Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Differences between Sony SXRD 50" and 60"?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a thread about the Sony SXRD 50 inch compared to the Sony LCD 50 inch, but I didn't want to hijack that thread with my question.

I've been looking around for a while, and I was absolutely blown away by this TV, and it's certainly worth the difference to me in price (they're on a good sale now too).

There's about a $1000 difference between the SXRD 50 inch and the 60 inch. The 50 inch looked MUCH better to me in the showroom, but that feed was only being split in 3 versus the 60 inch feed that was split between 6 TVs. I couldn't tell if it was the feed or actual resolution. I read some of the reviews on Amazon, and one of them said that both TVs use the same bulb, so the 50 inch would be noticeably brighter than the 60 inch. I plead ignorance on that one, I couldn't find anything else to back that up. If all things were equal I'd probably go with the 60", does anybody here know anything I might be overlooking? Thanks.
Old 01-27-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a quote from Sony about the lamp, assuming these are the TVs you are looking at:
Sony's XL-5100 replacement lamp is designed to replace the original lamp of your KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 Grand WEGA™ SXRD Rear Projection HDTVs.
So the only difference (other than physical size) is likely to be the brightness. Which is virtually impossible to judge accurately until it is in your room. It is true that the same lamp will appear less bright as the screen gets larger. Probably not a big issue.

Frankly, $1000 is a lot of coin for slightly more plastic. Unless the size difference is really beneficial in some way.
Old 01-27-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
Frankly, $1000 is a lot of coin for slightly more plastic. Unless the size difference is really beneficial in some way.
Thanks for pulling up the info from Sony, I didn't think of going that route. The only difference is that we're building a house and the 60" would probably fit better in the large living room. It is a big price difference though, $3000 vs. $4000.
Old 01-27-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are not overlooking anything. The price differnce is the 60" is a 60". This is typically what I notice with most manufactures that any tv over 60" tends to be alot more. So just decide on what size works best for you. Personally I am saving up for the 60".
Old 01-27-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, the Qualia is a 70".
Old 01-27-06, 04:27 PM
AOD

Yeah, and for about 10 and a half grand, it could be in your living room. Ok,ok, if I had the money to spend on this, I would get one also.
Old 01-27-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
You know, the Qualia is a 70".
They also have a rumored 70" SXRD that may come out this year.