Reload this Page >

Cabin Fever dvd issues......

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-09-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally picked this up over the weekend in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. But there were some strange things about the dvd I noticed.

1- the top side of the dvd where the title was,was white with tiny text for the films title. I remember back when my brother rented the dvd years ago and it didn't look like that.

2-the bottom of the dvd had some nasty large smears and a few scratches.

3- it would not read in any of the dvd players I tried it in!

Today I had to go to another Wal-Mart to exchange it since the one I bought it at(Eagan MN) was all out.

This edition came in the original holographic slip cover. And when they opened the dvd to check it is was free of the defects the other disc had. The topside of the disc had an imprint of the poster artwork on it with the title in the same large font as the cover. Also had Lions Gate and R rating logos on it...and looked exactly as I remembered it from the rental.

I then noticed the difference with the cover art between the two editions. The defected copy(that did not come in the slipsleeve) did not have the Peter Jackson quote nor film tagline on the cover at all. The brightness level also seemed very high and soft looking that the 'skull' outline with the trees is hard to see.

Meanwhile the keepcase on the holograph release had a normal looking color levels on the cover,along with the Jackson quote and tagline.

This edition did work in my dvd player(s) though.

I am wondering if anyone has bought or seen copies of the dvd as the defected one(with the white disc cover)? Since I am wondering if somehow it is a bootleg or something considering the difference in packaging and disc appearance. They both had the same sku numbers and looked almost identical. But the difference in color levels and missing tagline/quotes and difference in disc art did set off my suspicion meter.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 01-09-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were two released sets sold in the markets.

One was the Lenticular DVD Packaging and the other was just the regular packaging.

Maybe, the disc art had some major difference as well?
Old 01-09-06, 09:15 PM

It sounds like someone bought it and returned a burned disc/case...maybe they got burned on ebay and returned the boot to wal-mart in exchange for a real one?
Old 01-09-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure but it wouldn't surprise me!

I doubt Lions Gate would change the packaging/disc covers between the two releases. Since the disc content is exactly the same. With only the holographic cover/slipscase being 'special' and the sku numbers are identical also!

I also remember seeing the 'standard' non-special slipsleeve edition. And it was the same(Quote,tagline etc).
Old 01-09-06, 10:15 PM

I think the disc art is different for Lion's Gate's House of a 1000 Corpses. My copy has white disc art with small lettering like the above-mentioned Cabin Fever. I am pretty sure that the one I borrowed from my cousin before I had my own copy had different disc art. I think Lion's Gate decided to change some disc art for cheaper titles.
Old 01-10-06, 01:19 AM
Banned

Only packaging variation in HOTC was that it was in a slimline/digipak for a little bit.
Old 01-10-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought Cabin Fever when it first came out and traded it. Recently picked it up from Wal-Mart's $5 bin as well and also noticed the differences in this disc and the one i previously owned. Wasn't sure what to think of it to be honest.