Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2005/2006]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 06:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

So many average, ordinary people are getting sued for $5,000-$7,500 and more for illegally downloading music files to their computer.

My question is...how can they know you downloaded files to your personal pc? and, wouldn't that method in question then be illegal?
Old 12-27-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
So many average, ordinary people are getting sued for $5,000-$7,500 and more for illegally downloading music files to their computer.

My question is...how can they know you downloaded files to your personal pc? and, wouldn't that method in question then be illegal?
The DMCA gives them the ability to do so...although their methods are certainly up for interpretation, and yes, are of questionable legality.
Old 12-28-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
My understanding of it is that, if you're connected to a p2p network, your computer's IP address is visible to anyone searching for various songs, and through that connection, people can see what is available in your shared folder. All the RIAA has to do then is serve a a subpoena on your ISP to find out who you are.
Old 12-28-05, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
My understanding of it is that, if you're connected to a p2p network, your computer's IP address is visible to anyone searching for various songs, and through that connection, people can see what is available in your shared folder. All the RIAA has to do then is serve a a subpoena on your ISP to find out who you are.

Yeah, IP address, MAC address and I believe computer name are all available when you hook up with a p2p network.
Old 12-28-05, 04:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, if you don't have any copyrighted files in your shared folder, are you safe?
Old 12-28-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
How does usenet factor in?
Old 12-28-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
So, if you don't have any copyrighted files in your shared folder, are you safe?
Yes. Move your music to a different folder. But then again if everyone did that there wouldn't be any music to "share" now would there?
Old 12-29-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Don't have copyrighted files in your shared folder, and don't download copyrighted files from someone else. In other words, don't do what the RIAA doesn't want you to do.
Old 12-29-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
How does usenet factor in?
I would guess it wouldn't at all. For the RIAA to find out you've been illegally downloading files from Usenet, they would have to subpeona your ISP for a list of anyone who might be breaking the law (which is a far cry from already knowing who is breaking the law). No ISP in their right mind would do something like this, with the possible exception of Time Warner who could possibly be interested in protecting their own copyrights. Of course TW hasn't done this because they know that as soon as they start coming after their own customers, they're going to lose a LOT of subscribers.
Old 12-29-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Use Torrents instead. It is the best thing to get RIAA protected music now. It seems like no one can tell who is downloading what and just gives how many people are downloading at a time.
Old 12-29-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
Use Torrents instead. It is the best thing to get RIAA protected music now. It seems like no one can tell who is downloading what and just gives how many people are downloading at a time.
with torrents you can also see the IP of all the contributors to the swarm you are in. azureus has a filter that blocks IPs coming from sites suspected of feeding info to the RIAA/MPAA.
Old 12-29-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Remember folks, it's not illegal to download music, It's illegal to distribute copywritten material.
Old 01-03-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Remember folks, it's not illegal to download music, It's illegal to distribute copywritten material."

Amen!!!
Old 01-03-06, 04:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

ChrisKnudsen, have you seen my final post here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214035
Old 01-03-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Mordred
I would guess it wouldn't at all. For the RIAA to find out you've been illegally downloading files from Usenet, they would have to subpeona your ISP for a list of anyone who might be breaking the law (which is a far cry from already knowing who is breaking the law). No ISP in their right mind would do something like this, with the possible exception of Time Warner who could possibly be interested in protecting their own copyrights. Of course TW hasn't done this because they know that as soon as they start coming after their own customers, they're going to lose a LOT of subscribers.
And pay usenet providers?
Old 02-16-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts
RIAA: Ripping CD's to your iPod is not (necessarily) fair use

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php

It is no secret that the entertainment oligopolists are not happy about space-shifting and format-shifting. But surely ripping your own CDs to your own iPod passes muster, right? In fact, didn't they admit as much in front of the Supreme Court during the MGM v. Grokster argument last year?

Apparently not.

As part of the on-going DMCA rule-making proceedings, the RIAA and other copyright industry associations submitted a filing that included this gem as part of their argument that space-shifting and format-shifting do not count as noninfringing uses, even when you are talking about making copies of your own CDs:

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use."

For those who may not remember, here's what Don Verrilli said to the Supreme Court last year:

"The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod."

If I understand what the RIAA is saying, "perfectly lawful" means "lawful until we change our mind." So your ability to continue to make copies of your own CDs on your own iPod is entirely a matter of their sufferance. What about all the indie label CDs? Do you have to ask each of them for permission before ripping your CDs? And what about all the major label artists who control their own copyrights? Do we all need to ask them, as well?

P.S.: The same filing also had this to say: "Similarly, creating a back-up copy of a music CD is not a non-infringing use...."
There are hyperlinks in the linked article to the filing and the Supreme Court transcript.
Old 02-16-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
They must understimate the will of pissed-off music customers. Instead of trying to come up with things that are acceptable to everyone, they are just driving their customers away from their products and onto free ones.
Old 02-16-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The big "content" conglomerates would love to move to a system where everything is "rented".
Old 02-16-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Normally I support the labels when it comes to defending their copyrights, but I cannot support this. This is a very dangerous and assine argument.
Old 02-16-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
What's the over-under on the RIAA?

I hope they're out of power within the next 10 years. If they keep up like this, it might be sooner...
Old 02-16-06, 11:17 AM

From RIAA's website..
"If you choose to take your own CDs and make copies for yourself on your computer or portable music player, that's great. It's your music and we want you to enjoy it at home, at work, in the car and on the jogging trail."
Old 02-16-06, 11:43 AM

Yeah they're total sadists.
They try to put good PR around their whole mission but then they make statements like this, which doesn't put anyone on their side.

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Then why do you put viruses on CDs that attempt to prevent me from doing that?
Old 02-16-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
The big "content" conglomerates would love to move to a system where everything is "rented".
Oh, it's coming. It's coming.
Old 02-16-06, 07:53 PM

Good grief. I can't believe they're still at it.

You'd think at some point the RIAA would finally realize that they've been kicking their own ass the whole time.
Old 02-16-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They'll totally defeat themself and then just blame it on piracy.

I don't even want to buy a CD anymore because i'm afraid of the crap they might put on it.

Plus i take offence to being treated like a criminal when i'm not one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.