Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of Horror "Haeckel's Tale" 1/27/06

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 03:00 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Masters of Horror "Haeckel's Tale" 1/27/06

A man is allowed shelter in a secluded cabin under one condition.
Director: John McNaughton ("Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer", "Wild Things")

12th and final episode of Season 1, but don't worry... Season 2 is a go.

Last edited by Geofferson; 01-29-06 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
final episode? i guess this is true then?......

"It appears the Masters of Horror story by director Takashi Miike was deemed too disturbing for Showtime audiences and has been yanked from the schedual.

The episode, titled Imprint, will be going straight to DVD. I find this hard to believe since Showtime will pretty much put anything on the air. I seriously doubt there's anything in the episode disturbing enough to not put it on the air. I mean the show is called Masters of Horror, right? Series creator Mick Garris was even quoted as saying "It's definitely the most disturbing film I've ever seen." Call me crazy but I think this is just hype to sell more of the DVD's. No word on when it will be released."

from DD, i think.

Last edited by Venom; 01-28-06 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-28-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
The Miike ep was discussed extensively when it was first announced that it wouldn't air: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452868

As for this ep, my biggest problem with it is that I believe this was the one that Corman was set to direct but was then replaced with McNaughton. And throughout the film, I just kept thinking how much this movie reminded me of a Corman film. But of course, we had no Corman! Anyway, not the worst ep of the series, but certainly far from the best either.
Old 01-29-06, 06:31 PM

Actually, this is the episode that George A. Romero was being considered for.

However, due to time restraints and the fact that Romero wanted to write his own story, it didn't happen.

Makes sense though...Zombies! Let's call good ol' George.
Old 01-29-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the first episode I've been able to catch of Masters of Horror. Looks great and sounds good in hdtv with 5.1. The storyline did freak me out with sex with zombies and a zombie baby. I'm glad there's something like this back on the air. It seems like we haven't had something this fun since the Outer Limits on showtime uncensored.
Old 01-31-06, 08:55 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I finally got around to watching this episode last night and I actually liked it! Out of all 12 episodes, there were only 2-3 that I enjoyed and this was one of them. (The others being Don Coscarelli's and John Carpenter's)
Old 01-31-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know then which ep Corman was supposed to direct? I know he was replaced for an ep. I could see Hooper doing this one, too. But I still think the tone of the story, the way it was shot and the plot reminded me a lot of some of the old Price/Corman movies, especially the Poe films.
Old 02-06-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I finally got around to watching this episode last night and I actually liked it! Out of all 12 episodes, there were only 2-3 that I enjoyed and this was one of them. (The others being Don Coscarelli's and John Carpenter's)
Finally saw this last night too and agree that Carpenter's and Coscarelli's are my #1 and #2 of this season also. But I might've liked Gordon's a little bit more than this one (Haeckel's Tale) I guess I'm linking these two together because they resembled good ol' spooky tales that you would associate with for horror stories.

Never got to see the episodes from Malone and Larry Cohen.
Old 02-06-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I just found out that Corman was supposed to direct Sick Girl, which I find very strange. I just can't see him doing this one. It just doesn't seem his style at all.

Has anyone seen the lineup for season 2? I seem to remember that most of the directors are going to be coming back, but I can't recall whether we'll be getting some new directors as well.