Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Review Snatch Poker Kid Edition

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19532

Reading Bill Gibron's review I hope to clear up some misconceptions, as I have the public version in nthand.

1. Only one audio track is available. The Dolby English 5.1
2. Disc 1 is NOT the Superbit.
3. In the review he mentions a 1 disc superbit. The superbit for region 1 has always been 2 discs. It has been the same as the special edition, only one opted for the Guy Ritchie Commentary, or DTS accordingly.

Any other questions?

My conclusion is that this is exactly what was done with stand by me.
they put the addon in a new box with the same special edition as before, with new cover art.

The new box is a double width box. Bright yellow. You can't miss it.

sorry you got a bad end of the review Bill. But what you said about the film in the beginning was a perfect conclusion:

"This time around, an "exclusive" poker set presentation is being used. It's still the same package as the old two disc SE, but now you can get some cards, a dealer's chip, and a collector's 'scrapbook' of film trivia. If all that floats your 'must buy' boat, then by all means pick up this obvious marketing ploy. If not, then there's really no reason to pony up the pennies and buy this unnecessary reconfiguration."

Last edited by chileorgullo; 01-03-06 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-03-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the update...

I was hoping someone would come along and discuss what was really available at the retail level come release date. I just could not believe that a UNOPENED package from a company, claiming to contain the original SE version of Disc 1 (commentary, features) would end up being the SUPERBIT version. Just how do I review what I don't have?

My opinion on the film stays the same. My opinion on the double dip and packaging is now a little better - but not from a screener/reviewer end.

I will add a note to the review. Thanks.

BILL

Last edited by Bill Gibron; 01-03-06 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill, you'd better hold on a second, it looks like things - unfortunately - aren't that simple with this set. My copy of the set (purchased yesterday at Circuit City) is the Superbit for disc 1. I am not DTS capable and this disc most certainly has the DTS track (in addition to the other track). The main menu for disc 1 even says Superbit in big letters at the bottom. So, it looks like it is hit-and-miss as to which disc 1 you are going to receive. I'm wondering now what to do as I wanted the non-Superbit disc 1. Way to go Sony.
Old 01-04-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
DVD Journal also reported getting the DTS disc on disc 1.
Old 01-04-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Okay - I thought this was going to happen...

No sooner did I add a note to my review then I got an email stating exactly that.

I will go in and add something definitive later this afternoon. Appears that it's a "gamble" what version you will get. Leave it to Sony to take the "poker kit" concept literally.

BILL
Old 01-04-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did some digging and for those who received the incorrect disc, here is the number to call: 1-800-860-2878

It will lead you to voicemail where you will be prompted to leave a message stating the title, upc (so have it ready), nature of defect, and your name/number.

Was there some problem with the Emily Rose DVD because they mention both it as well as Stargate Atlantis? Anyway, get your calls in on "Snatch" so they correct their mistake. I doubt it is a packaging printing error; their website advertises the special features as being included too.
Old 01-05-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received a call back today from a very helpful, friendly, and professional representative from Sony Entertainment. They acknowledged the error and we made arrangements for me to get the correct disc 1 (aka with the special features) via an exchange program. I'm very happy with the response from Sony in resolving the situation to my satisfacation.

The Sony representative also indicated that they would be pulling the product from retail shelves ASAP and replacing it with the correct product.
Old 01-25-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
I did some digging and for those who received the incorrect disc, here is the number to call: 1-800-860-2878

It will lead you to voicemail where you will be prompted to leave a message stating the title, upc (so have it ready), nature of defect, and your name/number.

Was there some problem with the Emily Rose DVD because they mention both it as well as Stargate Atlantis? Anyway, get your calls in on "Snatch" so they correct their mistake. I doubt it is a packaging printing error; their website advertises the special features as being included too.
Can someone tell me the UPC number? I threw away the sleeve...
Old 01-25-06, 02:32 PM

Just to add, my Disc 1 was the Superbit as well.
Old 01-25-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Five Cent Deposit
Can someone tell me the UPC number? I threw away the sleeve...
UPC: 043396116948