Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help me convince my wife to let me keep my Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Help me convince my wife to let me keep my Xbox 360

Inspired by Goldberg74's GBA Micro thread, I decided to post my problem, I hope it's ok that it wasn't put in the 360 thread. I figured it'd get lost in there.

Anyhow, I bought a premium Xbox 360 at Sam's Club for $486 after tax. It came with an extra wireless controller, and the plug charge kit. Originally I had planned on waiting for a 360, and getting it when it was cheaper. If I got one, to eBay it goes I said.

So after all I went through to get this one, and combined with hearing eBay prices are dropping, I decided to keep it. My wife found out, and she's mad because she says I don't need anymore toys ( ) because I just got a laptop last month. Of course that was for my job, but anyhow.

So she said sell it. I told her I wanted to keep it. She says we don't need another expense. I told her I'd sell my Halo Xbox (which I did), and the extra stuff that came with the 360. Then I'd sell a bunch of DVD"s, and it'd be like the 360 was free in a sense. She hasn't told me whether or not if she agrees, but she probably won't. She's stubburn when it comes to things like this, I guess I am whipped in a sort of way

Anyhow, should I sell it? Should I keep it? Was it cool that I offered to sell my other stuff to make up for it? I need info.
Old 12-21-05, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She sounds like Mrs. Tenacious. Face it. You're screwed!

If your wife is anything like mine, then it just pissed her off more that you're selling your shit to pay for it.
Old 12-21-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think you are ok....I mean if you cannot afford it at all, that's one thing, but if you are selling YOUR stuff to get it, fine...keep it.

Or EBAY it for a minimal profit and buy it again later
Old 12-21-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to kiss my wife when I get home. I got Madden for the 360 last night as an anniversary gift from her.

Good luck. I would stick with the "I'm selling other stuff" argument.
Old 12-21-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's next? A "Help me convince my wife to let me go to bathroom!" thread?
You guys ladies need to take your balls out of your wives purses.
Old 12-21-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I definitely want one. I suppose I could sell it and buy it later. It won't be cheaper, but maybe they won't be in such demand. Part of me also thinks maybe people will be desperate these final few days before Christmas, and I can get rid of it for a $300-$400 profit. If that is the case, she might be a little more open to the fact that I want one.

She might be mad about me selling my stuff. Only because she has the "Well why didn't you sell the stuff regardless, then we could use the money for something else"

Her main point is I don't need one now. I agreed with her before I got it, but now that I have it, I really like it. Although Perfect Dark Zero is kind of slow early on.

I even told her I'd sell my other 2 systems, but then I remembered she plays Tales of Symphonia on the GC, and Wild Arms Alter Code F, Onimusha, and Guitar Hero on the PS2.

She knows she could threaten me, and then I'd give in and sell it for sure. I'm not stupid, it's not worth risking a marraige over

I told her if the Best Buy premium I ordered 3 days ago ever gets here, I'd sell that, but she said "why not sell both?"

So I dunno. I guess I could play the 360 for a couple of weeks, and then get rid of it. There aren't any must have games at this point.

More opinions are welcome
Old 12-21-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I was halfway through posting that, but I went while she was asleep
Old 12-21-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gromit
I'm going to kiss my wife when I get home. I got Madden for the 360 last night as an anniversary gift from her.

Good luck. I would stick with the "I'm selling other stuff" argument.
Our anniversary is this month, too. Maybe I can convince her it's an early gift
Old 12-21-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, I think you are ok....I mean if you cannot afford it at all, that's one thing, but if you are selling YOUR stuff to get it, fine...keep it.

Or EBAY it for a minimal profit and buy it again later
Well we can afford alot of things. You know how women are budget freaks. I can afford to go and spend a few thousand on games now, and not be in trouble. It's just the fact she thinks I don't need one right now.
Old 12-21-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
She sounds like Mrs. Tenacious. Face it. You're screwed!

If your wife is anything like mine, then it just pissed her off more that you're selling your shit to pay for it.
Yeah, she gets pissed when I try to justify things or make excuses.
Old 12-21-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'm not stupid, it's not worth risking a marraige over
Maybe it's just me.. but if buying a video game puts your marriage at risk, you probably need better advice than what can be offered over an internet forum. If she can threaten you to sell your games while you timidly accept that she plays others and refuse to get rid of those.. well, that just speaks for itself.
Old 12-21-05, 08:57 AM

OT:
That reminds me of a old Sam kinison Joke about going out with his friends ,but first asking his wife if he can take his balls with him to the bar.
Old 12-21-05, 08:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'm going to start printing out threads like this and keeping them in a file, so I can pull it out and re-read it in case I ever feel like proposing to someone.

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Well we can afford alot of things. You know how women are budget freaks. I can afford to go and spend a few thousand on games now, and not be in trouble. It's just the fact she thinks I don't need one right now.
So does she not have anything she's into? No crafts or figurines or shoes or jewelry or anything like that? Surely she has some stuff she doesn't *need*, but that brings her enjoyment.
Old 12-21-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nick, I was very happy to hear that you got one when checking out the other thread... and to see what lengths you went to get one, etc. Didn't realize you were interested in sellling it. Seems like you went to a hell of a lot of trouble just to get one to Ebay for a bit of profit.

Personally, I say keep it. Seems a bit ridiculous to go through what you did just to sell it. I contemplated selling mine very briefly, but did not. Its been waiting in a box in the closet for a month for Christmas, and at this point I would not get rid of it (Got mine with Store Credit from Game Rush, but basically agreed to wait so that my wife and kids could present me with it on Christmas rather than have my wife go and spend money we did not have on something else I'd rather not have anyway, so I've got my own relationship fun )
Old 12-21-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it's just me.. but if buying a video game puts your marriage at risk, you probably need better advice than what can be offered over an internet forum. If she can threaten you to sell your games while you timidly accept that she plays others and refuse to get rid of those.. well, that just speaks for itself.
I was just saying, it'd never come to that. We have our squabbles, but it's never about money or games. Well except now

But seriously, we're not on thin ice.
Old 12-21-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Apollo
OT:
That reminds me of a old Sam kinison Joke about going out with his friends ,but first asking his wife if he can take his balls with him to the bar.
Kinison was one of the greats
Old 12-21-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG

I think I'm going to start printing out threads like this and keeping them in a file, so I can pull it out and re-read it in case I ever feel like proposing to someone.

So does she not have anything she's into? No crafts or figurines or shoes or jewelry or anything like that? Surely she has some stuff she doesn't *need*, but that brings her enjoyment.
A crap load of Garfield stuff, and she's a packrat. We were cleaning out her Mom's garage last year and she was trying to keep an old cassette tape. I said toss it, we already have the CD. She reluctantly did.
Old 12-21-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sniper308
Nick, I was very happy to hear that you got one when checking out the other thread... and to see what lengths you went to get one, etc. Didn't realize you were interested in sellling it. Seems like you went to a hell of a lot of trouble just to get one to Ebay for a bit of profit.

Personally, I say keep it. Seems a bit ridiculous to go through what you did just to sell it. I contemplated selling mine very briefly, but did not. Its been waiting in a box in the closet for a month for Christmas, and at this point I would not get rid of it (Got mine with Store Credit from Game Rush, but basically agreed to wait so that my wife and kids could present me with it on Christmas rather than have my wife go and spend money we did not have on something else I'd rather not have anyway, so I've got my own relationship fun )
Yeah, I originally had plans to sell it. She thought I was the whole time, which is why she didn't say anything when I got it. It wasn't until I had opened the box, and started messing with it that she spoke her mind. I had explained to her earlier my plan of selling some of my stuff to make up for the cost but she didn't really respond to it.

I guess if I found $400 on the ground, and said I am buying a 360, she'd say "why, you don't need one, let's use that money for something else."

It also sucks that I just paid $400 for dental work for the both of us. She had a couple of cavities, and needed a deep clean. I just needed the clean. I was trying to tell her that the 360 is my reward for paying and going through that
Old 12-21-05, 09:18 AM

After reading the first couple of responces to this thread, I was about to write exactly what Pixy wrote in his first response but he beat me to it. TAKE OFF THE SKIRT, AND GROW A PAIR OF BALLS. Obviously you have a job and pay for your half of the bills in this marrage. If you want this and can justly afford it, or you are willing to part with other things to "pay" for it, you have every right to have it. especially if it will bring you a little happiness.
Then, after reading a few more of the responces and seeing your "marrage at risk" over a console comment, Pixy beat me to me response again. (DAMN YOU PIXY) If something so little as you keeping a video game console is going to put your marrage at risk, the two of you need help and should go seek out counceling. There has to be a little give and take here. My wife may not like that I am into games as much as I am or that I just layed down over 800$ for my 360 and games for it, even though I also still have my original XBOX, PS1, PS2, Gamecube and GB SP but she has no right to tell me I need to sell it especially while she buys everything she "needs". (Cough, wants, cough.) Keep the Damn 360, and your things and tell her to go make you some dinner! (OK, I was just kidding about that last remark)
Old 12-21-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
After reading the first couple of responces to this thread, I was about to write exactly what Pixy wrote in his first response but he beat me to it. TAKE OFF THE SKIRT, AND GROW A PAIR OF BALLS. Obviously you have a job and pay for your half of the bills in this marrage. If you want this and can justly afford it, or you are willing to part with other things to "pay" for it, you have every right to have it. especially if it will bring you a little happiness.
Then, after reading a few more of the responces and seeing your "marrage at risk" over a console comment, Pixy beat me to me response again. (DAMN YOU PIXY) If something so little as you keeping a video game console is going to put your marrage at risk, the two of you need help and should go seek out counceling. There has to be a little give and take here. My wife may not like that I am into games as much as I am or that I just layed down over 800$ for my 360 and games for it, even though I also still have my original XBOX, PS1, PS2, Gamecube and GB SP but she has no right to tell me I need to sell it especially while she buys everything she "needs". (Cough, wants, cough.) Keep the Damn 360, and your things and tell her to go make you some dinner! (OK, I was just kidding about that last remark)

She makes more and pays more then me for right now, so she has a little control over the finances. I am going to school, and working part time, soon I'll be making more than her. But for now, that's how it is.

And again, our marriage isn't in danger. Didn't you see the ?
Old 12-21-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My fiance told me that as well. She was like " why do you need that when we can pay for the dove's and the flowers with that money"

I said "the doves will die if i dont get this xbox"

no but i sold my modded xbox to cover the cost....
Old 12-21-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-21-05, 10:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

You should have bought something "fun" for her at the same time to come home to divert the issue. I actually had the same problem as you but I cleaned the house like crazy and that seemed to smooth everything over for the most part.
Old 12-21-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
You should have bought something "fun" for her at the same time to come home to divert the issue. I actually had the same problem as you but I cleaned the house like crazy and that seemed to smooth everything over for the most part.
I was thinking of taking her lunch today after work. That's a start, I suppose.
Old 12-21-05, 10:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Have you cleaned the house or washed her car? Fuck it do both.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.