Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Kd 30xs955 HDTV Help, green blob on bottom left

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! Bought the tv about 4 months ago and had the tv fixed (through sony's warranty, took about a month to fix it, repair dude kept coming back) about a week ago because optical wasn't working. Optical is working fine now.

Now another problem showed up. There's a green blob on the bottom left of the tv and a smaller purple blob on the bottom right that appeared on Tuesday. Turned it off and turned it back on. The blobs didn't show up anymore I read that the cause of this is, is magnet but my surround sound speakers are magnetically shielded, so what's going on here? Today the green blob showed up again. I noticed that it appears when I move my tv to the side, so I can access the component/antenna/ inputs, this is when the blob appears. How much do you think it will cost to have this repaired (I think I read it needs to be degaussed?) because labor warranty is over but warranty for parts is still in effect. Thanks.
Old 12-22-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I need help! Bought the tv about 4 months ago and had the tv fixed (through sony's warranty, took about a month to fix it, repair dude kept coming back) about a week ago because optical wasn't working. Optical is working fine now.

Now another problem showed up. There's a green blob on the bottom left of the tv and a smaller purple blob on the bottom right that appeared on Tuesday. Turned it off and turned it back on. The blobs didn't show up anymore I read that the cause of this is, is magnet but my surround sound speakers are magnetically shielded, so what's going on here? Today the green blob showed up again. I noticed that it appears when I move my tv to the side, so I can access the component/antenna/ inputs, this is when the blob appears. How much do you think it will cost to have this repaired (I think I read it needs to be degaussed?) because labor warranty is over but warranty for parts is still in effect. Thanks.
Sounds like a magnet is the culprit. Sometimes shielded speakers aren't as shielded as they claim to be. If you move your speakers away from the tv, does the problem go away? degaussing shouldn't cost anything - try unplugging the tv for a few minutes and relocating the speakers. I'm not sure why this problem is just now showing up - maybe the repairman screwed something up.

By the way, if you informed Sony of the problem while the set was under warranty, and they screwed it up in the process of trying to repair it, you shouldn't have to pay anything to fix their mistake.
Old 12-22-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You are probably moving the TV just far enough for the magnet's field to get around the speaker's weak shielding. Maybe there's a magnet somewhere else, like the cabinet door latch. Or something like that. It sounds like the TV has a built-in degausser since it goes away when you restart it. Maybe keep the speakers away when you have to move the TV.