Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wizard of Oz.. my thoughts

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-05-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wizard of Oz - 4.5/5

I'd never actually seen this "properly" before! (Dons flameproof smoking jacket with pearl buttons)

I have to say I really enjoyed this Of course I'd seen clips over the years but never seen the film "properly" but it was great fun!
I suppose it's a kids' film (or at least a family film) but having said that, like all the best famiy films, it has a timeless appeal. There's a nice story, great characters and timeless songs, that I knew most of as a kid.
Put simply, I loved it!

A nice touch is that everyone Dorothy meets is in fact versions of everyone she knows back home. Isn't the Wizard Prof Marvel?
The crabby, wicked Mrs. Gulch = The Wicked Witch of the West
Hunk (Ray Bolger) = The Scarecrow
Zeke (Bert Lahr) = The Lion
Hickory (Jack Haley) = Tin Man

I also loved the bit when the Wizard is revealed as just some bloke behind a screen

I also think Dorothy should stood up for herself more instead of saying "I don't mean to!" a lot to the Wicked Witch etc, but it was a different time, maybe thats just my 21st century mind talking.

Last edited by grim_tales; 01-06-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to hear you liked it,although this should be in the movie forum.
Old 01-05-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry.
Can I move it? My thoughts are actually about the new SE on R1.
Old 01-05-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For once, it's an "I just a saw [Insert Classic Movie Here]..." thread that doesn't end with "...and I hated it." I knew I'd see one eventually.

Glad you liked it.
Old 01-05-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to believe there are people out there who haven't seen the Wizard of Oz yet.

Glad you enjoyed it. The new SE is quite nice, my gf got it for me for XMAS.
Old 01-05-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Hard to believe there are people out there who haven't seen the Wizard of Oz yet.

I'm stunned.

I also don't think spoiler tags are necessary on a film that's been out 60 years.
Old 01-06-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to 1939.
Old 01-06-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry about that, I can delete the spoilers then!
Old 01-06-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now make sure you follow it up with the totally different, but I think superior "Return to Oz"!

/Wheelers, man. They creep me out.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 01-06-06 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spartanstew
I also don't think spoiler tags are necessary on a film that's been out 60 years.
I thought they were kind of cute.
Old 01-06-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wait til someone gets him a copy of dark side of the moon...

no seriously....how did you never see this? wait, your across the pond...how often did it play on television over there when you were a child? This is one of those movies that I know all to well. I have seen it at least once year during my childhood....
Old 01-06-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well he was not alone. I saw the movie for the first time a few year ago on my early twenties. I'm not sure why I never watched it before, but for me it was something that is worth the wait. As imagined it, me as a fifteen years old wouldn't appreciate the movie as much as when I'm twenty. I still have so much to learn on my teens.

Now I have the 3 disc SE sitting somewhere collecting dust, and I hope I can get the time (and the mood) to watch it anytime soon.
Old 01-06-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
wait til someone gets him a copy of dark side of the moon...

no seriously....how did you never see this? wait, your across the pond...how often did it play on television over there when you were a child? This is one of those movies that I know all to well. I have seen it at least once year during my childhood....
I'm not sure... as I said I'd seen "bits" of it, just not the whole film
Yes I'm in the UK.
BTW, do you remember I reviewed Gone With The Wind on here? That was the first time I'd seen that one too. I'm definitely not a popcorn junkie, just not used to seeing old classics
Old 01-06-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't see the movie until just a few weeks ago. I got the 3-disc SE, hoping I would like it, and was very pleasantly surprised. What I think in my mind keeps it timeless, and the effects perfect, is that it's a child's dream. Of course, the sets and everything look like a kid's book - not cardboardy like Plan 9 but just innocent, as if Dorothy herself imagined them. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the full intention upon original release, but that's how it comes across now.

It also made me realize how endlessly quoted this movie is, perhaps more than any other. I can list at least a dozen quotes or things that have endlessly turned and re-turned themselves into references in the broadest possible way.

As with the OP, I did not grow up in the US so I didn't see it on TV/etc.
Old 01-06-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh its on TV every Christmas and stuff in Britain, for some reason I just never caught it until now and so watched it properly
Even though I hadn't, I could quote lines and knew the songs quite well - wierd..
Old 01-06-06, 04:42 PM
Dai

I'm surprised you never watched it on TV in England....considering the fact that there were only 3 channels when I grew up, there wasn't that much else to watch!! (and I lived quite close to you actually, in Hemel!)
Old 01-07-06, 12:38 AM
Banned

You've never seen The Wizard of Oz? Where have you been these past decades? This is very unusual!
Old 01-07-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
For Christmas, I got my best friend's wife the 3-disc set. He's never seen the movie, so these things happen. I can't wait to hear what he thinks.
Old 01-07-06, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
Sorry.
Can I move it? My thoughts are actually about the new SE on R1.
It it was a question about the DVD then it would belong in the main forum. If it was about the quality/features of the DVD then it should go into the Review forum. Since this seems to just be reflections ont the movie itself so it belongs in Movie Talk.

BTW I've never seen the original completely through myself and at this point I really have no desire to... I know the story well enough through other sources so it's just not high on my list. JMO
Old 01-07-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Back before video, it was a big deal when it came on TV. Ironically, now that it is easily available, it's easy to not get around to seeing it. It's kind of like living in an area with a famous landmark or tourist attraction and never visiting it. It'll always be there, you tell yourself, then one day you move and you missed it.
Old 01-08-06, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
I've never seen the original completely through myself and at this point I really have no desire to...
That's pretty much the way I feel.

Does anyone own the version of Wizard of Oz where Michael Jackson plays the scarecrow? I'd probably be more interested in buying that one, just for laughs.
Old 01-08-06, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe that is the 1978 movie "The Wiz".
Been thinking, isn't the story of Wizard of Oz closely related to Alice in Wonderland?
BTW, I know what you mean about the film on TV, I actually did tape it a few Xmases ago and never got round to it, then it was on TV again last Xmas (2005) but of course theb I had the DVD. But now I've seen it I'm glad I did.
Old 01-10-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

On the credits I spotted Cedric Gibbons as art director (knew who he was), but the costume designer was an interesting one - just "Adrian". I knew MGM's costumer was called Adrian, but doesnt the guy have a last name?
Old 01-10-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the doctors I work with has not only not seen The Wizard of Oz, but he never even heard of Judy Garland.

To his credit, he's from India and probably doesn't watch all that much TV that isn't in Hindu. He says he only really watches Bollywood flicks.

In the book, it was all real and not a dream.
And in subsequent Oz books, L. Frank Baum evidently forgot what he wrote in previous books because the inconsistencies in back stories and character traits ran a bit thick.
Even so, they were a fun read when I was very young.
Old 01-11-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't there a kind of sequel/remake of Wizard of Oz - "Return To Oz" (1986) starring the girl who played Mildred in "The Worst Witch" (1986)?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.