Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox is about to die...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Xbox is about to die...

I turned on my xbox yesterday and the light around the eject button began flashing green and red and then I got an error code 7. I looked this up to basically determine that I'm screwed and my harddrive wants to commit suicide. The xbox is only two years old so I feel somewhat cheated that it no longer wants to live.

To the real point though is that I would like to move my games off the xbox onto the next one I buy. How is the best way to save my files? I don't have a lot of saved games and was thinking that maybe one of those memory cards could do the trick? What do you all think?

Also, with the xbox 360 just coming out how long would I have to wait to see a price drop in the xbox. If I wait until a bit after Christmas do you think I'd see a significant decrease in price?

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by HokiEE; 12-20-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the moderators allow talk about modding, so I expect this thread will be deleted soon.
Old 12-20-05, 04:35 PM

If they don't then I can change some of the content of the post. I didn't see a sticky about it, so I apologize if it is the case. Moderators let me know if I need to change the content, I'm more curious about how to save my files.
Old 12-20-05, 04:49 PM

Ok, now can anyone actually help with the problem?
Old 12-20-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can try asking on the forums at www.xbox-scene.com, they seem more hip to technical problems and are more loose on what you can talk about.
Old 12-20-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*wipes sweat from forehead*

YOUR Xbox... ok...
Old 12-20-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.xbox-hq.com. Look at the Softmodding section.
Old 12-20-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
If you (edited) question is about moving over all your saves, may I suggest you get a flashdrive and one of the adaptors sold online. I moved all my game saves over from one xbox to another on one 128 MB jumpdrive and it worked great (except for KOTOR, Jade Empire and a few other games that don't allow for transport of saved games). We had a thread on this -- I'll see if I can find it.
Old 12-20-05, 08:58 PM

... Okay, here's the thread. I don't know if that cable is still available, but if so, this is certainly the way to go.
Old 12-20-05, 10:14 PM

Decker - Thanks a lot for the idea. I just turned it on again and now receive and error code 9...which apparently is worse than an error code 7. I think I'm beyond the point of salvaging anything off the drive.

Does anyone have any idea if there will be a dramatic price drop in the Xbox shortly after Christmas?
Old 12-21-05, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by HokiEE
Decker - Thanks a lot for the idea. I just turned it on again and now receive and error code 9...which apparently is worse than an error code 7. I think I'm beyond the point of salvaging anything off the drive.

Does anyone have any idea if there will be a dramatic price drop in the Xbox shortly after Christmas?
I hope so, mine has an error 21
Old 12-21-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HokiEE

Probably not, they don't want to compete against themselves. Hit Meijer up, they have $30 off $150 coupons until Friday.
Old 12-24-05, 06:08 AM

Why can't you just use a Standard Memory card to transfer your files from one Xbox to another..?

Later - Travis
Old 12-24-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xbox needs food badly
xbox has gained a level
Old 12-24-05, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by eton03
Why can't you just use a Standard Memory card to transfer your files from one Xbox to another..?

Later - Travis
You can, but to transfer a large number of game saves off a HD would take several cards and be quite expensive. One flashdrive and a cable is much cheaper.
Old 12-24-05, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
You can, but to transfer a large number of game saves off a HD would take several cards and be quite expensive. One flashdrive and a cable is much cheaper.
The microsoft memory crads are 8 MB and $30, after i looked into the cable route I found that the cable was about $6 and I already have a usb stick, so it saves me a good bit of money. I also don't have the second xbox to tranfer the files over to yet (crossing my fingers for a price drop) so I need to save the files for a little bit.