Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New York Times Best of 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Times Best of 2005

I've just read Dave Kehr's "Best DVDs of 2005" list in the NY Times; interesting article:

Hailing the DVD Distributors: The Best Vault Raiders of 2005

He goes down the list of the major studios, then independents. Perhaps unsurprisingly, for Kehr, the best major studios are Warners and Criterion. Again unsurprisingly, he had this to say about Sony:
But it's Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, the current owner of the Columbia, United Artists and the later MGM library, that has been the consistent underperformer. With all the excellent material under its control, the company seems content to colorize its Three Stooges shorts and let it go at that
And about Universal:
As the owner of the pre-1948 Paramount titles, as well as an almost completely unexplored library of its own, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has tremendous potential
Too right. Let's hope that Sony and Universal see what Warners is doing and get their acts together!
Old 12-30-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent article... He basically highlighted everything I would have, if I had written it.

Good to see an article that focuses on the hidden gems that are getting released. Things like House by the River, Harold Lloyd and Unseen Cinema are the main reason I get excited about DVD these days... there's a bunch of great obscure stuff getting released.

I probably would have spent a bit more time highlighting Image Entertainment, but I suppose that 2005 was a relatively weak year for them.
Old 12-30-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And that Sony is too busy making multiple versions of the same dvds over and over and over and over.....
Old 12-30-05, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
And that Sony is too busy making multiple versions of the same dvds over and over and over and over.....
Too right! Ghostbusters, for example; sure, a decent transfer, good extras, but why not 2 discs, to give it more bitrate? The re-release was a waste! Warners, for example, would have done that. I fear for the future of the modern MGM library.

Btw, King Kong best of 2005, I'm with you!