Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

just pulled the trigger on a new tv

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-28-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a 50 inch samsung dlp to replace my mits rptv (which was only 18 months old, but I wanted something new).

I am now almost done with my system overhaul. I just need to make a minor upgrade to my front end (I'm having Dan Wright mod my p-3a), but other than that I am done for a while. woo hoo. just thought i'd share. I'll post pics next week when the tv is delivered.
Old 01-28-06, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Kool! I would have bought a plasma though.
Old 01-29-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tacos
Kool! I would have bought a plasma though.
I went with the DLP because it was relatively inexpensive and should take me through the next year or two. There is so much exciting display tech on the horizon so I didn't want to buy a set for a long haul. The DLP was $2000 delivered. Now I just need to sell my Mits RPTV
Old 01-30-06, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I probably would've waited a bit. I'm sure your MITS was just fine...since mine is about 4 years old and running great. I know you have the space apparently too. Good luck though with it....I guess $2000 is a lot less for some people to spend for a 2 year investment on a TV.
Old 01-30-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I probably would've waited a bit. I'm sure your MITS was just fine...since mine is about 4 years old and running great. I know you have the space apparently too. Good luck though with it....I guess $2000 is a lot less for some people to spend for a 2 year investment on a TV.
I had the get the Mits out of there. I rearranged my room and the Mits was sitting directly in between my L/R speakers (literally only inches on each side). It was killing the sound and imaging.
Old 01-30-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
You can throw away the Mits in my direction.

What other TV's did you look at besides the Sammy? And how did you come to your conclusion? I have a friend who is about to go on a similar shopping adventure and I just thought I could get someone else's perspective.
Old 01-30-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
You can throw away the Mits in my direction.

What other TV's did you look at besides the Sammy? And how did you come to your conclusion? I have a friend who is about to go on a similar shopping adventure and I just thought I could get someone else's perspective.
I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to sell the Mits. I will hopefully come up with something soon.

To be honest, I didn't spend that much time looking around. I am embarassed to admit this, but I never truly realized how much having the Mits in between my L/R speakers was detroying my sound. I auditioned a processor at my local hi-fi shop and the dealer hooked it up to the same speakers I have (paradigm reference studio 100s). In a properly set up room, the difference was night and day. I came home and moved the Mits and was shocked to hear the difference. So, it was really more about getting a tv that would fit into my new room setup.

I initially considered spending more time and money and going with something like an SXRD or one of the 1080p DLPs. But, knowing the way I like to upgrade, it made more sense to buy something relatively inexpensive now and then upgrade again in 2 years. I went with the Sammy because I like the picture and I feel like the set has a good reputation. Also, my best friend is much pickier than I am about video and he loves his, so it was an easy decision.
Old 01-30-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Which Sammy did you end up purchasing?

The SXRD's are very intriguing, but the price makes me hesitant right now.
Old 01-30-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Light control. Should look into light control. Once you have that, and your obvious willingness to work at quality, TV size is little matter. Just really big, whatever fits on your wall.
Old 01-30-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Which Sammy did you end up purchasing?

The SXRD's are very intriguing, but the price makes me hesitant right now.
I went with the 5067. It's the 720p model. The SXRDs are pretty cool. But, one thing really bugs me about them - they don't accept 1080p inputs (they scale all inputs to 1080p). I guess it's not a big deal now, but if and when we get 1080p sources it will be a pain.
Old 01-30-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Light control. Should look into light control. Once you have that, and your obvious willingness to work at quality, TV size is little matter. Just really big, whatever fits on your wall.
haha, I wish light control were an issue for me I'm never home during the day. Except the weekends, but I only watch tv at night.

I will post some pics of the new setup next week. I think you are one of the few people (no offense to anyone else intended!) on this board that will appreciate my new audio gear (Krell Showcase processor and Showcase amp, Perpetual tech P-1A and modded P-3A, and some other goodies).
Old 01-30-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I look forward to pics.
Old 01-30-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
I have the same set, and love it...
Old 01-30-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Just bought the same set recently for just under 2K delivered. The only problem I had was when I connected my cheapo ($50) Toshiba DVD player via S-video (audio connected to the receiver). The video lag was horrible! I changed the S-Video connection to component (progressive) and the video lag was about 99% eliminated (I swear I could sometimes still see some lag though - not too sure as it is not too noticeable).

Question for those who have this model (Samsung HL-R5067W), will upgrading to an upconverting DVD player and sending the video thru HDMI give me a dramatically better picture? Or will the improvement (if any) be negligible?
Old 01-30-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sinned
Question for those who have this model (Samsung HL-R5067W), will upgrading to an upconverting DVD player and sending the video thru HDMI give me a dramatically better picture? Or will the improvement (if any) be negligible?
I will let you know on Saturday when the tv is delivered - I will be using a Denon 2910 outputting a 720p signal. My buddy who has this tv reported a very noticable improvement when using an upconverting dvd player.
Old 01-30-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would assume that to be the case across the board on Samsung TVs. Only the high-end stuff like Sony's SXRD are going to have top notch scalers.

Can the 2910 and Showcase communicate digitally for high-rez audio? DVD-A and SACD, I mean. The Denon is good, but I'll bet the Krell is above it and would really showcase those formats. (sorry)
Old 01-30-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can the 2910 and Showcase communicate digitally for high-rez audio? DVD-A and SACD, I mean. The Denon is good, but I'll bet the Krell is above it and would really showcase those formats. (sorry)
I wish. Due to a lot of tom foollery over DRM and piracy fears, the only way to pass an SACD bitstream is with the EMM Labs Meitner CDSD+DAC6 (15k+ for the pair). The Krell does have an excellent analog preamp stage and DVD-A and SACD sound great.
Old 01-31-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, that's not true. DenonLink was authorized last year, not that this proprietary link would help with a Krell. But standard iLink (Firewire) was also authorized last year, not really sure how many products will use it though. I thought the 2910 had at least one of these, but I guess not, only the 3910 and up do according to the Denon site.
Old 01-31-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, that's not true. DenonLink was authorized last year, not that this proprietary link would help with a Krell. But standard iLink (Firewire) was also authorized last year, not really sure how many products will use it though. I thought the 2910 had at least one of these, but I guess not, only the 3910 and up do according to the Denon site.
You're right - I forgot about those proprietary connections. The Krell doesn't have an HDMI input, so it wouldn't help anyways.
Old 02-06-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
I will let you know on Saturday when the tv is delivered - I will be using a Denon 2910 outputting a 720p signal. My buddy who has this tv reported a very noticable improvement when using an upconverting dvd player.
Hi BobDole42, did you get your TV? Did you get a better picture with the upconverting DVD player?
Old 02-06-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sinned
Hi BobDole42, did you get your TV? Did you get a better picture with the upconverting DVD player?
The tv came on saturday. So far, I love it. Great picture and very watchable even with a considerable amount of light in the room. My Denon 2910 was already set to 720p for my LCD tv so I have only watched it in that configuration. The picture is great. I will set it to 480p tonight and let you know how big the difference is.