DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Several Francois Truffaut DVDs out of print (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/453991-several-francois-truffaut-dvds-out-print.html)

slowcloud 01-29-06 07:18 AM

Several Francois Truffaut DVDs out of print

Recently, several of Francois Truffaut's DVDs went out of print. They all appeared on FOX Lorber's World Class Cinema series of DVDs. Titles are as follows:

Confidentially Yours
Stolen Kisses
The Last Metro
The Woman Next Door
Two Short Films By Francois Truffaut: Les Mistons/Antoine & Colette
Love on the Run
Jules and Jim

The question is, are some of these titles worth picking up? They’re a few of his more obscure films, save for Jules and Jim, which got a Criterion release not too long ago. Maybe they will come out on another DVD label soon? Criterion possibly? Some are still cheap on the secondary market, but I’m not sure how long that will last. Any insights?

marty888 01-29-06 07:45 AM

I don't have any information, but I would be very surprised if these titles do not reappear on a different label - and probably with better transfers.

Shagrath 01-29-06 07:48 AM

Stolen Kisses, Love on the Run, and Jules and Jim are already available as Criterions. Hopefully they'll pick up some of the other ones in the future.

Ambassador 01-29-06 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Stolen Kisses, Love on the Run, and Jules and Jim are already available as Criterions. Hopefully they'll pick up some of the other ones in the future.

Stolen Kisses, Love on the Run, and the two short films (Les Mistons and Antoine and Colette) are all available in Criterion's Antoine Doinel Collection.

Jules and Jim, of course, has been released separately.

I can only say that each Fox Lorber title that goes out of print is actually a blessing!

Doc Moonlight 01-29-06 08:44 PM

DAY FOR NIGHT from Warners is also out of print (reportedly due to a rights probelm).

slowcloud 01-30-06 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
DAY FOR NIGHT from Warners is also out of print (reportedly due to a rights probelm).

But wait, I see it's due out on 1/31 from some studio called Synkronized USA... at least according the wherehouse.com? Can't see m to find it anywhere else.

mcarver 02-01-06 12:07 PM

Synkronized USA looks to be an importer of Region 0 DVD's

Originally Posted by slowcloud
But wait, I see it's due out on 1/31 from some studio called Synkronized USA... at least according the wherehouse.com? Can't see m to find it anywhere else.

slowcloud 02-01-06 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mcarver
Synkronized USA looks to be an importer of Region 0 DVD's

Let me correct myself :blush: The DVD I saw was actually titled 'Day and Night,' which came up on a search for 'Day For Night.' The latter movie is still shamefully MIA.

redtornado 02-01-06 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassador
I can only say that each Fox Lorber title that goes out of print is actually a blessing!

Amen to that!

Doc Moonlight 02-01-06 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Let me correct myself :blush: The DVD I saw was actually titled 'Day and Night,' which came up on a search for 'Day For Night.' The latter movie is still shamefully MIA.

Hint: try your local Borders. There's even a 20% off coupon in the DVD Bargains thread.

slowcloud 02-02-06 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Hint: try your local Borders. There's even a 20% off coupon in the DVD Bargains thread.

Great suggestion. Just checked inventory on-line but no Miami Borders has it. :( Plus, they just closed the Borders 5 minutes from my home.