Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Traveling Wilburys "Volume 1" & "Volume 3" with DVD due 06/12/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, i was wondering if any of ya'll know why the two TW albums are out of print? i imagine it's copyright permission somewhere, i'm just wondering where...
-di doctor-
Old 01-24-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
From what I've heard of late, George Harrison was the owner of the recordings. His estate is supposedly planning on re-issuing both sometime in the coming year.
Old 01-24-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^correct.
Old 01-24-06, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got one on vinyl, volume 2 I think and I have volume 3 on tape. It would be great to have them all on DVD. They had some hits, but thier best stuff was never released as a single - 'cool dry place', 'inside out', 'new blue moon' and the great 'she's my baby'.
I loved the Wilbury Twist music video - that and 'Doctorin' The Tardis', the only two music videos worth watching on Video Hits at the time!
Old 01-24-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mother was into these guys about a decade ago...she spent a good 2 years looking for the "missing" volume...it was sad.
Old 01-24-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
well there is this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 01-24-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
From what I've heard of late, George Harrison was the owner of the recordings. His estate is supposedly planning on re-issuing both sometime in the coming year.
that's good news! now i can stop looking for the OOP + overpriced cd of Vol I.
Old 01-25-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I ad no idea this group existed until the draft game...
Old 01-25-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I ad no idea this group existed until the draft game...
Speaking of which, isn't it time to have another draft????
Old 01-25-06, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Speaking of which, isn't it time to have another draft????
I agree.
Old 01-25-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really looking forward to these being reissued...didn't get them the first time and really would like to own them.

MATT
Old 01-25-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I read somewhere that they were going to release them with unreleased tracks as well which I hope is true.

Now if Jeff Lynne would get off his ass & finish remastering the ELO catalog.
Old 01-25-06, 10:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

and release some in 5.1 Hi-rez
Old 01-25-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can blame that on Sony Music. They are starting up the remasters though, ELO II and another one that I can't remember.
Old 01-25-06, 11:03 AM

I hope the news is true about a re-release. I have Vol. 3 and had Vol.1 until it was stolen, so I'd love to get it back without having to pay out the ass.

I remember them having some kind of import or bootleg CD that had some unreleased tracks including on that I *cough*downloaded*cough* called Maxine. I'd love to hear the rest of those tracks.

Does anyone else here think that Roy Orbison was a little out of place musically in the Wilburys? Don't get me wrong, I love him on his own, but I thought his style clashed with the rest of the guys.
Old 01-25-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
You can blame that on Sony Music. They are starting up the remasters though, ELO II and another one that I can't remember.
Not from what I had read. Supposedly Epic was waiting on Lynne to deliver the masters with extras for the other albums which still have not been done. Granted this could be completely untrue or old news as I read this back when the remasters for Eldorado, Discovery, Time & Secret Messages were just released (way back in 2001 ).

Sorry to go off topic but why release 4 discs & just drop the rest of the catalog? I was really looking forward to a remastered Out Of The Blue, Balance Of Power and A New World Record more than anything!

I also think Lynne was irritated by the luke-warm reception he got for his very underrated 2001 ELO album Zoom. It didn't sell well, so he said fuck it. Fuck the tour, fuck the rest of the catalog, and just went on to other things. I would love to know how much music he has just sitting around waiting to be released that will never see the light of day.

Back on topic: As far as Roy Orbison goes, I thought he was fine. His vocals on Handle With Care were awesome. And you gotta love his growl on Rattled. I really doubt he did much more than show up, sing a few parts and maybe contribute some minor guitar. Lynne is/was a huge fan so I think they had him there just for his own pleasure more than anything.

If anything, I would have dumped Dylan. Never been a fan and I hate his voice. You already have Petty in there who sounds like a finer-tuned Dylan anyway. I know, blasphemy to some of you but as I said, I have never been a fan.

I would have liked to see what they would have done with Del Shannon taking Orbison's place for Vol. 3 (if he hadn't have blown his head off first).
Old 01-25-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll certainly be picking these up. Never was into them before, but heard a couple songs in the past years I've really liked.

And on Jeff Lynne, what I would love more than anything is a nice clean version of "I'm Gone", the b-side to "Every Little Thing". I love that song so much, but only have it on an old cassette tape of the single. Heck, I'd even rebuy "Armchair Theatre" if it was slapped on the end of it.
Old 01-25-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure one of the bonus tracks on a possible re-release will be the cover of Del Shannon's "Runaway", that was the b-side of the import CD single of "My Baby".

I've got still got the original of that, and the other two CD's.

Speaking of the Wilbury's, though - anyone heard the cover version of "Handle With Care" on the new Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley) album that came out yesterday yet? She does it as a trio with Conner Oberst (Bright Eyes) and Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie).
Old 01-27-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the vinyl but haven't played it in at least 15 years.

It will be nice to have the stuff on cd.
Old 01-28-06, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

Speaking of the Wilbury's, though - anyone heard the cover version of "Handle With Care" on the new Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley) album that came out yesterday yet? She does it as a trio with Conner Oberst (Bright Eyes) and Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie).
Yes, I have. It's not nearly as good as the original but I still like it. But then, I'm a Rilo Kiley fan.
Old 08-09-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know this is a Traveling Wilburys thread but I just saw something that may interest the Jeff Lynne fans out there.

I had no idea but it appears that Jeff finally did get off his ass and ELO I and ELO II have been remastered an released back in March (never heard a thing about them).

The rest of the ELO remasters are supposedly coming this September. www.elomusic.com

This was a total surprise to me and thought others may not know about it as well.

Now...any news about the supposed remastering/re-releases of the Wilburys stuff?
Old 08-14-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
Does anyone else here think that Roy Orbison was a little out of place musically in the Wilburys? Don't get me wrong, I love him on his own, but I thought his style clashed with the rest of the guys.
I know I'm 8 months late here, but...

Just looking at how much the other four guys idolized Oribison, I really don't think he was out of place.
Old 01-05-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So... I guess it wasn't coming...?
Old 01-05-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I really thought after Harrison's death this and a new "greatest hits" of his solo work (which is sorely needed) would be forthcoming faster.
Old 01-05-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Wilburys could ride again with Sting and Chris Isaack replacing George Harrison and Roy Orbison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.