Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dirty Sony

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty Sony

Out of all the major studios Id have to say Sony is my least favorite when it comes to DVDs. Due to how they re-release films that have adequate DVDs countless times just to make more and more money. While they leave more deserving movies with mediocre quality and bare of any special features. Also what’s up with them and criterion if they don’t want to make quality DVDs themselves then why not let criterion do it when they know their customers are waiting and hoping for those DVDs.

So I started this thread to find out which movie you feel Sony is screwing you on by not releasing it with an adequate DVD or by not releasing it at all. Also if you wish tell us what movie you’re tired of seeing them re-releasing please do so.

Deserving: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Tired of: Snatch
Old 01-22-06, 11:55 PM

Just wait til Blu-Ray. It'll start all over again.
Old 01-23-06, 01:03 AM
Suspended

They are taking advantage of the the High Def Dvd thing already. They knew they were gonna be releasing the fifth element on Blue Ray so what do they do? They release It in a new "ULTIMATE EDITION" a few months before they announce it as a blue ray disk. But if we look back further to that they had the orignal dvd release first followed by the superbit release. After that came the "ULTIMATE EDITION" and now in a month we will have the blue ray version.
Old 01-23-06, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
Sony has re-issued about 40 titles in "fullscreen" only versions, when they previously had both versions on the same disc. That's enough reason for me to leave them out of my consideration for a new widescreen TV (that and the rootkit thing on their music CDs.)
Old 01-23-06, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I think Universal deserves more complaints than Sony.At least Sony releases tv sets that aren't flippersToo many problems with there discs compared to Sony.
Old 01-23-06, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's not forget the 4 different versions of Mask of Zorro.

As for Universal, if your dvd player can handle their flippers, then you have to praise them.

-Bela Lugosi Set: 5 movies/$20
-Hammer Set: 8 movies/$20
-Hitchcock Set: 14 movies, 1 bonus disc/$85

Those are great deals....BUT, if you can't play any of these, then feel free to rip.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 01-23-06 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Someone at Sony must really love "The Fifth Element."