Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find the GameCube's pad to be severly uncomfortable?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to play VJ2 and getting those slow/quick modes using the triggers is torture on my hands. My fingers are somewhat large, and if it didn't have that little hump separating the top of the controller it would be somewhat bearable. I see reviews stating its the most comfortable/easiest to use but its honestly the only controller to give me problems getting to all its buttons (going back to the NES era). I've tried moving my hands farther down so my index fingers fit nicely into the grooves, but then i can't get to the top kidney button. Any alternatives, or larger controllers available?
Old 01-18-06, 08:34 PM
Suspended

I personally think that the Wavebird is the best controller evermade.

To each his own I guess.
Old 01-18-06, 08:39 PM
tpc

I too find it very confortable. I can game for hours with it, but a dual shock makes my hands hurt after an hour or so.
Old 01-18-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its my choice for the most comfortable with the Xbox S controller a close second. Can't stand the dual shock, but I deal with it.
Old 01-18-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the dreamcast was the best for me. I can't stand multiple triggers on the same side and the erratic size/position of the gc buttons.
Old 01-18-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I don't like it much. I ended buying dual shock converters from liksang but still some games do work better with the cube controller because the button layout is more important.
Old 01-18-06, 10:24 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's the best controller ever made. Just fits my hands perfectly.

But I see your problem with the triggers. Resistant analog triggers like on the dreamcast, GC and X-box (and probably 360) are tough on your fingers in a game that requires you to use them all the time.

The dual shock is better in that regard since it just has shoulder buttons that require a simple tap and don't tire out your fingers like the spring loaded triggers.
Old 01-18-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Its my choice for the most comfortable with the Xbox S controller a close second. Can't stand the dual shock, but I deal with it.

I agree.

The only thing I would add is that the Dpad really sucks. Other than button tapping I can't really use it to move a character. I go the hori digital controller (wish they would make it availabe here) for games that require extensive use of the Dpad and for using the GBA player. I'm glad it will be able to be used on the revolution. Especially if they allow use on the retro games.
Old 01-19-06, 12:05 AM

The only Nintendo controller I ever cared for was the SNES one. The N64 controller is the worst controller ever IMO, with Cube a close second.
Old 01-19-06, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have somewhat large hands and I really dig the Cube's controller. The dual shock and dreamcast controllers are the ones that still give me nightmares. My favorite is the s controller on the X-Box though. That thing is perfection and from what I here the 360's is a step up from that.
Old 01-19-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No problems here either. For comfort, the GC can't be beat. Digital pad and button shapes being another topic. Like the others I can game for hours and forget I even holding a controller.

Runner up would be the 360. They took the S-controller, which was good and perfected it. Still not as comfy as the GC, but it's up there.
Old 01-19-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the Gamecube controller. I hated it when I first SAW it, but after playing with one it was bliss. I love the button layout, it just feels natural and flows so smoothly.. the much-loved "diamond" button layout feels too mechanical after playing a long Gamecube game in my opinion. This was really apparent to me after playing Tales of Symphonia and then going back to one of my PS2 Tales games.. I really missed the Gamecube controller!

Xbox 360 is probably the best version of the "standard" layout though, it really is great. I have no interest in a 360 (and probably never will) but I've wanted to buy one of the controllers for my PC ever since I held one. I don't have an issue with the PS2 controller other than the analog sticks are shit and left stick is in a horrible position considering it's the primary control function. My vote for worst is the Dreamcast standard controller. What a vile piece of work that was. The analog stick was worse than the PS/PS2 one, the D-Pad had sharp edges which cut into your finger with prolonged play and the shape of the controller was horribly uncomfortable.
Old 01-19-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the GC controller because my father who used to play games with me when I was young (atari, NES) was able to play again. He found that the different shaped buttons and large A button allowed him to focus on the game and not worry about what button he was hitting.
Old 01-19-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
I personally think that the Wavebird is the best controller evermade.

To each his own I guess.
I agree
Old 01-19-06, 09:02 AM

I love the gamecube controller but I have very small hands so it's perfect for me, and I think the 360 controller is equally comfortable. The old Genesis controller and the Duke were the only controllers that I hated.
Old 01-19-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

fits me quite well, but I have small hands.
Big feet though, ladies, big feet.
Old 01-19-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
Big feet though, ladies, big feet.
Because SO many women are in THIS forum, reading THIS thread.

You have issues now... have you seen the proposed controller for the Revolution?

Have fun!
Old 01-19-06, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Because SO many women are in THIS forum, reading THIS thread.

You have issues now... have you seen the proposed controller for the Revolution?

Have fun!
Old 01-19-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I love the GC controller because my father who used to play games with me when I was young (atari, NES) was able to play again. He found that the different shaped buttons and large A button allowed him to focus on the game and not worry about what button he was hitting.
Bingo. It's got the same functionality of the others but is much easier to adapt to for non-gamers due to the ergonomics of the buttons (size & shape). It's one of the reasons I believe Nintendo knows what they're doing with their new system.
Old 01-19-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing I disliked about the Gamecube controller was the Z-button.
Old 01-19-06, 12:00 PM

I dislike the gamecube controller. I find it extremely odd and the D pad IMO is the worst. Way too small. Pluss, the way that it sits out on a peninsula, my thumb gets caught moving from stick to D-Pad. If I play my Gamecube, I use an adapter to use the PS2 controller. Again, not trashing the system, I think it's great exept for the controller.
Old 01-19-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Nope, overall it's very comfotable.
Old 01-19-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
I dislike the gamecube controller. I find it extremely odd and the D pad IMO is the worst. Way too small. Pluss, the way that it sits out on a peninsula, my thumb gets caught moving from stick to D-Pad. If I play my Gamecube, I use an adapter to use the PS2 controller. Again, not trashing the system, I think it's great exept for the controller.
I don't like the Z button or D-pad either. Could have been much better in those categories.
Old 01-19-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The Gamecube controller ranks the highest out of the three consoles in that generation for me. Right now the 360 controller is the best, but I thought the GC controller felt and worked great in my hands. Never understood why the PS2 controller is rated so highly be people.
Old 01-19-06, 09:04 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I don't like the Z button or D-pad either. Could have been much better in those categories.
Definitely. I just don't hold those against it much since so few games I've played required their use in any major capacity.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.