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Good. Bootleg DVDs, video games, watches, etc are ridiculously out of control.
Old 01-30-06, 06:07 PM

They should use some type of database, and allow people to only sell DVD's and CD's from the Database.
What about people that sell their own albums that aren't otherwise available? What about people that sell old vinyl that's so out there that it doesn't show up in their database?
Old 01-30-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Funk
What about people that sell their own albums that aren't otherwise available? What about people that sell old vinyl that's so out there that it doesn't show up in their database?
Then it would entered into the database.
Old 01-30-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they should shut Ebay down. Looks like a fence to me and then they cry about PTO. Glad, I was never an Ebay member.
Old 01-31-06, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, this is why I never used eBay. Too many risks.
Old 01-31-06, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sanitarium
It's real sicking to buy a DVD that is advertised as legit and receive a piece of shit bootleg. This just happened to me last week. Of course ebay does nothing.
It sucks, but it's like complaining that The NY Times didn't do anything about the digital camera you bought from a classified ad. They're paid to list an item, they don't guarantee or inspect anything. If they did, they'd have to sell their own inventory, so they'd be Amazon.

If you have a problem, you can file a complaint with PayPal or your credit card company. They can give you the seller's info, but they don't have any obligation to do any more. You're not paying them for anything, so you're really not their customer.

You're never stuck with fake merchandise. You can file a complaint with PayPal or your credit card, or take the seller to small claims court. It's obviously not cost effective to do so when the seller is in another state, but it is something you can do.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 01-31-06 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Good. Bootleg DVDs, video games, watches, etc are ridiculously out of control.
Old 01-31-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first started out on Ebay, I was looking for a James Bond DVD. This was before the recent OOP boxsets came out. All the DVD's were expensive. But one was really cheap, and I couldn't believe the deal I got. Until I got it. I couldn't believe how bad this copy was. So from then on, I started looking for things. I have bought (and sold) many DVD's on Ebay with no problem whatsoever since that learning experiance. You just have to know what to look for.
If it is from China, Hong Kong, etc... Unless you are getting that region's DVD, you are, 99% of the time, getting a fake.
The buyers feedback. I don't buy from anyone with a 95% or less. I don't care how many people you have gotten good reviews from, you still have 5% of your customers pissed. Also, look at the number of reviews, and look at the reviewers number of reviews. People would have their friends and family give them fake reviews, fake them themselves, etc... Just look for some one who has a decent # of reviews from other reviewers with a fairly large # of good reviews also.
Read every bit of the Auction. I have friends who get pissed it they get a PV DVD, but didn't read the auction that said it was a PV DVD.
correct me if I am wrong, but Ebay has netted some good deals for many of us. If you are careful, then there is a good chance you will get a good item.
If Ebay gets in trouble, that would mean that I won't be able to sell my DVD's for an amount that would turn a profit, if at all. They should go after the sellers, sue them, and make an example out of them. You can also report bootleg stuff. I don't know how much it helps, but I do it constantly.
Old 01-31-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Real Sports had a story this week about counterfeit signed sports items on eBay.
Old 01-31-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gijon213
When I first started out on Ebay, I was looking for a James Bond DVD. This was before the recent OOP boxsets came out. All the DVD's were expensive. But one was really cheap, and I couldn't believe the deal I got. Until I got it. I couldn't believe how bad this copy was. So from then on, I started looking for things. I have bought (and sold) many DVD's on Ebay with no problem whatsoever since that learning experiance. You just have to know what to look for.
If it is from China, Hong Kong, etc... Unless you are getting that region's DVD, you are, 99% of the time, getting a fake.
The buyers feedback. I don't buy from anyone with a 95% or less. I don't care how many people you have gotten good reviews from, you still have 5% of your customers pissed. Also, look at the number of reviews, and look at the reviewers number of reviews. People would have their friends and family give them fake reviews, fake them themselves, etc... Just look for some one who has a decent # of reviews from other reviewers with a fairly large # of good reviews also.
Read every bit of the Auction. I have friends who get pissed it they get a PV DVD, but didn't read the auction that said it was a PV DVD.
correct me if I am wrong, but Ebay has netted some good deals for many of us. If you are careful, then there is a good chance you will get a good item.
If Ebay gets in trouble, that would mean that I won't be able to sell my DVD's for an amount that would turn a profit, if at all. They should go after the sellers, sue them, and make an example out of them. You can also report bootleg stuff. I don't know how much it helps, but I do it constantly.

This is a much more realistic and economically feasible solution. "Creating a database with all the releases" is impossible. How many mistakes and missing items have I seen on Gracenote/CDDB? And this is a company who does this as their business. It is simply not feasible and horribly impractical.
Old 01-31-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Ebay's the last place you should go to for small-ticket items like CDs and DVDs.

But if you do a little research, you can hit some major pay-dirt on bigger-ticket items.

I'm sort of a musician, and I got 3 of my favorite pieces of gear from ebay, at great prices:

I have 5 guitars, but my favorite is a 1969 Gibson 370 hollow-body in perfect condition that I got from ebay 5 years ago for only $800 - if you were to find that in a music store, it'd be $5,000 easy.

Another great find was a 1978 Marshall combo tube amp - they don't make these anymore, because they don't break, and they're very easy to service (newer amps are DEAD if the smallest thing goes wrong). I forgot how much I paid, but it was less than half of what it would have been in a vintage store.
(this amp was actually a replecement of another I bought on ebay that was "lost" in shipping - but I got fully re-embursed)

Then there's my beloved Fender Rhodes electric piano...
Old 01-31-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by ShallowHal
It sucks, but it's like complaining that The NY Times didn't do anything about the digital camera you bought from a classified ad. They're paid to list an item, they don't guarantee or inspect anything. If they did, they'd have to sell their own inventory, so they'd be Amazon.
Unfortunately, that's what it kind of boils down to. Even if ebay wanted to verify the authenticity of every item that people sell there, how could they possibly have the manpower to do that. We are talking about millions of auctions every day. They have their VERO program set up, but that means rights holders have to do the work of checking for copies of their products. That's not really fair, but it's something. I'm sure that others will be watching this lawsuit very closely. If ebay does lose, I can't see how they could start policing everything. They would have to change their whole business model tremendously or shut down. I'm not trying to defend ebay, because believe me, I have issues with them as well, but it's really a case of buyer beware. Educate yourself about the products you are interested in, and read EVERYTHING in an auction listing. If you do that and still get hosed, try to take it up with your cc company or Paypal (yeah, I know that they aren't always very helpful) If you are worried about getting ripped off and aren't prepared to be a really careful shopper, shop elsewhere.