TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office vs. The Office....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Office vs. The Office....

http://www.theofficevstheoffice.com/

Mission Statement: To compare and contrast the BBC original version with the NBC version of the television show 'The Office,' both of the same name.
From my perspective, I'm gonna say that people are gonna side with which ever they were indroduced to first. Kinda like the old and new Star Wars trilogies. I watched the BBC version in it's entirety before watching the US version, so, to me, the US version is just a rehash....kinda that, "been there, done that" feeling.

But, we all know what opinions are like.

Last edited by MartinBlank; 12-19-05 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched the first series of the UK version before watching the US version, and I prefer the US version. I think there is enough daylight between the two in several key regards that it isn't just a matter of which one a person saw first. I would think that the person's specific sense of humor and the type of office experiences they have had would make a difference because it appears to me that the comedy is at least a little different, as are the situations explored.
Old 12-19-05, 02:31 AM

I watched the UK version before the US. I prefer the UK version. I still havn't been able to get into the US version. It doesn't feel as much like a rehash to me, it's just that I don't find myself laughing all that much. I can watch the whole UK series over and over again and still laugh alot every time.
Old 12-19-05, 08:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Merkin Muffley is running a series of "VS" polls comparing the two. Perhaps we should keep our discussions in those weekly threads?

And anyone who calls the US version a "rehash" has likely only seen the pilot.
Old 12-19-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started off as a UK fan before watching the US version. So of course, I liked the UK version better. But the US version has really grown on me, especially this second season. In fact, its probably my favorite show on TV right now. So I have definitely been converted and prefer the US version now.
Old 12-19-05, 09:21 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Never seen the UK version, but am completely enamoured with the US version.
Old 12-19-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i also started with the UK version, and fell in love with the show. when i heard it was coming to the US, i rolled my eyes and was completely against it as i checked out the first few episodes.. but it really got better after that. i've definitely taken a liking to the US Office, and it's one of my favorite shows on TV. i don't know if i can say i like it better than the original, but i think the fact that we're still getting new episodes with no end in sight gives it a slight advantage.
Old 12-19-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started with the UK version. I think the US version is awesome, but the UK version is pure genius.
Old 12-19-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw the UK version first, and a year ago, I would've said that the US version doesn't even compare. However, I think I may actually like the US version better now.
Old 12-19-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by kitkat
I started with the UK version. I think the US version is awesome, but the UK version is pure genius.
That's pretty much my view as well. I was worried that the US version was going to be as bad as US Coupling, but thankfully that turned out not to be the case.
Old 12-19-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I prefer the UK version, but the US version is one of those rare remakes that is worthy of the original.
Old 12-19-05, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
I prefer the UK version, but the US version is one of those rare remakes that is worthy of the original.
Ditto.
Old 12-19-05, 09:10 PM

I love the US version more even though the UK version is insanely rewatchable and has me in stitches. I found myself in the "worried it would be as bad as Coupling" group too and I was pleasantly surprised. The full season order of the show is enough to make me not so sad about Arrested Development only getting half an order, although I'll still be really upset if it's cancelled and canned.

+Danny
Old 12-19-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino
I agree. I like both versions, and they are very different in some ways. But to settle this, I asked myself the following:

"If there was a brand new episode of the BBC and NBC version of The Office on tonight at the same time, which would you watch first?"

The BBC version was the easy answer.
Old 12-20-05, 05:50 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I now see them as two different shows

The second series of the US office has really grown on me

you really can't beat the original UK series, but i also really like the US version now, after a weak start, it has started to create it's own identity
Old 12-20-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Link_182
I watched the UK version before the US. I prefer the UK version. I still havn't been able to get into the US version. It doesn't feel as much like a rehash to me, it's just that I don't find myself laughing all that much. I can watch the whole UK series over and over again and still laugh alot every time.
They never should have remade the show.
Original!
Old 12-20-05, 11:20 PM

The US version is slowly catching the UK version, but will never surpass it.
Old 12-20-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dcswirl
So...what you're saying is that you are not capable of making a fair comparison between the two. Please know I'm not attacking you for it -- I know I'm not capable of making comparisons in other situations because I love one of the things compared too much. I'm just suggesting that this sort of blanket statement has to mean a person isn't capable of objectivity.
Old 12-22-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
In general I feel that the UK did a slightly better job with the characters they have in common but there are so many characters in the US version that I love like Ryan, Stanley, Phyllis, Tobey, Angela, and Oscar. The only ones I'm so so about are the old guy and Kelly. That's why the US has the edge for me, just the amount of time they've had.
Old 12-23-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I agree. I like both versions, and they are very different in some ways. But to settle this, I asked myself the following:

"If there was a brand new episode of the BBC and NBC version of The Office on tonight at the same time, which would you watch first?"

The BBC version was the easy answer.
Thats an unfair way to judge. You expect new episodes of the US office, so its no big deal...a new BBC ep would be a special event
Old 12-23-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by dcswirl
How is it possible for you to know this?
Old 12-23-05, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
How is it possible for you to know this?
Jesus, it's just an opinion. Steve Carell is great in the show, but he pales in comparison to Gervais, and Rainn Wilson isn't as funny as Mackenzie Crook was either. Again, just an opinion, and it has nothing to do with objectivity. The US Office is my fav TV show next to AD, but the UK version will always be special to me.