Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Next 360 Game: King Kong or Need For Speed: MW?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they're different games, but I got King Kong for Xmas and I still haven't gotten around to opening it. The gift came with receipt, and it was full price, so I can pick up any other 360 game.

I know the knock on King Kong is that it's a little short, but I loved the movie and don't mind playing through short, excellent games a few times (as long as it is excellent). I tried PGR at a friend's house and couldn't get into it, I'm more for the arcade racing feel and I've always liked the NFS series.

I'm just now hooking up my Xbox Live connection (and getting SMOKED at Madden & COD), so NFS has a leg up there. Anybody played both and have a recommendation? And how good is NFS on XB Live? I'm almost through with Condemned and I'm trying to figure out what to play next, thanks.
Old 01-23-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Here's a review I wrote for King Kong. Most reviewers seemed to like it quite a bit more than I did, but I found King Kong to be a game I appreciated more than enjoyed. There's also some back-and-forth about it in this earlier thread.

I've really, really been enjoying Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Manic, destructive...I have a hard time playing PGR3 anymore because I'm so used to that style of gameplay now. The online is underwhelming, especially because you don't have to fuss with traffic in most of the modes, there are only a few races, and only a few people can race against you at once.
Old 01-23-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I rented King Kong and thought it was a great game.....only played through about 30+% I think though. I played the NFS demo and thought it was just ok, but MANY positive reviews on that. I would probably get NFS, but with Full Auto and Burnout on the horizon, I passed on it.
Old 01-23-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played the demo too and I was pretty impressed, but I've heard that the demo isn't nearly as good as the actual game, but I don't know how true that is. Since I can pick anything else up that I want, the games available that I don't have are DOA4, Quake 4, Kameo, Tiger Woods, PGR, Tony Hawk, King Kong, and NFS: MW. King Kong and NFS are the only ones I have a real interest in, I've heard some rough reviews for the rest of them. King Kong looks absolutely amazing, but I thought Adam's review sounded pretty spot-on and it sounds like it can get awfully redundant. I've got until the end of the day for my Best Buy run, so I'm leaning toward NFS at the moment.
Old 01-23-06, 11:53 AM

Another vote for NFS MW. I just beat it the other day and it's my favorite racer ever. If you loved the series so far, it is a no brainer. By far the best IMO. Plus, It's long. It will take you quite a while to beat it. Story mode is awesome. GREAT GAME, BUY IT NOW!!!
Old 01-23-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
NFS:MW is great. Are you considering Condemned at all?
Old 01-23-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
NFS:MW is great. Are you considering Condemned at all?
It's actually what I'm playing through right now. AWESOME game, cannot recommend it highly enough, my favorite 360 game so far, but I don't know how much I would replay it.
Old 01-23-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll likely be purchasing Kong sometime. I only have NBA 2K6 right now. My next game will likely be Dead or Alive 4, Kong, or NHL 2K6.
Old 01-23-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, out of the games you DO NOT have....NFS seems to get great reviews. I'm enjoying Kameo and I'm not a BIG platformer. PGR3 is ok...but nothing great, takes some getting used too. Tiger Woods is pretty good, if you like golf. DOA4 is good, if you like fighters....I don't really, but I rented it and enjoyed it, glad I didn't buy it though. Quake 4 is decent too...people say the framerate is horrible, I think it's ok...people like to bitch I guess. I don't like the LIVE as much, just not my style, too close quarters....I prefer a Halo or PDZ for my LIVE.

I think I own or played almost ALL of the launch titles, so I can give you opinions on any game just about. (I own NBA 2K6, Madden, Tiger, PDZ, PGR3, Quake4, Kameo,Condemned,CoD2)
Old 01-23-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, out of the games you DO NOT have....NFS seems to get great reviews. I'm enjoying Kameo and I'm not a BIG platformer. PGR3 is ok...but nothing great, takes some getting used too. Tiger Woods is pretty good, if you like golf. DOA4 is good, if you like fighters....I don't really, but I rented it and enjoyed it, glad I didn't buy it though. Quake 4 is decent too...people say the framerate is horrible, I think it's ok...people like to bitch I guess. I don't like the LIVE as much, just not my style, too close quarters....I prefer a Halo or PDZ for my LIVE.

I think I own or played almost ALL of the launch titles, so I can give you opinions on any game just about. (I own NBA 2K6, Madden, Tiger, PDZ, PGR3, Quake4, Kameo,Condemned,CoD2)
I actually forgot to list the basketball titles, I don't have either of them but it seems like NBA 2k6 is the only choice right now. I'm usually primarily into sports games, but I've branched out more than usual with the 360 mainly because of how unbelievable it looks in HD. I'm curious about NBA 2k6 now, I completely forgot about that one. Is the franchise good and how does it play online? I'm glad I asked, this morning I was leaning towards opening King Kong, and now its drifted pretty far down my list.
Old 01-23-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NBA 2K6 is a GREAT B-ball game. Graphics are not a NEXT-GEN jump, but they are pretty good. I've only played the franchise, and it's pretty fun and in-depth. The computer is actually pretty good too....some games are pretty damn close. fun times.

NHL is pretty good too. The only thing that annoys me is when the CPU subs your lines around in franchise when someone is injured. I will probably pick it up next.
Old 01-25-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a head's up....NBA and NHL 2K6 will be $49.99 starting Sunday 1/29. You can use the $10 coupon and get them for $40...which is a nice deal. I may get NHL

THIS IS BEST BUY
Old 01-25-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NFS:MW is awesome.
Old 01-25-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a head's up....NBA and NHL 2K6 will be $49.99 starting Sunday 1/29. You can use the $10 coupon and get them for $40...which is a nice deal. I may get NHL

THIS IS BEST BUY
Ok well that's settled then, thanks. I went the other day and they didn't have NFS:MW, I was going to wait but I'll pick up NBA 2k6 next week. I did snag X-Men Legends II PSP for 19.99 with the 10$ off coupon.

Last edited by bravesmg; 01-25-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 10:15 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Kong is next up in my Que at Gamefly, so I'm not up to snuff on it yet. My accolades for Most Wanted are here.
Old 01-25-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Ok well that's settled then, thanks. I went the other day and they didn't have NFS:MW, I was going to wait but I'll pick up NBA 2k6 next week. I did snag X-Men Legends II PSP for 19.99 with the 10$ off coupon.
Also, rumor is MEIJER stores are having buy one get one 50% off sale again this weekend (Fri & Sat only). People are saying they have a 15% off coupon too in the flyer. Thus, 2 360 games would be around $80 or less (if my math is correct)
Old 01-25-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, rumor is MEIJER stores are having buy one get one 50% off sale again this weekend (Fri & Sat only). People are saying they have a 15% off coupon too in the flyer. Thus, 2 360 games would be around $80 or less (if my math is correct)
Damn, I miss Meijer. The one I used to frequent in Michigan was great. Here in Boise, the only places to shop are the normal nationwide chains. There's GameCrazy, but I haven't seen many deals there at all. GameRush was great too, but I haven't seen a single corporate-owned BB yet. They're all small franchises with no selection and accept no coupons.