Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 09:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'Reunion' Killer Revealed?

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=7061

REUNION

QUESTION: Peter, this is not a new issue, but it came up again with "Reunion." You know, you left the audience hanging. Doesn't that have an impact on future shows like that you do, and isn't there some way you can give them a payoff, even if it's like "John Doe" on the Internet?

PETER LIGUORI: It is regrettable when stories end before it's time. I don't think that should stop us from being ambitious with serialized storytelling. I do wish that in every one of these situations there was a way to wrap up that story. "Reunion" was particularly cumbersome in terms of trying to provide an ending for the audience. How Jon was laying out the show to gap those additional 14, 15, 16 years was an incredibly complex path. There were a number of options and he didn't make a definitive decision on which option he was going to go with as to who the killer was, and there was just no way to accelerate that time. We put these shows on and we're going to continue to put these shows on every year with every good intention to end them, but eventually the audience votes.

QUESTION: (Inaudible) without knowing who the killer was?

PETER LIGUORI:
Spoiler:
We discussed a number of options on that show, and the best guess was at that particular time that it was going to be Sam's daughter that was actually the killer.
There are also some tidbits about the network's plans and whatnot for Arrested Development, Malcolm, Bernie Mac, Futurama, etc.
Old 01-18-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's bogus. I have read several interviews with the creator, Jon Harmon Feldman saying that they hadn't even introduced the character who was the killer. Not only that, but FOX lamed out on this show because they knew it was a one-season only show.
Old 01-18-06, 10:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Either way, it's kind of a dick move on FOX's part considering the way they are reportedly blocking WB from getting the show and finishing it up proper.
Old 01-18-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
That's bogus. I have read several interviews with the creator, Jon Harmon Feldman saying that they hadn't even introduced the character who was the killer. Not only that, but FOX lamed out on this show because they knew it was a one-season only show.
Gawd I hope that's true. It was always said that it would be one of the 6 friends that was the killer wasn't it?
Old 01-18-06, 10:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In that interview, he basically admits they were making it up as they were going along. Doesn't surprise me.
Old 01-18-06, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think originally it was going to be the daughter. But the writers of the show said they were going to change the killer.
Old 01-18-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually,
Spoiler:
Sam's daughter
was my main guess.
Old 01-18-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guessed the killer after the first show (not sure if I posted it then or the second episode). If the stupid f*cking search would work, I go probably go back and prove it Not a real surprise at all.
Old 01-18-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet you they were making it up as they go.
Old 01-19-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
I guessed the killer after the first show (not sure if I posted it then or the second episode). If the stupid f*cking search would work, I go probably go back and prove it Not a real surprise at all.
How the hell did you do that when Amy wasn't even pregnant after the first show?

Newfies.
Old 01-19-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flave
How the hell did you do that when Amy wasn't even pregnant after the first show?
Not to mention we didn't even know who DIED until several episodes in.

Man, you must be like Allison DuBois from Medium.
Old 01-19-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fine, I'll revise. After we learned she was pregnant, I guessed it was the baby. Didn't matter who died, we already knew there was a murder, since it was what the series was based on.

No surprise that the show was made up on the go. Pretty evident after watching just a couple of episodes.
Old 01-19-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Found what I was looking for. Last post, first thread after the first episode, before the second episode aired.

Allison DuBois has nothing on me, bitch.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=83
Old 01-21-06, 10:51 PM

isn't there some way you can give them a payoff, even if it's like "John Doe" on the Internet?
what's he talking about there?? i remember how john doe ended in the season finale.. but was there something on the internet revealing everything??
Old 01-22-06, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there was a season finale, but it didn't reveal the complete mystery of the series ie, who John Doe was, where he came from, what the mark was, how he got so smart, etc.

From wikipedia:

After the show was cancelled, one of the producers revealed the show's main plot secret in a TV Guide interview. Apparently, the Phoenix Organization is a semi-scientific, semi-occult group conducting research into near-death experiences. They believe that the total knowledge of the Universe is conferred onto one at the moment of death, so they killed John and brought him back to life in order to gain access to that knowledge.

The show's final episode revealed that Digger, one of John's closest friends, was in fact a mole and the true leader of the Phoenix Organization.

From SCIFI Wire: 'Purcell said in an interview at the Television Critics Association winter press tour [...] "Apparently I was the messiah returned," [...] confirming an earlier report in Entertainment Weekly. As for the Phoenix group? "They were working for the Vatican. ... The Catholics. They didn't want it to be revealed that the true Christ had returned."

Purcell's character had actually either died or come near death, when all knowledge is revealed, then returned with no memory of his past life.

The one secret Purcell didn't reveal: John Doe's real name.'