Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Year's Resolutions regarding DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Resolutions regarding DVDs

With the start of the new year , I decided to make a few resolutions in regards to my DVD purchases:

1) Will not buy TV DVD sets until I have watched the previous seasons I have already purchased. Since last year finally has seen the trend of deep discounting of TV on DVD, I figured I can wait to buy sets of certain series.

2) Don't buy new releases on release day. While there will always be certain titles that I will want to get on release day (King Kong for example), there are titles that I decided I can wait until 2 for 20 sales, or PVD sales at Hollywood Video or Blockbuster.

Anybody else make resolutions regarding viewing or purchases ??
Old 01-02-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've vowed to basically purchase as few dvds as possible. I've spent way too much money over the last 3 years building up my collection.
Old 01-02-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I am going to really try to cut down on dvds, instead of going the old "hell I'll just go ahead and buy it" route, I'm just making a list of titles I'd like to rent when I have time instead of wasting money. I will continue to buy worthwhile titles, but since I've got three boxsets stacked up, no more of those.
Old 01-02-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No more blind buys. Only buy the movies I must have and know I'll watch more than once, ie King Kong, Harry Potter, etc. And even some of those that I want, I'm going to try and not buy on release week because many of those will drop to $10 or be part of $2/20 sales in 6 months. Million Dollar Baby comes to mind. Rent, rent, rent.

The reason: I'm saving up to buy a widescreen HDTV this year.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 01-02-06 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-02-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I need to watch more and get my "Unwatched List" back down to double digits.
Old 01-02-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I need to watch more and get my "Unwatched List" back down to double digits.
Same here.. Although by Christmas, I'd like to be down to 0 unwatched (I know I won't be able to watch everything from Xmas in that week before '07 hits). I was so proud of myself that I was down to double digits before Xmas, and now I'm well over that again.
Old 01-02-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unless it's a deal too good to pass on or a title that I must have now, I'm not going to be buying anything until I've considerably knocked down the size of my backlog.
Old 01-02-06, 10:55 AM

I told myself I won't buy single disc releases marked at $19.99 any longer. I'll be waiting until they drop further or buying used from now on. I'll also be using a little more forethought before buying those new, single-disc releases that will end up with SEs in the near future (ala I,Robot, Day After Tomorrow, and probably The Island).

Say, that reminds me, anybody know what places like Best Buy and Wal-Mart pay for their copies before selling them?

-AC
Old 01-02-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Some self-imposed rules for the new year:
- Avoid the $1 rack. No matter how appealing the films sound, the overwhelming percentage of titles and quality are crap. The only exceptions have been Target's LAST MAN ON EARTH (an absolute steal at $1... even if it were $10), and THE LAST WOMAN ON EARTH (at Walgreens... poor video quality, but surprisingly good film)

- No more TV series completism. I realized that I don't need to own every season of every show I want to collect. Some, like LOST IN SPACE and STAR TREK:TOS are must-haves... I don't need to own every season of THE BRADY BUNCH (for example) or BEWITCHED. 2 seasons each of those are enough.

- TV series on the cheap. I don't need to have the ultimate set of a TV series. I picked up TIME TUNNEL: THE ENTIRE SERIES on DVD-R for $25. And it has been very enjoyable. Maybe not the best video quality possible, but far better than those $1 DVDs.

- Continue to listen to my internal pricing radar. I have a knack for sensing when the price of a DVD has hit a sweet spot. Keep listening to that. I've saved literally $1000's by waiting for the right time to buy... and avoid getting skunked out of a disc because it went OOP.

- Improve my ability of "letting go". Once a disc enters my collection, it is very difficult for it to leave. Last week I went through my collection to re-alphabetize and re-organize and managed to find about 10 discs that should no longer be in my collection (actually, they shouldn't have been in the first place).

..and lastly.
- set an upper limit for the size of the collection. Once that limit is reached, then no more enter until some leave.

All of these seem to fit together.

Last edited by sracer; 01-02-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, nice to know I'm not the only one who has a big stack of unwatched DVDs. I'll be trying to get this list down to double digits as well and only buy movies I know I'll watch again.
Old 01-02-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My goal is to spend no more than $120 on my entertainment - trips to the theater, books, DVDs, etc. I already have a big collection, including many films I've been wanting to watch or re-watch. Adding four or five DVDs a month seems a bit more manageable than my current rate of nine or ten...
Old 01-02-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to make smarter purchases with the DVD's that I wind up buying. Bottom line.
Old 01-02-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mine is the same as it's been the last 4 years.....buy more dvds and work on finishing up building the library. I can't buy less...because I'm not done.

And continue to not let double and possible triple dips scare me off.

Too much to buy. Let this year be my biggest "buy" year ever!
Old 01-02-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I have to make smarter purchases with the DVD's that I wind up buying. Bottom line.
Well, duh! But do you have any criteria to help you to make those smarter purchases?
Old 01-02-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My NYR is to watch one movie a day (or, in the case of TV on DVD, 2 hours a day). Hopefully this will reduce my unwatched pile... if my figures are correct, I already have enough unwatched to get me through most of the year.
Old 01-02-06, 11:58 AM

Even with my comparatively "small" collection, I've already managed to buy a lot of the movies I felt I wanted to have. A lot of old favs are already on the rack. And there aren't a lot of new movies anymore that I see in the theater and/or would want to own on DVD.

There are still some I'm patiently waiting for new releases of, such as True Lies, Face Off, Con Air, Poltergeist, Logans Run, Bettlejuice, etc. Some of these I have on VHS, so if I want to see them, I can. And I can wait. If they never come, so be it.

And my price point for a "bargain" has also fallen. Used to be $15-$20 was a deal. Then it became $10-$15. Now thanks to the WalMart $5.50 and $4.88 deals, prices have to be even lower - usually sub-$10 - to trigger my deal alarm. Used to be I'd need a good price or sentimentality to trigger a buy. Now, I often need both to kick in, which for me is a good control measure.
Old 01-02-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Mine is the same as it's been the last 4 years.....buy more dvds and work on finishing up building the library. I can't buy less...because I'm not done.

And continue to not let double and possible triple dips scare me off.

Too much to buy. Let this year be my biggest "buy" year ever!
I was waiting for good ol' gut to pop in. I knew he'd break up the monotony of all this "I'm going to spend less" with "I'm going to buy MORE." Good show. I say if you have the expendable funds, go for it.
Old 01-02-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This year I will continue to refine my practice of not buying a new release at full price unless it's a must have.

I will also be a bit more patient with TV on DVD as more and more price reductions are looming.
Old 01-02-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will only buy used movies from now on unless a sale at a B&M is better. Buying movies for $15.99-$19.99 is the biggest rip off when you have a queue the size of Oklahoma waiting for you at home.

I am a completist. If I get one season, I need them all. So my resolution is that I have to make some hard decisions about not buying cheap first seasons -- Smallville, Lois and Clark, Fresh Prince, etc.
Old 01-02-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Well, duh! But do you have any criteria to help you to make those smarter purchases?
Yeah, I consider these to be important factors in my decision making.

The replay factor - what are the odds I play it a few times and that's it?

The dust off factor - will it just sit on my shelf and collect dust for months before I ever watch it again, or at all?

The special edition factor - what are the odds of something better being made available one day?

The re-sell factor - If I buy and then re-sell the dvd, will it be worth half the price I paid for it, or even anything really?

Bottom line, is that these should be strong factors in my decision making for any future dvd purchases.

By building a library of dvd's that will serve a purpose for my individual tastes in film and entertainment, instead of buying dvd's that I feel like I want to buy and watch again, but in all honesty have no use for in the long run.

In other words, I am trying to build a dvd collection that will stand the test of time. Make a definitive collection for my own tastes. My favorite films, tv shows, music videos.

No filler garbage for me anymore.
Old 01-02-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to be deleted, accidental repost.

Last edited by dvd_luver; 01-02-06 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I resolve to buy as many Blu-Ray/HD-DVD as I can get my hands on.
Old 01-02-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Yeah, I consider these to be important factors in my decision making.

The replay factor - what are the odds I play it a few times and that's it?

The dust off factor - will it just sit on my shelf and collect dust for months before I ever watch it again, or at all?

The special edition factor - what are the odds of something better being made available one day?

The re-sell factor - If I buy and then re-sell the dvd, will it be worth half the price I paid for it, or even anything really?

Bottom line, is that these should be strong factors in my decision making for any future dvd purchases.

By building a library of dvd's that will serve a purpose for my individual tastes in film and entertainment, instead of buying dvd's that I feel like I want to buy and watch again, but in all honesty have no use for in the long run.

In other words, I am trying to build a dvd collection that will stand the test of time and will make sense. Making a definitive collection for my own tastes. My favorite films, tv shows, music videos, etc.

No filler garbage for me anymore. Time to stop buying the candy at the shop.

I think your resolution should be not to post this again.

Old 01-02-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have almost all the catalog titles I want on DVD already, so I will try to cut back on the blind buys of older titles that happen to come out now.
Old 01-02-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't really see anything changing, with the possible exception of being more selective on new releases in September and October because of possible Black Friday deals. I never expected Kingdom of Heaven and The Interpreter to go for $8 then when they had just been released 1-2 months or so earlier, although I did get that nice book with KOH.

I generally buy things on sale anyway, and I'm not the type to wait on a special edition that may never come for years, if at all. Hell, I don't even have to have the special edition if the A/V quality is the same. I CHOSE to get the original edition of I, Robot for $7.99 on Black Friday even though the CE had been available for months. Why pay double or more for some extra features? There are certain titles I will pick up if I see for really cheap that I won't pay full price or even first-week sale price for (Flightplan is an upcoming example), but those are titles I don't have to have anyway, and this has always been the case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.