Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Roll Bounce'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Roll Bounce at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19188 and...the only part of his review that I agreed with is the statement: "you can obviously take my criticisms with a grain of salt".

Roll bounce was a positive film and, for someone like me, who grew up in the 70's, was true to the times in fashion, sound, and sensibilities. I found the movie to be much better than my expectations - and the soundtrack rocked. The banter between the friends was entertaining and Wesley Johnson (Sweetness) was spot on. Don't go expecting Othello , or even Saturday Night Fever , but do expect to jam, mothasucka!

Here's a link to Ebert's (positive) review for some considered counterpoints: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../50921004/1023

my link sucks.....

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 01-06-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-15-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree....it wasn't great, but to give it a "skip it" is way too harsh. solid 3 star effort and a nice story.
Old 02-08-07, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nostalgic and funny.

I love the DVD Talk website and movies in general. After reading the scathing review of ROLL BOUNCE, I registered just to reply.

First this movie is great because it brings back very fond memories of a time when kids were still innocent, afraid of adults and for the most part respectful. It was also a time when music was still positive and it was all about go out and party and have a good time.

I was transported back to that time because I grew up around that time, I was younger than the kids in the movie, but I do remember the music, the clothes and the running into the house when the street lights went on.

The character of Sweetness was played brilliantly by Wesley Johnathan (despite what the reviewer said). Sweetness was a man of very few words and his performance was all done through body movement and facial expressions and Mr. Johnathan delivered perfectly. We all knew and still know someone who is cocky and so full of themselves that they come across as cartoony. I have coworkers and distant relatives with this flaw.

I guess the reviewer would have enjoyed the movie more if Xavier and friends were dealing drugs at the rink or if they killed Sweetness in order to win the competition???