Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Region question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Region question

Old 01-27-06, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Region question

I recently recieved 2 DVD's from the UK. One was Johnny Got His Gun which has a 0 inside a square on the back cover so it should work in my player (which it does). It does not say if it's PAL or NTSC. I looked on amazon.uk and it says PAL for that issue. The other is How I Won The War which has a 2 in an oval globe and says PAL under it. This does not work on my player.
My question is does the oval globe and the square logo have any meaning? I know the meanings of the numbers. Sorry if this was mentioned before but I could'nt find the answer when I did a search.
Old 01-27-06, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
If it's from UK, it's most likely PAL. Many players in the US will play PAL (the cheaper ones, usually. Kind of a cool quirk.). Since it was region 0, it played fine. Your player is region 1 so the region 2 won't play, regardless of whether your player plays PAL (which it does.). Go to http://videohelp.com and see if your player can be made region free. It's under the DVD hacks button.
Old 01-27-06, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the shape of the globe is significant - just that different studios, and particularly ones in different countries, use different designs.

The number is the important thing.

The TV standard is usually indicated in plain writing, it will just say "PAL" or "NTSC".

Most relatively modern players will cope with the different standards, because it is cheaper for the manufacturers to design and build one machine that will work anywhere rather than having different ones for different countries. It no longer makes sense to build machines that will only work in the USA, or wherever. They rely on the region coding.

Region 2 players are ALWAYS multi-standard, because R2 has Europe (mostly PAL) and Japan (NTSC) and the DVD standard says the players have to be able to work with any region-2 encoded DVD.