Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cowsills member dead; missing since Katrina

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

Barry Cowsill was bassist for '60s singing family

Friday, January 6, 2006; Posted: 8:32 a.m. EST (13:32 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Barry Cowsill, a member of the popular 1960s singing family The Cowsills, was found dead on a wharf nearly four months after he disappeared when Hurricane Katrina flooded the city. He was 51.

Cowsill's body, recovered December 28 from the Chartres Street Wharf, was identified with dental records Tuesday, said Dr. Louis Cataldie, head of the state hurricane morgue in Carville.

The coroner had not determined the cause of death but believed it was related to the devastating storm, which struck the city August 29.

Cowsill, who lived on and off in New Orleans, had not been heard from since he left phone messages for his sister September 1, his family's Web site said.

"They tell us he'd been dead for quite some time," Richard Cowsill, his brother, said in a telephone interview Thursday. "We love him and we're going to miss him, but he's in a much better place, in my mother's arms."

The Cowsills -- the inspiration for the TV series "The Partridge Family" -- recorded a series of top hits between 1967 and 1970, including "The Rain, The Park and Other Things," "Indian Lake" and "Hair." They also were spokespersons for the American Dairy Association, appearing in commercials and print ads for milk.

Four Cowsill brothers played in the band: Barry on bass, Bill on guitar, Bob on guitar and organ, and John on drums. Their mother, Barbara, and little sister, Susan, eventually joined the group.

The Cowsills got their start in Newport, Rhode Island, where by 1965 they had a regular gig at a club. They were spotted by a producer for NBC's "Today" show who booked them for an appearance that led to a record deal.

The band broke up in the 1970s, amid acrimony that left some members estranged from each other for several years.

"It wasn't just the end of a business, it was the end of a family," Bob Cowsill said in a 1990 interview.

Barbara Cowsill died in 1985.

In addition to his siblings, Cowsill is survived by two daughters and a son.

Richard Cowsill said no memorial service was planned and that his brother would be cremated. "He always said when I leave this place, you better party. And that's what we're planning to do," he said.

Just an FYI, this guy's sister, Susan Cowsill, is in the band The Continental Drifters with Vicki Peterson (Bangles) and ex-husband Peter Holsaple (dBs)
Old 01-06-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're just full of good news this week atlantamoi.

Old 01-06-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
You're just full of good news this week atlantamoi.

Yeah, I know. But I didn't post about Lou Rawls!
Old 01-06-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Bummer.

I now have a hankering to hear Indian Lake again. Haven't heard it in a looooooong time, but I remember it as being a great, somewhat sugary, 60s pop record.

I used to own the album back in the day.
Old 01-06-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The Cowsills put out some good music.
Old 01-07-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
The only one I can recall is, of course, "Hair". Kind of a bad way to go, but at least his family knows now.