Reload this Page >

Incorporating Themes into Your DVD Watching

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-20-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of DVD-watching going on around these parts, but how many of you incorporate themes into doing so? By that, I mean does your viewing on a given day or week ever stick to a particular theme? Perhaps films with a certain actor, by a particular director, or theme?

I don't actively try to do this, but have found myself holding off certain titles to be viewed around the same time. Right now, I've been going through a Bette Davis snap, including the WB box set and some of her Fox titles. When I got the King Kong box set last month, I watched the three films over three different nights, not watching any other DVDs in between.

Anyone else do this sort of thing?
Old 01-20-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Starting tonight, I plan on watching one episode of the Decalogue per night (for the next 10 nights, obviously) without watching other movies between. This is my first time going through the Decalogue, and I want it to have the maximum effect.
Old 01-20-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually do the opposite. I intentionally spread similar titles out for some variety. I buy a lot of box sets and it's very rare that I'd watch two movies from the same set in one week.
Old 01-20-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends and differs from month to month. Really, the only time I do a theme based viddey schedule on purpose....is during my monthly marathons with buddies. It's always a theme party with theme food and sometimes even costumes. Example....last week was my annual Film Noir party....24 hours straight. The guys were wearing trenchcoats and old hats. The few girls that showed up looked like dangerous dames in old dresses and high heels. A few were even puffin' on their cancer sticks, outside of course.

Usually, my viddey schedule each night is made up with vaious titles and usually not related.
Old 01-20-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't imagine a 24-hour marathon. Are there breaks admist the time period?

I'd imagine sitting around in a trenchcoat would get mighty uncomfortable before too long.

What'd the lineup consist of, anyway?
Old 01-20-06, 04:52 PM

I try themed viewing occasionally, but I always seem to get sidetracked. For example, I decided to watch all my Jim Carrey DVDs in theatrical release order. I got through Dumb and Dumber and Batman Forever, but then I felt the need to switch to the superhero DVD lineup. Then I might hit The Incredibles and decide it's Pixar time. I get to Toy Story and then I want to watch Ernest movies. Ernest Saves Christmas then leads me to Christmas movies, which lead me to The Grinch, and then I'm back at Jim Carrey again, having taken the scenic route.
Old 01-20-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It depends on my mood - sometimes I'd rather just choose some random DVDs to watch. Sometimes, though, I like to work off a theme. Right now I'm trying to watch a bunch of Russian films, and I'm hoping to have a Studio Ghibli marathon come the DVD release of the three new films in March.
Old 01-20-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every summer I watch all 9 seasons of the X-Files. I usually watch 2 episodes almost every night.
Old 01-20-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watch whatever I feel like, lol.

One night I had this random craving for some Dawn of the Dead.
Old 01-20-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im in my Sci Fi Theme at moment, just finished Galactica 2.0, now finishing off my Stargate SG-1 (half way through Season 7). In the last 2 weeks I also watched Star Wars eps 2 to 6 and Serenity
Old 01-20-06, 05:59 PM

I'm going through a Western fix as of late. The Peckinpah box set was a revelation to me. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid blew me away. I'd go so far as to say it's on par with The Wild Bunch. Think I'm going to watch A Fistful Of Dollars tonight.
Old 01-20-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Since I got a five disc player I always have themes to my viewing. Mostly during the months with a lot of darkness. Classic tv night(60s and 70s), modern tv night(80s -present), movie nights are a double feature of films from the same time period and genre, and saturday is always stuff like serials, cartoons, old creature features, tarzan, etc.
During the summer it's Drive-in time. Load the player with cartoon, first feature, intermission, trailers, second feature.