Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Stargate Dvd Series Really Any Good?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With all the buy 1 get one free sales on these sets, I figured now was finally the time for me to watch this sci-fi series. I am a huge sci-fi fan, and I absolutely loved the Stargate feature film. I thought the story was original, breath taking scenery and special effects, and the soundtrack was epic.

So I started watching season 1 of Stargate SG. The pilot was quite enjoyable, and I looked forward to the rest of the series. However, by episode 3, the series fell apart, and just made no sense. Ok, what is the mission of the SG teams again? Then there are these Ghooouls with aliens inside them, yet the black dude isnt affected. So the future episodes has the teams jumping from one world to another for what? The episode with the Mongolian race was one of the most boring sci-fi shows I had seen. I literally feel asleep. The pilot was impressive, but these shows feel cheap with carboard and staples production values.

My question is should I invest my time in the rest of the series? Did season 1 get off to a rocky start like Star Trek TNG? I'm really surprised since the show has won criticial praise. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-18-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I am now on Season 3 and i can tell you that it does get better as it goes on. I actually thought the pilot sucked, in fact when i first bought the Season 1 set i watched the pilot and then just let it sit on the shelf for months because i was so dissapointed. The special effects in the movie were soooo much better, but anyways i did end up giving it a second chance and i'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

As for the purpose of the missions of SG-1: they are supposed to be trying to find new technology that could be put to good use.
Old 01-18-06, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The movie isn't really a good basis in which to judge the series in my opinion, but I really like the both. As for your questions all of that is covered in the series. The mission is pretty much to make friends and get new technology to help defend Earth from enemies such as the gould. The gould are snake like creatures who have the ability to take over humans bodies. However, if the goulds body is damaged they can also go to a new body to survive. This is where 'the black guy' Tealc comes in. He is a warrior that helps to protect and serve these gould. The alien inside of him is an immature gould and therefor doesn't have control over his body, but gives him certain abilities such as being able to heal quickly. From there they jump to different worlds, with each world having a unique story line, but there is also a continuing story line following the battle with the gould up until about two seasons ago. You also have new enemies introduced after that.

It gets a little out there sometimes, but after all it is scienceFICTION. It also has great humor in the later series. At first when it was on Showtime it seems like it may take itself a little too serious. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im just about to start season 7. I used to see the odd ep on tv but couldnt get into it until I got the DVD's.

It is well worth your time if you enjoy sci fi. Of course there are a few duff episodes like all series but for the most part they are good.
Old 01-18-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Stick with it. Soon there will be several ongoing story arcs going on at the same time. You have so much to look forward to: The Asgards, The Ori, The Replicants, The Tokra, alternate earths, time travel, the Gould system lords, the ancients, several reoccuring bad guys, the NID conspiracy. Soon most episodes will reference one or more previous ones. I've followed the show for years and have all the dvds but have never watched them. I'm looking forward to watching the entire thing again a few years after it ends in 16x9 and 5.1.
Old 01-18-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I too loved the feature film, but I just can't get into the series. I've caught an episode or two here and there, but can't bring myself to make the effort of being a "fan". Just another viewpoint.
Old 01-18-06, 11:04 AM

SG1 is an entertaining series but essentialy that's all it is... If you're looking for an interesting show with deep characters and tough moral issues (akin to DS9 and TNG) then skip it but if you're looking for some good science fiction entertainment the show does its job...
Old 01-18-06, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually I would put SG1 on par w/ TNG regarding "moral issues". Both created/resolved them usually within the 1 hour. There was more arch development w/ SG1 than TNG though. DS9 did a little more w/ character development and having "grey" characters, but even that pales in comparison to B5 IMHO. Overall though I think SG1 (atleast the first 8 seasons, I haven't seen any of 9 or 10 yet so I'm not sure how it has changed) is one of the best sci-fi shows ever produced.
Old 01-18-06, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I too loved the feature film, but I just can't get into the series. I've caught an episode or two here and there, but can't bring myself to make the effort of being a "fan". Just another viewpoint.

It's definately not something you'll pick up on if you are just catching "an episode or two here and there". It does take a little while for it to really pick up (it doesn't kick into full gear until season 3 or 4), but most of the back story that has been created up to that point is capitalized on so it's not wasted time.