Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Getting non-region1 DVD's in the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting non-region1 DVD's in the US

I was just wondering what the best place to order non-region1 DVD's to have them shipped to the US is. I tried amazon.co.uk but they said they only ship to the UK. I have friends out there that could pick them up in the stores and send the, but i dont wanna put them through the hassle of doing that.

So i was just curious as to where you guys import your DVD's from. Or if there is a site that imports them and then ships them from within the US that would be perfect.

PS. I tried to search, but I dont think what i was searching for was bringing back relevant topics. Sorry if this has been answered a million times.
Old 01-25-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaK10
I was just wondering what the best place to order non-region1 DVD's to have them shipped to the US is. I tried amazon.co.uk but they said they only ship to the UK.
Not sure where you saw that, but that's incorrect. In fact, many of us order from Amazon.co.uk all the time. Check out the International forum for much more information (there's also a sticky in that forum listing lots of international e-tailers that ship to the U.S.).

Personally, my favorites are Amazon.co.uk and cd-wow.us.
Old 01-25-06, 10:23 AM

Go to the international forum.
We have a list of many sites around the world.

Yesasia.com is one that is here in the states.
Old 01-25-06, 10:27 AM

alright, yeah, i just saw the internation forum, didnt know it existed.

and as far as amazon goes, i only looked up one movie, The Decent
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...736110-4286349

and it says UK delivery only... so i dontk now..

but cdwow looks like a good place, thanks.
Old 01-25-06, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaK10
alright, yeah, i just saw the internation forum, didnt know it existed.

and as far as amazon goes, i only looked up one movie, The Decent
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...736110-4286349

and it says UK delivery only... so i dontk now..

but cdwow looks like a good place, thanks.

If you look closer it says it's delivered FREE in the UK. It costs extra to ship to the US plus there's a 1% charge on your credit card for international orders. But Amazon is the bast place for R2 DVD's. That's where I'll be getting my OAR version of Lord of War. And where I got The Descent, one of the best movies I've seen in the last 5 years.
Old 01-25-06, 11:02 AM

...and another bonus with using amazon.co.uk is that they are about the only etailer in the UK who correctly remove VAT (our stupid European sales tax) for customers outside of the EU. This means you get your stuff 17.5% cheaper, which compensates for the international shipping charge!

Not many UK etailers ship international, since the flow of imports is way bigger the other way around; you have far more titles in r1 than we do in r2. And even when we get titles, they're often not as good. So lots of us buy your releases.

Don't forget your amazon account is good across all of amazon, except amazon japan - so you won't have to set anything up specially to use the .uk site.

As I recall, CD-Wow ship from Hong Kong!

They are set up that way to offer we poor UK saps our titles without VAT on the price.

I think Sendit.com also ship internationally.
Old 01-25-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
...and another bonus with using amazon.co.uk is that they are about the only etailer in the UK who correctly remove VAT (our stupid European sales tax) for customers outside of the EU. This means you get your stuff 17.5% cheaper, which compensates for the international shipping charge!

Not many UK etailers ship international, since the flow of imports is way bigger the other way around; you have far more titles in r1 than we do in r2. And even when we get titles, they're often not as good. So lots of us buy your releases.

Don't forget your amazon account is good across all of amazon, except amazon japan - so you won't have to set anything up specially to use the .uk site.

As I recall, CD-Wow ship from Hong Kong!

They are set up that way to offer we poor UK saps our titles without VAT on the price.

I think Sendit.com also ship internationally.
The shipping cost on my normal Amazon Uk orders is usually covered by the removal of the VAT. On larger orders, the cost savings is actually greater since you get a shipping break on multiple items.
Old 01-25-06, 11:11 AM

Why would you want to buy anything from the UK?

All we get is rubbish cut by the BBFC for alleged animal cruelty.
Old 01-25-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto for amazon.co.uk, and the removal of the VAT is a good thing as well... I've only ordered a few titles that way, but I've been happy with what i got each time.
Old 01-25-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by sarah99

People may be interested in obtaining films that have had a DVD release in the UK but not in the US. If you limit yourself to your own region or country, you are missing out on tons of releases.
Old 01-25-06, 11:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've also purchased several dvd's from www.sendit.com
Old 01-25-06, 01:05 PM

plenty of interesting international stuff appears on DVD in the UK, cutting and censorship isnt as big a deal as you might imagine, just check bbfc.co.uk before ordering. i recommend amazon.co.uk too, cd-wow has a limited range on new stuff for preorder and sometimes the prices are much cheaper... they also have good sale prices at amazon.co.uk often... all thats asked is 'non R1 DVDs' so i say the best rule is purchase from country of issue, for HK use HK stores like dddhouse and korea would be koreandvds.com japan is cdjapan or amazon.co.jp and theres equivalents like yesasia that have asian bases but includes shipping in item prices and ship from with each country (pretty much) if you prefer...
Old 01-25-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To be able to get films in anamorphic widescreen like Rocketeer or films with no R1 release like Trapeze or to get the best version of a dvd like Masters of Cinema version of Metropolis or to get cool box sets like the Hellraiser Lament Cube.
Old 01-25-06, 02:21 PM

Yeah, Amazon.co.uk is totally fine, except for the value of the dollar, of course.

I've ordered once from cdjapan, and it was cheap, shipping was cheap and FAST (this was when I lived in Europe). I recommend them over amazon.co.jp.

I've bought several DVDs from the UK; cuts of films that aren't available in the U.S., like Last of the Mohicans.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 01-25-06 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-26-06, 07:47 AM

The cuts are often there because the studio wants to achieve a certain certificate - a good example are the cuts that were made for the Batman movies; instead of releasing the DVD's with a new higher certificate, Warner kept the original theatrical ones, which allowed kids in. Nearly all the cuts made - Batman Forever got the most - could have been restored, if they'd gone with say a 15 certificate. There didn't even re-certificate for the special editions, but crazily some of the extras pushed the discs into a higher certificate anyway!

I just check to see which editions are the best (ie, cuts or no cuts, widescreen or not, anamorphic or not) and buy appropriately. If they are the same, I go by price.

The UK does get things that the US doesn't. Not often, but sometimes.

But then Australia has unique releases, as well. And Korea. Etc etc.