Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sell me on Farscape

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell me on Farscape

This will contain spoilers up to the eighteenth episode of season two, "A Clockwork Nebari". I would appreciate it if you would refrain from spoilering anything after this episode.

Farscape seems to be loved second only to Babylon 5 on this forum, and since I love B5 I decided to start watching Farscape a few months ago.

I started with the first season, which I found intriguing and entertaining. The characters were well-written and the plots engaging. I enjoyed the "fish out of water" aspect of Crichton's journey, and could see that the show was trying to create something big. I watched it in about a month.

I've been working my way through the second season for about five months.

For whatever reason, this season hasn't engaged me nearly as much. With at least two episodes, I've turned it off halfway through, not to go back for at least a week. I recently did this with "A Clockwork Nebari" and am seriously debating whether or not to remove the show from my Netflix queue and send the disc back.

It started off well enough, but almost every episode feels like I'm watching the same plot: some mysterious alien shows up on the ship and causes them all to act differently. The only episodes I can remember enjoying were the Crichton-centric ones, because the rest of the cast seems to be getting non-existent character development this season. I also am wary of this whole crazy-Crichton chip-in-the-head thing that's started up.

Should I jump ship, or keep plodding along? Watching the show feels like work now. I really want to like it. If I hadn't liked it from the beginning, I wouldn't think twice about stopping- but I really did enjoy the first season. Thoughts?
Old 12-22-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
It started off well enough, but almost every episode feels like I'm watching the same plot: some mysterious alien shows up on the ship and causes them all to act differently.
I started with the Starburst sets and watched vol. 1 and that sounds exactly like what I have watched.
Old 12-22-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right before a three-parter and then the season-finale. I would seriously give it those four more episodes because they're some of the highest rated ones on tv.com (16, 18, 9, and 10 out of 88 total). If you aren't hooked by the season finale, I'm not sure there's much hope.
Old 12-22-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went to Netflix to check on the Season 2 discs they have there. It looks like the season finale is on the same disc as the current one you have and the three-parter is on the final Season 2 disc?

If so, I really would not recommend watching the finale before seeing the three-parter: the finale is continuing stuff set up in the arc episodes.

The Starburst collection got this right, which is the way I'm rewatching them.
Old 12-22-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It gets more exciting as you go. Not sure why you are having trouble getting through it but I would say keep going. You wont be sorry.
Old 12-22-05, 01:57 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
TracerbBullet - I'm in the same situation you are. I'm watching these as the Starburst editions are released, and I thought the first 2/3 of season two really dragged. Stick it out through the "Lawyers, Guns and Money" three-parter and especially the season finale, "Die Me, Dichotemy", which is fantastic. After those I am hooked on this show. Just started season 3, and it's a great ride.
Old 12-22-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never remember the title of episodes, but farscape is fantastic, and I was really upset as I went along knowing that it will eventually end...I would definatly continue

BTW Refresh me on LG&M, Clockwork..., and Die Me, Dichotomy...no spoilers, just a two or three word clue to get me back into this conversation
Old 12-22-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
BTW...not that Tracerbullet would care, but has any sci-fi series ever had more spankin material than Farscape?

Just when you thought you couldnt picture any more ways to violate Chiana
Spoiler:
Jool and her abs appear
...then you get sick of that and
Spoiler:
Long haired Sokuzu comes along (not the retarted PK Wars version)
and the whole while Erin gets hotter and hotter, culminating with her
Spoiler:
Cher costume on earth in Johns past
and
Spoiler:
her blond lispy princess in the annoying Virtual Reality episode
Old 12-22-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I never remember the title of episodes, but farscape is fantastic, and I was really upset as I went along knowing that it will eventually end...I would definatly continue

BTW Refresh me on LG&M, Clockwork..., and Die Me, Dichotomy...no spoilers, just a two or three word clue to get me back into this conversation
In "A Clockwork Nebari", two Nebari show up on Moya and brain wipe the crew, or something.

Chew: Yes, for whatever reason, episodes 18 & 22 are on one disc, and the three-parter on its own. I have both discs from Netflix out at the moment.

I'll plod through the last five episodes of the season and see where I am then. I remember someone saying that the second season picks up after the "Princess" three-parter, but obviously I haven't found that to be the case.

It seems like there are a lot of episodes surrounding Chiana and D'Argo, and some of my favorite characters like Xan and Pilot are getting shoved aside. Maybe it's just me.
Old 12-22-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, im caught up...the acting strange theme seems to die out after Clockwork...and Liars, Guns...is a really fun storyline, plus, the show becomes more serialized from here on in, as opposed to previously, where it was alot of unrelated episodes.

Plus, I think Browder kicks it up a notch starting about now.
Old 12-23-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tracer...theres a review of the second haf of S2 DVD on the front page of DVDTalk...the reviewer has the same complaints about the beginning of the season as you...and concludes the season with...OK I WANNA SEE SEASON #3!!
Old 12-23-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Tracer...theres a review of the second haf of S2 DVD on the front page of DVDTalk...the reviewer has the same complaints about the beginning of the season as you...and concludes the season with...OK I WANNA SEE SEASON #3!!
Hmm.... interesting. That basically summed up my thoughts on the second season. I'll give it until the end to grab me.
Old 12-23-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 2 dragged for me but man the last 4 episodes hooked me in and made me anxious to see the next season.