Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Starter Question

Alright, I'm really sorry for asking this, because I know it's kinda taboo in this forum...but I'll still ask and hope for your help.

Anyhow, I've held off on buying a surround sound system until now because I used to live in an apartment building. I have no clue as to whats good or anything (I have been searching this forum for recommendations). So, I basically would like to spend about $1000.00 on a starter system. Any quick recommendations?
Old 01-04-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For around ~500,the Onkyo HT-S780(87) 7.1 HTIBs are a good way to go.
Old 01-04-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure why it would be taboo. We all try to help each other in these quests!

The Onkyo shown above is a great HTIB set if you wish to go that route.

If it were me though I would go component beginning with a HK receiver, a sub like the Athena and the best speakers you can get with the balance of your money.

Search audio forums or ebay for good deals and also consider a decent used set if you must. You might be able to come close to your budget and have a great system.
Old 01-04-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the thing with pre-packaged sets is that they ususally have a weak subwoofer, so it might be better to get the speakers separately.
Old 01-04-06, 02:10 PM

I know that alot of my friends that aren't too savvy with the HT stuff tend to buy those HTIB's with passive subs. I always tell whomever is getting one to make sure you get one with a POWERED subwoofer.

I think the first thing to look for in an entry level HTIB would be a good receiver. I bought a Kenwood HTIB (with the VR-407 receiver) and out of the box it sounded pretty damn good for the price. Now the speakers weren't spectacular, but I will say that I'm still using the mains and the sub to this day and they hold their own against an Axiom VP100 center.

I personally would also look for one with larger front (left and right main) speakers. I never thought those that came with speakers the size of chicklet boxes fared too well.

But I think that if you buy one with a good receiver, you can always upgrade the speakers as you can afford it. Just make sure to get a powered sub and you should be satisfied with the whole package until the upgrade bug bites you.
Old 01-04-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. That Onkyo system above, is that something I could find at a Best Buy...or would I have to goto a specialty shop?
Old 01-04-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. That Onkyo system above, is that something I could find at a Best Buy...or would I have to goto a specialty shop?
You could probably buy it online but I always recommend that people actually listen to the speakers they buy. Even if you don't you should go to some stores and listen to some different things!
Old 01-04-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I always see the Onkyo sets at circuit city
Old 01-04-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been checking around on this system and it has pretty good ratings across the board, price is a plus as well. Can anybody recommend a good dvd player to add to this combo?
Old 01-04-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you want a standard player,or upconverting?
Old 01-05-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I don't even know what upconverting means...
I'd prefer something that is region-free & pal convertable; but I want something I can go get at BB or CC. I'm really leaning on the Onkyo system above too...