Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Lebowski Mystery Printing

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-13-06, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the thread about super-anal people leaving the shrinkwrap on their dvds, and someone suggesting purchasing non-shrink plastic dvd wraps, I decided to join my super-anal brothers and sisters and bought 500 dvd sleeves for a little more than 3 cents a sleeve.

I started covering my dvds (A little disappointing that I can't cover my double dvd cases, or snap cases (ala matrix, ninja turtles, several jackie chan movies... not sure what the real name of those cases are), or big cases and tins. But oh well. Since a lot of dust collects in this room, I've been using an old toothbrush to brush the dust from the dvd cases and a swiffer duster to clean the dvds themselves.

ANYHOO, taking a good look at my copy of The Big Lebowski (the old one, which I was planning to sell since I purchased the Coen Brothers Collection), I noticed it had some words printed on the underside of the dvd itself. At first, I thought it was just smudge, but I could read the words. They were in mirrored print, so I had to read them backwards. Maybe I had left the dvd on top of another dvd that had imprinted the words on the DVD.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm super anal. Keep up.

Anyhoo, the title printed on the top was "LIONHEART" with the title "WOOD" sort of overlapping it. On the bottom left and right I noticed the MTV logo and the Universal logo. Sure enough, Lionheart is a universal release and there is an MTV films movie called "The Wood." I don't own either of these movies.

As far as I can tell, this must have happened in the factory. I doubt this makes the disc worth more (such as misprinted coins), but I thought it was odd and should share.

Anyone else notice this on their dvds? If you have the old Big Lebowski, just try reflecting light off of it in different ways until you can see it, unless I'm the only one.

Last edited by newcomb being; 01-13-06 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 08:24 PM

You are dumb and this post wasted my time.

On top of that, I replied to this.
Old 01-13-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Pics?
Old 01-13-06, 09:15 PM

I'm sorry EskimoJoe, for wasting your time and all. Your thread asking everyone if there was a program that would randomly select a title for you because you couldn't decide on one to watch from your collection was smart, witty, informative, and didn't waste anyone's time. =/

Sorry Alan Smithee... I've tried to take a picture of it but it's proven impossible. It basically looks like a watermark on the dvd. I assume it's 2 differnet movies, unless there's a title called "Lionheart Wood" that I haven't heard of.

I take it nobody else has seen this on their discs... in which case... I guess I should try to exploit this and make money off of it.
Old 01-13-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by newcomb being
I'm sorry EskimoJoe, for wasting your time and all. Your thread asking everyone if there was a program that would randomly select a title for you because you couldn't decide on one to watch from your collection was smart, witty, informative, and didn't waste anyone's time. =/.

HAHA good comeback...

I take it nobody else has seen this on their discs... in which case... I guess I should try to exploit this and make money off of it.
How much do you honestly think this misprint is worth? Probably not enough to waste the time trying to sell it.
Old 01-13-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do a little digging, I remember some threads discussing someone taking fingernail polish remover or paint thinner to a DVD with print on the top and discovering a different movie printing underneath. I don't remember any of these claims being substantiated, though.

So why are you putting covers on all of your DVD's? To keep dust off the cases? That sounds like my great grandma putting a plastic cover over her couch. What's the point? Just curious

As for EskimoJoe, I'm not sure what his problem is.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-13-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
I'm sorry EskimoJoe, for wasting your time and all. Your thread asking everyone if there was a program that would randomly select a title for you because you couldn't decide on one to watch from your collection was smart, witty, informative, and didn't waste anyone's time. =

I don't really have anything to add to this discussion but I have to say that comeback was both witty and well reasearched...Bravo sir, Bravo!
Old 01-13-06, 11:23 PM

I was moving my dvds on the shelf around lately after buying a few dvds, and I noticed a lot of dust on the top of most of them. It piles up pretty good on the inside rim when you open the dvd case, and I just don't want to take any chances. I'm also in the middle of the desert, and dust collects easily here. I have to wipe down my tv and electronics that aren't under glass constantly.

This is what I got, and they seem to work great. They're resealable like comic book sleeves:

As far as the Big Lebowski dvd, it plays fine, it's just that I can see the print faintly on the underside, so if I actually did take paint thinner to the top of it, I guess maybe I would find different dvd art... but I don't really care that much. I just wanted to know if this happens frequently in the dvd world, I've never heard of it before and this is the first time I've seen it.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really liking this forum. I've lurked for a little bit, and it seems like a great place. =)
Old 01-13-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But you gotta peel that stuff off if you want to watch the movie right?
Old 01-13-06, 11:52 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by EskimoJoe

Might want to re-read the forum rules on personal attacks and threadcrapping.

newcomb being, welcome to the forum and I have not noticed this on mine. Maybe you got the last one in the stack at the pressing plant and it was sitting on top of another disc(s).

Last edited by AOD; 01-13-06 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was moving my dvds on the shelf around lately after buying a few dvds, and I noticed a lot of dust on the top of most of them. It piles up pretty good on the inside rim when you open the dvd case, and I just don't want to take any chances. I'm also in the middle of the desert, and dust collects easily here. I have to wipe down my tv and electronics that aren't under glass constantly.

This is what I got, and they seem to work great. They're resealable like comic book sleeves:

As far as the Big Lebowski dvd, it plays fine, it's just that I can see the print faintly on the underside, so if I actually did take paint thinner to the top of it, I guess maybe I would find different dvd art... but I don't really care that much. I just wanted to know if this happens frequently in the dvd world, I've never heard of it before and this is the first time I've seen it.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really liking this forum. I've lurked for a little bit, and it seems like a great place. =)
I forgot to mention that I checked my copy of the Big Lebowski and couldn't find any evidence of any different disc art.

You may want to do some searches in the DVDTalk forum for the person who removed some of the disc art. Like I said, I don't remember it being substantiated, but I would definitely say you are not the first person to mention something like this.

As for the dust. I don't live in the desert by any means, but I wouldn't think much dust could sneak into the case, let alone the disc if it is stored vertically. That said, you are free to protect your DVD's however you want. I'd imagine your DVD's on the shelves are mighty shiny!
Old 01-14-06, 12:25 AM

But you gotta peel that stuff off if you want to watch the movie right?
Yes, but the plastic is resealable like comic book sleeves. It also makes the dvd look real nice which might come in handy when I resell some of them. I guess this could be a nuisance to some people, but one dvd is usually a 2 hour affair, if not more from special features and commentaries, in which case one dvd is a multi-day affair for me. So I don't mind the extra effort to have to take it in and out of the sleeve.

I'd imagine your DVD's on the shelves are mighty shiny!
Under the right light, yep. =) Though if you're not really paying attention, you don't even notice the plastic. There was a real long thread about this here I read only a week ago. Apparently a lot of people on this forum are so anal as to take box cutters to perfectly cut out the shrink wrap that the dvds already come in and reuse those. But I don't mind swinging 3 cents a sleeve.
Old 01-14-06, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ninja proof my cases with kevlar, you can never be too anal...except when you put plastic sleeves on your DVDs.
Old 01-14-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i use digest-sized comic bags to protect the cardboard-slipcased and digipak dvds, but why bother with regular keepcases? that's a bit much.
Old 01-14-06, 08:57 AM
crs

This is pretty funny because I got the exact same "artifact" on one of my DVDs too, which is the second DVD for Disney's Dinosaur Collector's Edition.

The bottom side has a slight mirrored imprint of, very ironically, the label side of the movie What Lies Beneath.

It seems pretty clear to me though what has happened. The Dinosaur DVD (or just the clear plastic layer alone before being glued together with the rest of the DVD) has at some point been on top of a What Lies Beneath DVD before that label side's silk print has dried properly.

The Dinosaur DVD works perfectly fine though, it doesn't look like the very slight paint causes any focus problems or misalignment for the laser.
Old 01-14-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just an FYI - perhaps you should attack the source of the dust problem (not vaccuuming, etc.)?
Old 01-14-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Just an FYI - perhaps you should attack the source of the dust problem (not vaccuuming, etc.)?
Hiiiii, YA! Take that, desert.

-JP
Old 01-14-06, 09:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by EskimoJoe

EskimoJoe, as someone else already pointed out, both threadcraps and personal attacks are against forum rules. In the future, I would highly suggest that you avoid making comments of this nature. Repeat offenses may result in account suspension or banning.
Old 01-14-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have recently been tempted to remove the shrink wrap from all my DVDs that have it on still (digi-paks mainly). I did decide to remove the ones from my LOTR EEs since I have the mail-away box to keep them in. The only thing I don't like is that the DVD features sheets on the back are only held on by the shrink wrap, so I had to put them inside with the booklets. I like being able to just turn over the DVD case and read whats on it.

I believe the Simpsons sets are the same way. Season 6 mail-away box doesn't match now without the shrink wrap, but the episode lists on the backs are only held on by the shrink wrap. Or, if they do happen to have a dab of glue on them, that is even worse because removing it risks damaging the case (like LOTR: ROTK EE) I thought I was going to rip the back of that one for sure.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-14-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-17-06, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I have recently been tempted to remove the shrink wrap from all my DVDs that have it on still (digi-paks mainly). I did decide to remove the ones from my LOTR EEs since I have the mail-away box to keep them in. The only thing I don't like is that the DVD features sheets on the back are only held on by the shrink wrap, so I had to put them inside with the booklets. I like being able to just turn over the DVD case and read whats on it.

I believe the Simpsons sets are the same way. Season 6 mail-away box doesn't match now without the shrink wrap, but the episode lists on the backs are only held on by the shrink wrap. Or, if they do happen to have a dab of glue on them, that is even worse because removing it risks damaging the case (like LOTR: ROTK EE) I thought I was going to rip the back of that one for sure.
I hate that. My The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly has bubbles in the back of it because the glue pulled the cover off slightly.