Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that "auto start" from the menu annoy me.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-13-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Why does that happen? As an anal retentive film lover I have my habits when I watch a film. A ritual so to speak although I have yet to include animal or human sacrifice to the DVD God to said ritual. I like to turn all my HT gear on, put the DVD in the player, and then go about getting ready to watch the movie, which includes things like taking a leak, cleaning my glasses (no, I don't pee in my glasses to clean them ), making a cup of tea, etc... Even better if there's music accompanying the main menu that puts me in the proper mood. The other thing is that I figure that by the time I'm ready, all those annoying adds/trailers will be over and the DVD will be at the main menu. So, when I'm ready, I turn all the lights off, sit down comfortably in my movie throne, and start the film. Now it pisses me off when I'm all set, go back to the living room only to find out that the movie has already started! Arghhh!

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-13-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-13-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed most Warner Bro. DVD do that.
Old 01-13-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Why does that happen? As an anal retentive film lover I have my habits when I watch a film. A ritual so to speak although I have yet to include animal or human sacrifice to the DVD God to said ritual. I like to turn all my HT gear on, put the DVD in the player, and then go about getting ready to watch the movie, which includes things like taking a leak, cleaning my glasses (no, I don't pee in my glasses to clean them ), making a cup of tea, etc... Even better if there's music accompanying the main menu that puts me in the proper mood. The other thing is that I figure that by the time I'm ready, all those annoying adds/trailers will be over and the DVD will be at the main menu. So, when I'm ready, I turn all the lights off, sit down comfortably in my movie throne, and start the film. Now it pisses me off when I'm all set, go back to the living room only to find out that the movie has already started! Arghhh!
Two words: Press Pause
Old 01-13-06, 12:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
Two words: Press Pause
usually you can't right off the bat. goes into warnings and you can't pause or ff those. i don't think i have experienced movies that start auto from the movie menu only ones that surpass the main menu and then go straight into movie. that annoys me as i like to see the menu and if any audio options.
Old 01-13-06, 12:18 PM

I've noticed that as well....I personally think it's screen saver type feature. A lot are jumping on these new plasma's etc which have higher chances of burn in. That way if you leave it on the static menu for to long the movie will start so you don't have a DVD menu burned into your TV.

If that's the case cool...otherwise I have no clue why they would do it.

It is a little annoying.
Old 01-13-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they do it for people who don't know how to work a DVD player and/or those who lost the remote.
Old 01-13-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do the same thing and it annoys me too. I wish instead that it were an option people could set in their DVD player preferences so those who want autostart could have it, and those of us who don't needn't be bothered.
Old 01-13-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just experienced this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I don't remember what movie it was.
I turned everything on and inserted the DVD in my HT.
Went downstairs to get a soda, lock up the house, etc. My wife got her drink, we went and checked on the kids and then entered the theater.
When we walked in it was 10 minutes into the movie. Very annoying.
Old 01-13-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda like the auto-play thingie, because it can prevent burn-ins whenever I fell asleep when listening to commentaries.
Old 01-13-06, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by eedoon
I kinda like the auto-play thingie, because it can prevent burn-ins whenever I fell asleep when listening to commentaries.
LOL Commentaries are that bad huh

I really think it's the burn in or those who don't know how to operate them.

My grandmother is a movie nut...She has a huge collection. But they are all VHS. She got a DVD/VHS combo unit and tried one DVD and said she didn't like it LOL.

Hasn't bought one since.
Old 01-13-06, 02:39 PM

I LOVE THE "AUTO-PLAY" FEATURE!!!

When my husband is out of town on business, I pop one in, usually "The Maltese Falcon", and fall asleep on the couch. It's the only way I can get some sleep when I'm alone in the house.

THANK GOD FOR "AUTO-PLAY"!
Old 01-13-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Autoplay probably good for some of people, some of us found it annoying. What we really need is: Autoplay: Yes/No feature on DVD player.
Old 01-13-06, 02:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I think they do it for people who don't know how to work a DVD player and/or those who lost the remote.
Old 01-13-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by cisman
My grandmother is a movie nut...She has a huge collection. But they are all VHS. She got a DVD/VHS combo unit and tried one DVD and said she didn't like it LOL.

Hasn't bought one since.
My mother's VCR died so she bought a DVD/VHS combo. She called me up from Florida the next day to say it has "too many wires everywhere" and she couldn't figure out how to plug it in. I tried to explain it to her patiently (really, the combo players are no different than her regular VCR, which she somehow managed to connect), but she got utterly flustered and gave up. She hasn't tried it since. She's waiting for me to visit her later this year.

How I could possibly be the product of this woman often astounds me.
Old 01-13-06, 02:52 PM
Retired

I like the auto start ones myself. I'm usually all set to watch the movie when I put it in,and I hate waiting through fbi warnings, long animated menus etc.
Old 01-13-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Warner titles have always done this...in fact their early titles didn't go to the menu at all, they went directly to the movie when you put it in the player.

It was done to make the transision from VHS easier, since that what VHS movies did. I'm just glad universal doesn't do this, because it would be bad on titles that lock out their menu options (Like Universal does on ALL their DTS titles). Now THAT is annoying!
Old 01-13-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
The thing is if I'm at the menu, I want to be in control of it, not have the disc or player decide for me that "well, you've been at this menu long enough, you must be ready to watch the movie so I'll go ahead and start it for you".
Old 01-13-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
If I'm going to watch a movie, I dislike it. But if I'm putting a movie on for my son, I'd rather not have to skip through all of the menus and whatnot. Some of the Disney movies require 10-12 skips before you can actually start the movie.
Old 01-13-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.... and DAMN IT, why can't I get an insert if I pay all that money!!!!!!???

... oh, sorry, wrong thread ...
Old 01-13-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like putting in the film, letting it play on the menu for a few while I grab a soda and popcorn, and then sitting down and watching. I HATE when I get back from preparing my movie goodies and the movie is already a few minutes in.
Old 01-13-06, 06:26 PM

Here's what I hate even more at the beginning of dvds:

"You wouldn't steal a dvd... DON'T BUY PIRATED DVDS!"

ugh.
Old 01-13-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I HATE menus- they were kinda cool when I first got my DVD player, but now I just want to watch the damn movie. I don't want to see any clips from the movie I'm about to see, and I don't want to hear Donkey keep saying "Pick me! Pick me!" I noticed some Disney titles indicate "Easy-Play" on the cover, saying that the movie will start automatically without having to use the remote. ALL DVDs should work like that, unless they're specifically interactive (which would exclude all theatrical movie titles.)
Old 01-14-06, 08:25 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I F&$%ING hate that Illegal DVD's POS that blares out as soon as you put the DVD in. It always plays about 10 nothces louder than the movie.

And why the hell can't you FWD thru the Copyright crap too! (I know they can't, but still....)

Me personally, I think they just jump straight to the menu.
Old 01-14-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
With the copyright screens, I would prefer they show those right when you put the disc in to get them over with. What I don't like is the approach Sony takes, where they go straight to the menu, but when you start the movie or show, that's when they show the copyright screens (sometimes in more than one language).
Old 01-14-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
It's like the theater. Some people like the car ads, the 'no talking' PSA messages, and ten minutes of previews. It gives them time to finish their conversations. I want the damn movie to start.

to Warner Brothers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.