Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who here buys UMD movies for the PSP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who here buys UMD movies for the PSP?

Hi,

This has always been something that has interested me. I mean, it's already a pretty niche market who owns a PSP, I would hardly call it mainstream, but I am very impressed by the number of titles that are now appearing on UMD. The question is, is anyone buying them? The prices are average to excessive at best and when I go to the stores I just see huge racks of them. I wonder how many sell.

For example, if you already own the movie on DVD are you going to buy it on UMD so you can watch it on a smaller screen? I dunno, maybe if you were a crazy fan of the movie, but I would think people would just buy the regular version and maybe just rip it to a memory stick or something, although given the size and price limitations that's not a very viable option (which is what probably allows the UMD market to survive). believe me, if the PSP had a hard drive, which they're rumoring to add, the UMD market will be screwed because people will just rip movies to the HD.

Anyways, thoughts? How many UMD movies do you guys own?

IMO, the perfect price point is $12.99-14.99 mark. Any higher is pushing it. I see some titles in the stores for $29.99 and the dvd version is only $19.99, which version would you pick? Plus, given the 1.8 gig limit often times longer movies sacrifice extras like featurettes and commentaries.

If you were a retailer, shelf space is important....how much space can you devote to such a niche market?

Also, it seems the quality can really vary on these releases too; some apparently have good transfers and many appear to suffer from poor cropping to fit the screen and/or mediocre grey/black colors. Are there good sites that have lots of UMD reviews? And is there a definitive UMD title list?

Last edited by UKingdom; 01-05-06 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I own some. Why? Because Its easier then lugging around my Laptop or portable DVD player, and its great to prop up at work on my desk and watch a few movies. Its a pain in the ass toconvert my current DVDs, and even then the quality isn't even as close as the UMDs produce. If you're patient, you can find great deals. Ive paid around $8 each for all of my UMD Movies simply buying them used.
Old 01-04-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I continue to be dumbfounded by the apparent success of the UMD format every single day.

I had a PSP. I had one UMD. I never had the desire to watch it.

Blows my friggin' mind.
Old 01-04-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a friend that actually bought a PSP just for the UMD movies. I of course promtly showed him 10 different portable DVD players that offered better picture and a low enough cost he could actually to buy a DS in addition to the DVD hardware. This isn't always the best solution for some people however.

For those gamers that already have the PSP, UMD's are a great advantage to having an "all-in-one" solution. As Gizmo pointed out the PSP is easily portable and the discs can be had for cheap if you look for them. Considering their size and the size of the PSP it is easier to carry a PSP with some UMDs around compared to a portable DVD player and DVDs. Other then those considerations I too am baffled why some people (like my friend) consider buying a PSP soley for watching movies...
Old 01-04-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I continue to be dumbfounded by the apparent success of the UMD format every single day.

You and me both.
Old 01-04-06, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Having a PSP simply for movie watching is just, well, fucking retarded. Its a gaming system first, and a movie player second. The UMDs sell so well around here Best Buy dosn't even put the games out on the floor, but instead racks and racks of UMD movies. Insane!
Old 01-04-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently own three UMD movies, T2, Sin City and, Spiderman 2. I just ordered 4 more from DDD during their buy one get one free deal. Spiderman 2 was free, Sin City was a Christmas gift and T2 was $11 at Sams Club. The other 4 will work out to be $7.50 each. Over all I haven't spent very much. It's very nice to take the PSP on road trips. Much more convenient than a laptop or even a portable DVD players. I don't plan on creating a large collection of these unless the price is right. While many are priced over $20, you can get many of them for less than $13 if you shop around. The deal over at DDD is good unitl the 8th of this month I believe.
Old 01-05-06, 12:05 AM

I just picked up 2 UMD's at Media Play for 9.89 each. Pride FC Ultimate Knockouts and Marilyn Manson God, Guns and Government. With them going out of business I may pick up a few more, at least I will when they are 70% off. I will never pay more than $10 for one though.
Old 01-05-06, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't purchased any yet. But I do plan on getting the Family Guy: Volume 1 set. 5 UMDs with all episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 for $35. I feel watching video on the PSP is better in short bursts. Might get a movie or two as well for my plane ride from CA to NY next month.

I previously owned an 8" portable DVD player, that, while looking nice and playing my DVDs, got hot really fast and only lasted about 2 and a half hours. My PSP can last nearly 4 hours on a full charge playing games straight through. And an extra battery won't cost an arm and a leg like the proprietary battery for the portable dvd player did.

So I see the good points and the bad points of watching UMD movies, and for the life of me I can't see why anyone would ever try and own a COLLECTION of UMD movies (espessially for the price, sometimes 1.5 to 2 times the price of the fully loaded DVD), but having one or two of your favorite movies or TV shows for those long road trips is a life saver when you just got 100% complete in Burnout Legends.
Old 01-05-06, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I've bought one, Dawn of the Dead (original). I'm not looking to make a collection out of these things, but I'm looking to get two more horror movies so that I can enjoy them on long trips and so on.
Old 01-05-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
That's signature material there.
Old 01-05-06, 08:54 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I'll admit to being strangely attracted to them. Of course, I'm guilty of buying the very low quality GBA Videos also, so to me the UMD movies aren't that bad of a deal. I only spent more than $13 for a UMD movie a couple times, I think recently for the Incredibles, most of the movies I purchased were less than $10. I picked up 4 more movies at under $8 a piece with the current DDD sale. All total, I own maybe 15 movies which is good enough of a selection for the occasional trip.
Old 01-05-06, 09:43 AM

OK...I might be Older than most on this Board, so I will share what I see. I travel all the time for Work, (125,000+ miles a year). I am sitting in first class all the time. When I pull out my PSP to watch a movie, the fancy suites sitting next to me are blown away. I could have sold 100's of PSP's if I had extra's on the flights.

I have about 10 UMD's, right now. I have never paid above 10.00 for one. I also rip a lot of Movies to the Memory Stick. The Appeal is convenience. You think those suits next to me are going to spend the time ripping movies to Memory Stick? If your rate is 250+ per hour, what would you do? Work for an Hour or spend time ripping to memory stick?

If you read a lot about what is being sold, for the PSP, you will see that the Movies out Sell the Games. Most retail stores, CC, Best Buy, and Target are setting up areas just for PSP Movies. They are selling a ton of them.

Me, I will watch a Movie most of the time while in Flight, and Play games while waiting to board, and at work, and waiting in a Battle Ground Que in World of Warcraft, and while on my Thrown

PS. A lot of the guys I see Flying regularly, now have a PSP
Old 01-05-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by shine5555
OK...I might be Older than most on this Board, so I will share what I see. I travel all the time for Work, (125,000+ miles a year). I am sitting in first class all the time. When I pull out my PSP to watch a movie, the fancy suites sitting next to me are blown away. I could have sold 100's of PSP's if I had extra's on the flights.

I have about 10 UMD's, right now. I have never paid above 10.00 for one. I also rip a lot of Movies to the Memory Stick. The Appeal is convenience. You think those suits next to me are going to spend the time ripping movies to Memory Stick? If your rate is 250+ per hour, what would you do? Work for an Hour or spend time ripping to memory stick?

PS. A lot of the guys I see Flying regularly, now have a PSP
Good to know that the PSP has saturated the 500k a year earners.

Seriously though, for me, ripping the movies has always been more about utilizing as what I percieve as my rights since I already own the DVD. Despite the fact I could make more money working in the same time it takes me to rip it, I still do it as I don't care to pay twice for a movie. I guess its a principal thing, .
Old 01-05-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I look at the UMD's and I just don't get it. If they were around $5 though, I would probably buy some.
Old 01-05-06, 11:07 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Demontooth
If they were around $5 though, I would probably buy some.
$7 at DDD isn't cheap enough for you?
Here is a list of the $7 movies (yes I realize that many of them are crap, but certainly enough of a choice to find 2 movies that you like): Air Force One, Anacondas, Bad Boys, Barbershop, Big Daddy, Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure, Black Hawk Down, Charlie's Angels, Cowboy Bebop, Creature Comforts, Crouching Tiger, Daddy Day Care, Dave Chappell, Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Ghostbusters, Hackers, Heavy Metal, Hellboy, Hollowman, Joe Dirt, Labyrinth, Mad Max, Not Another Teen Movie, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Resident Evil, Resident Evil Apocalypse, Richard Pryor Live on Sunset Strip, Ronin, Snatch, Species, Spider-Man 2, Starship Troopers, Swat, Big Hit, Dark Crystal, Fifth Element, Grudge, Mask of Zorro, The One, Replacement Killers, Terminator, White Chicks, You Got Served.
Old 01-05-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Demontooth
I look at the UMD's and I just don't get it. If they were around $5 though, I would probably buy some.
Exactly!

I just cannot believe these things are selling, and it seems that every movie that comes out has a PSP version, even movies that probably won't appeal to the PSP demographic (I saw some direct-to-video or limited theater release movie called "The Gospel" or something, something about gospel singers, that was being released on DVD and UMD...what the hell?)

I just cannot believe that a movie format that works on exactly one player is proving to be successful. I think the PSP might need some better games
Old 01-05-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the UMD movies were not that great. Barely looked better than a DVD I converted and loaded on a memory stick. The sound on them is not that great at all. They are overpriced, even at $7. I had SAW (got it for $4, sold it for around $9)
Old 01-05-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most people I know who have a PSP actually have WAY more UMDs than games. When I was waiting at Best Buy for my 360, people had STACKS of UMDs, I think one kid even said he had almost ALL of them at home lol.
Honestly, to me, the PSP games are pretty crappy, I play my DS 10x more than my PSP, so I can see why people would buy it just for the movies. The "older" people I know who have a PSP, have no intention of ever buying a single game and wouldn't fuss with ripping their DVDs. I did rip a world poker tour DVD to a mem card once for a flight, and it was a pain in the ass. (Plus the quality between that and the free spiderman UMD I have is night and day)If I flew a lot, or even had to ride a bus or whatever, I'd probably buy them too.

There is a hard drive out there already isnt there, i saw it at best buy.
Old 01-05-06, 12:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only have the Spider-Man 2 disc that came with the system now, but I'd probably buy more if they had stuff out I could rewatch over and over, a la Star Wars original trilogy, Indiana Jones, Friday the 13th films, etc. I rip movies to my memory sticks for trips, but it would nice to have some of those anytime favorites available to grab in a hurry.
Old 01-05-06, 01:27 PM

I've bought some, but I'm not sure why. I think I've been brainwashed actually.
Old 01-05-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a couple, but haven't even seen them all the way through! I'd consider buying more if they had more extras (like a commentary at the very least!)
Old 01-05-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I don't plan on buying any UMDs for my PSP for the fact that 1) I already own the dvd (It's much easier to rip from my DVD collection and trash it later.) and 2) most don't have repeat watchability for me.
Old 01-05-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I own some. Why? Because Its easier then lugging around my Laptop or portable DVD player, and its great to prop up at work on my desk and watch a few movies.
Yeah, those 5"-10" portable dvd players are so cumbersome weighing in at a around a whopping 2 lbs.

I don't have a PSP (wouldn't mind one), but I certainly wouldn't waste money on a UMD. $7 or not. I too am baffled by the success.
Old 01-05-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
$7 at DDD isn't cheap enough for you?
Don't underestimate my cheapness

I am going to check out the sale though

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.